Author Topic: Killing the Devourer Golem (No joke)  (Read 9418 times)

Offline zeusalmighty

• Full Member Mark II
Killing the Devourer Golem (No joke)
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:36:19 pm »
I've had many memorable campaigns but one moment definitely took be my surprise. Playing on an "X galaxy," the devourer golem played a pivotal role for me in clearing up the AI in the early game. I was eventually surprised that I stopped getting notice on its presence in the galaxy, and after searching for it on on the tab screen, I was all the more surprised to see that it was missing all-together.

So what happened?

I had to go back to an old save to find out. I was playing with nomad planets and successfully armed it against one of the AI homeworlds. Returning to that save, I discovered that the devourer was actually present on the homeworld when I delivered the satisfying planet-sized planet-killer to the AI's front door.

So yeah, there is a way to kill the indestructible devourer golem. Twas glorious. 

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Killing the Devourer Golem (No joke)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »
Congratulations, I don't think I've heard of someone doing that before :)

"I've never met a cookie too large... until now"
- Epitaph
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zeusalmighty

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:34 pm »
Just changed the meta  8)

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »
Pretty cool. That has to be the only way to destroy the Devourer. I don't know if even the Exodian Blade combined with the Spire Fleet would have firepower to out dps it's healing ability. Probably not.

"I've never met a cookie too large... until now"
"Finally Monsieur, a wafer thin mint."
-Monty Python.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 02:22:01 pm »
"Finally Monsieur, a wafer thin mint."
Cookie Monster bits everywhere!

Pretty cool. That has to be the only way to destroy the Devourer. I don't know if even the Exodian Blade combined with the Spire Fleet would have firepower to out dps it's healing ability. Probably not.
Enough photon lances does the trick, as we discovered in the Light-of-the-Spire days. The Devourer's salvo completely eradicated all parts of the Spire Fleet it could hit, and would have fully healed the devourer, but those shots have travel time and so it was long dead by the time the salvo landed.

That's why the devourer was made officially invincible.

Three expansions later, a player finds a strategy that defeats official invincibility.

I love this game.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline thethingamabob

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 03:13:06 am »
I wondered why the devourer had vampirism even though it was invulnerable.

Do you have any documented cases of that invulnerability wearing off? In a coop game of me and one other, the trader randomly started taking damage. I forget if it was splash damage, or if our ships started attacking it. It got down to ~50% before it jumped through a wormhole, and IIRC it was invulnerable again after that. I have some pictures of this, but think I lost the save.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk