Author Topic: Heroes of Skill and Patience 3: K's Personal AI War Blog.  (Read 13458 times)

Offline _K_

• Full Member Mark III
Heroes of Skill and Patience 3: K's Personal AI War Blog.
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
Decided i want to write down stories of my AI war games somewhere, so why not let other people read em as well? Making a thread for each game seems too much, so thread for all games i play should be fine.

I usually play the game for the challenge of it, so i have set myself some rules to keep the game challenging and fun for myself. Then i just set myself some goal (or challenge) and keep on trying to beat it. Once its done, i add something new and different and try to beat that one, and so on.

Self-imposed rules:
  • Dont save-scum:
    Always save the game when quitting.
    Always load he oldest available save.
  • Accept your fate and fight to the end:
    Never reroll map seeds or AI types, never manually pick a homeworld.

Challenge 1:

• 40 planets. Realistic. 1 random homeworld. All expansions.
  • All ships and unit classes available, including CSG's.
  • Minor factions: Broken golems - hard. Zenith Miners. Neinzul Preservation wardens. Fallen Spire. Spirecraft - hard.
  • No AI modiers. 1 AIP every 30 min.
  • Special Plots: Second AI - Hybrids. Advanced Hybrids.
  • 1 player, myself. No handicap.
  • All random lvl7 AI, grey color, no handicap.
  • All random lvl8 AI, red color, no handicap.
This is the current challenge level I'm currently trying to beat. Basically, there are 2 AI's, where the red one is the "Big Brother", who has more guns and uses hybrids, while the other one more of a supporter.

Game 1:
Status: Defeat.. Map seed:1380182673, AI types: Attritioner/Extreme raider. Game time: 1:50:17
Link
Game 2:
Status: Defeat.. Map seed:882978692, AI types: The Core/Technologist raider. Game time: 5:57:51
Link
Game 3:
Status: Defeat.. Map seed:636717294, AI types: Vanilla/Technologist Turtle. Game time: 4:49:34
Link
Game 4:
Status: Defeat.. Map seed:1080103856, AI types: Sledge hammer/Spire hammer. Game time: 7:22:15
Link
Game 5:
Status: Victory.. Map seed: 940662498, AI types: Experimentalist/Camouflager. Game time: 15:57:00
Link 1, Link 2.

Challenge 2
  • 90 planets. Realistic. 1 random homeworld. All expansions.
  • All ships and unit classes available, including CSG's.
  • Minor factions: Fallen Spire, Zenith Devourer.
  • No AI modifers. 1 AIP every 30 min.
  • Special Plots: Second AI - Astro Trains. Beachheads.
  • Random Harder lvl5 AI, grey color, no handicap.
  • All random lvl7 AI, red color, no handicap.
  • Researching some techs disallowed: MKIII fleet ships, MKIII harvesters and econ stations.

After the recent updates, i have realised how many things i have not tried beacuse i've been trying to play optimally. And since its a silly game anyway, why not add a whole lot of other things i havent tried: large map, trains, beachheads. I also intend to actually try and beat the game through spire campaign.

Game 1:
Status: defeat. Map seed: 590668480, AI types:Spire/One-way doormaster. Game time: 15:08:56
Link
Link
Link

So i (probably temporarily) gave up on challenge 2 because of a 2-year hiatus.

Challenge 3:Get some rust off.
  • 70 planets. Simple. 1 random homeworld. All expansions bu Destroyer of worlds. I will buy it the next time it hits 50%-75%, okay?
  • All ships and unit classes available,  CSG's on, full fog of war, dont show unexplored planets.
  • Minor factions: Human Resistance 4, Marauders 4, Zenith Miners 2, Botnet Golem Hard 5, Neinzul enclaves 3, Dark Spire 2, Showdown Devices.
  • No AI modifers. 1 AIP every 30 min.
  • Special Plots: AI 1: Hybrids 4, Adv Hybrids 4, Hunter 3, Shark-B 3.
  • Random Moderate/Easier 7.6 AI, grey color, no handicap.
  • Random Harder 8.6 AI, red color, no handicap.

The point of the challenge is just to play a moderately challenging game to get some rust off and get used to the changes, of which many have occured. Luckily, i have been checking the updates throughout those 2 years so i have an idea whats going on.
Game 1:
Status: defeat. Map seed: 354001583, AI types: Assassin/Alarmist. Game time: 1:20:10
Game 2:
Status: defeat. Map seed 1369955652, AI types: Assassin/Vengeful. Game time: 4:07:58
Link
Game 3:
Status: defeat. Map seed 1898931911, AI Types: Grav Driller/Extreme Raider. Game time: 5:06:47
Link 1, Link 2
Game 4:
Status: defeat. Map seed 395346100, AI Types: spireling/Golemite. Game time: 4:56:39
Link 1, Link 2
Game 5:
Status: In Progess. Map seed ???, AI Types: ???/??. Game time: 0:00:00
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:47:38 AM by _K_ »

Offline _K_

• Full Member Mark III
Re: Heroes of Skill and Patience 3: K's Personal AI War Blog.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
Past games
These games have been played before i started the thread, so i can only vaguely retell what happened. I have played these a while ago, peobably somewhere around 5.20-5.21

Game 1
Not much is remembered about this game. In fact, i dont remember it at all and there are no savegames left. But looking at the 1:50 gametime, apparently i got owned too fast. If i recall correctly it has something to do with me being careless, and dying to either the first exo-wave, or just some unlucky wave.

Game 2
Now this is where it got fun. The AI rolls have been pretty evil for me in this one.

This is the screenshot taken shortly before my game loss.
Basically the game was going relatively smooth, the AI was pressuring me, but not too hard, so i have taken over that nice cluster to the left, which had minimal number of connections to the AI systems, so i didn't have to overextend my defences.
The biggest problem was the Haju system, which was one of the first systems i have taken. It was being border-agressed and attacked all the time, sometimes even going down. Once i was done with that left system cluster, i have decided it was finally time to capture an adv. factory, which was in Vudoorsav (P8 marker). So i have sent my entire fleet to the Fuusyi... and met way more ships whan i could handle. That system, Fuusyi, has been on alert since i have taken Haju, around 1 hour from start, and i have never disturbed it ever since... until now. So the entire defence force of that system, which was something about maybe 500-600 Mk IV-V ships was unleashed upon me. My fleet died in seconds, then went down the Haju system. I was ready to make my stand at the home system. But the AI was more of a tricky dick, it sents its ships to that unprotected system cluster, which had minimal defence anywhere. In a few minutes, i was robbed of my entire resource income base, which would take a while to defeat. However, that gave me time to rebuild some ships at home and regroup. With AI fleet scattered and attritioned by light (but numerous) system defences, i have barely managed to clean up the mess and was about to start recolonising the systems. But then i got a wave alert. The game was lost 6 minutes later.

game 3
This time, i rolled a turtle AI. I didn't know if i should be happy about it, as handling waves felt like less of a problem than handling planets with over 1000 ships. Knowing from the previous experience how dangerous this can be, imade a new rule: NEVER let your fleet idle. If you have nothing to do with your fleet, go neuter some system, dont let it just sit around.

I didn't have too much trouble with regular activities, slowly gaining systems and getting valuable stuff. I have decided to use the Isdrevar system as some sort of punching bag, letting the AI reinforce it and neutering it often. IIRC i didn't want to take it over because i didn't want to set the adjacent lvl3 system on alert, and i was too busy to go take that one over as well. So i've been slowly setting up my border and trying to get to the Tozor system (P7 marker), which contained an ARP+armor golem+blade spawner fab+bombard V fab+Yng Weasel V fab+A-Prime gen. Taking that system and turning it into a massive fortress of awesomeness was my short-term plan.
But none of that came to happen, because of the exo-waves. I have barely managed to sur