Author Topic: The Last Human [Finished]  (Read 7142 times)

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
  • om tare tuttare ture soha
Re: The Last Human [In Progress]
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 08:18:47 am »
"Well, I captured Vani and the Decoy Drone Fab. I discovered that decoy drones are very useful indeed. They drain a lot of juice but they attract the enemies fire like nothing else.

I had decided to invest research in more defensive tech, as I felt that too many of my mobile forces were tied up defending wormholes.
I unlocked spider turrets and MK II turrets and began to position them. Meanwhile I began to group the forces thus freed up, in the Onnoco system as a preparation to raiding Thobo - A Class III that had been reinforcing for too long. I got some intel about a Cross Planet Attack of over a thousand ships massing. Having so many scouts about enabled me to watch the enemy's movements and I concluded that the main thrust of the CPA would be through Onnoco.
I was wrong.
While my attention was diverted to making sure that I didn't loose the Decoy Fab in the same way in which I lost the Advanced Lab, the AI forces rushed into Oripum. Over a thousand of them.
Desperately I tried to organise the defenses, but they were never going to do more than slow the AI down - I now had a thousand enemy ships just one hop from my home base. I ordered every ship that I had been massing for the raid in Onnoco to the defense of my base in Ginwig. Now every second was critical.
A good job I acted so decisively.
No sooner had my forces arrived than the AI was pouring through the wormhole.

Nearly 900 had made it through, the majority of them heading straight for my HQ.
Luckily my forces managed to intercept, but they outnumbered me heavily. Thank the stars for my MK II tractors and other turrets, not to mention the 15 spider turrets. All helping.
The decoy drone I had flown to HQ for inspection was a life-saver. It soaked up a million units of damage while my forces positioned themselves to defend. I noticed that, as usual during big battles there was a Regen Astro Train passing through.

Meanwhile the newly researched Riot Control Starship with it's full complement of state-of-the-art engine damaging weoponry slowed the AI further. The fight began to look a little more even. But I just didn't have the numbers to stop some bombers from getting within range of Command HQ.

The pictures speak for themselves. I admit that I thought it was all over. I think that if just a half a dozen more bombers had made it within range then me, this installation, and all the Earth DNA that is buried in the caverns below would now be dust.
I intend to re-take Oripum and beef up my defenses so this sort of close-call does not happen again.

One thing troubles me - despite all my scouting I have still no idea where to hit the AI. I have been betting on it having some important weakness somewhere. I must find it soon.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:28:19 pm by deMangler »

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »
"In the absence of finding an ideal target, I have chosen what I consider to be the best one available. The system of Sachar."

"I need to scout that part of the galaxy further, but my scouts are just not surviving the journey from HQ, so I need to hold a system there. If I am to operate in that area I really have to neutralise the raid engine at Sachar and also there is an advanced lab and a data centre.
In order to move a fleet in that direction I will have to finally take Dumelzon. I didn't want to do that because I don't want the three adjacent systems to start heavily reinforcing but I will just have to take out a few guard posts and hope for the best. Dumelzon is not going to be easy to defend, but it is neccessary to neutralise the Black Hole Machine there one way or the other, also, it is the last AI system adjacent to my home world so holding it is better than just taking out the BHM, considering how much AI attention that attracts I may as well get as much out of it as I can. Holding Dumelzon will also simplify the defense of Onnoco and Ginwig, further releasing resources to defend Oripum, Ismeick, and Vani.
It is not my intention to try to hold any of the intervening systems unless it turns out that I have to. Holding what I have is hard enough.
Operation Sachar Begns."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:34:55 am by deMangler »

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 10:34:21 am »
"Progress is slow.
It seems that no sooner do I collect together a force to mount an attack than I need to use it to defend, five and a half hours later and I am only halfway to my objective. Still, I have taken Dumelzon and Zopbu and have gained the knowledge and resources that come with that...."

"Having lost and regained the Oripum system more than once and defended against ever more powerful waves of attack I begin to suspect that the AI is simply using me to train it's forces, or develop algorithms, or fulfil who-knows-what exigencies bequethed to it by it's programming.
In a little over ten minutes, if my intel is correct, another cross planet attack of over 1000 ships is due to be unleashed. While I have no doubt I will survive it I wonder if I am not simply dancing to the tune of some buried subroutine and my aspirations to save the human race are nothing more than a fantasy cooked up to give my desperate existence meaning.
Nevertheless, I will press on with my plan. I must."

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:36:46 pm by deMangler »

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »
"The AI cross planet attack swarmed into the Oripum system, smashing through the defenses and refusing to be slowed by my spider turrets and riot-control starships."

"Oripum falls quickly."

"Reinforcements have begun to arrive at the home system of Ginwig, however, too many of my forces have yet to arrive from recent offensive actions. This is not looking very hopeful."

"Again, the AI forces outnumber mine. The last time I was in this position I survived by the skin of my teeth"

"Not this time...."

"Checking the diagonal"

"And so that's it for Organic Last Redundant Backup Contingency Humanoid Clone Sigma. If there is hope for the future of the human race then it lies elsewhere...."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk