Author Topic: First game after 8.0  (Read 3801 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
First game after 8.0
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »
I've started recently my first campaign after 8.0 has launched. I played the tutorial and tutorial campaign first because i wanted to see the new things there before I get a foot back into the game.

After I finished them I started a camapign. I wanted to go easy because I didn't know what awaits me.
My start was 6/6 The Tank/Fortressbaron.
I have to say that after some hours into the game this could have been a mistake. The AI is too easy at this point, I should've chosen at least 7/7 but so be it. I will get through it.

This is the current layout of the galaxy map:

I have currently 3 hours into the game plus additional 2,5 hours real time (I pause a LOT because I do some other stuff at the same time). Already destroyed the C and D CSG, 2 As and E already found.
Also controll two Tur-V Fabricators, one with Flak, one with missile (as you can see on the galaxy map). ANother one for Fighters is found as well, also a ARS just next to it sotting on top of an A generator.
So my next way is pretty clear to me.

So, let's get to the new features I've seen by now. The most visual change to me at the start was the merging of crystal and metall. I have to say that I really like this. Not only makes this the micromanaging a lot easier (you don't have check for two resources anymore) but also have I never a full cap anymore. This is AWESOME. At the old system I always was full on resources, I thought "where the hell shall I spend all that stuff?". 
The only time when I had some problems where, when I tried to finish bigger projects like Zenith Generators and Golems. You might think that not reaching the cap is something bad I can see that it is much more balanced now. Before you've fairly never had resource problems. Planets with high resource spots were good but not a "must have". they are still not but you have now a higher priority on getting good metal spots. My cap is currently full but most of the time I'm around the 300.000 - 500.000 spot. I'm full because I've built all my fleet ships right now and there is nothing to build at the moment.

Another thing I noticed is the planet-wide cap of turrets. I've read about ir already on other threads and now experincen it myself I have to say it is somehing I like. It makes defending my planets easier, I don't have to manage to the very smallest point where exactly I have to build my turrets otherweise I ran out of the cap. That made it a little annoying, I felt forced to handle my turrets on a very small number on planets. The new system is much more likeable while still not entirely destroying the need of creating chokepoints and gate raids.  You jave to balance your energy balance now though. YOu might woner why I have so damn much. Well, I conquered two Zenith Generators plus a Gravity drill, I will never have to worry about energy anymore. Which is good of course.

My favorite part of the new system is however the new hacking mechanic. Hacking before felt kind of... plain. It was just an additional income of knowledge but whenever I needed knowledge I just took a new planet.
The new system however is easy to read (positive number good, negative number bad), the AI response makes sense and I can now permanently unlock stuff without having to worry about loosing the factories, fabricators or whatever is tied to it. This gives a lot of new options and helps to create a better fleet.
I didn't had a chance to use the offensive hacking options out but it might be useful against the Fortress Baron.

To summarize it I'm very happy with the changes from 7.0 to 8.0 It is a clearly improvement to the last main build and it really got me hung up on AI War again.

I'm currently not testing Destroyer of Worlds but I will after this campaign. I want to see the infamous Exodian Blade for myself.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: First game after 8.0
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:29:54 pm »
Okay, I'm currently stuck with 4 Champion Nemesis at my game. They head directly to my home Station and kill me. Any tips for them?

Edit: Nevermind, I've put forcefields over the wormholes of adjacent planets so they cannot reach my home planet easily. Some came thorugh but they were already weakened enough to be killed from my defenses.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:03:42 pm by TheVampire100 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk