Author Topic: Double Godlike  (Read 10799 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Re: Double Godlike
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 04:29:09 am »
Ah, but you have to work through ~5-10 hours of CPAs and waves which have the potential to kill you and you have to really build defenses and stuff...
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 04:42:37 am »
you also have a max AIP of about 100, which is hilariously pitiful, and next to no strategic concerns whatsoever. YAWN

Offline Kjara

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 05:34:03 am »
Eh, there are honestly ways to exploit both imo.  I agree that (once you know what you are doing--aka don't alert the homeworlds or any planets you really need to take until you have the forces to take them and spread the alert out as much as possible to dilute the ai's reinforcements to areas you could care less about) the end game tends to be easier in 80 planet maps(often much much easier), while certain types of rush strategies (for example: http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,4787.0.html) can make 10 planet maps way too easy.  The big plus to 80 planet maps for me at least is that you can't bypass the initial/midgame difficulty (usually), but both have their ups and downs.

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:46 am »
80 planet (simple map type) is much much harder on high difficulties than 10 planet because no matter how economically you play, you are very stretched out and exposed. godlike waves are HUGE. as a result, you have to cover alot of territory against an enemy that can hit you ludicrously hard just about anywhere and that is just moving TOWARD the home system. with 10 planet, you dont have to worry about logistics and overstretching at all, and its that macro game of trying to balance defending your exposed assets with attacking that is really where stratergy, rather than tactics comes in.

Offline allmybase

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 12:47:37 pm »
you also have a max AIP of about 100, which is hilariously pitiful, and next to no strategic concerns whatsoever. YAWN

The only thing hilarious here is that you didn't open the save, I had almost 600 AIP when I won.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »

110.  Plus N per X minutes.  AIP starts at 10 and killing on AI gives you +100.

Offline Kryzite

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 05:18:04 pm »
No waves immediately makes me go meh.

2 AI 10 (especially mad bomber and tanks) without waves just feels like playing HoN with easy mode on, not how the game is meant to be played.

~Kryzite
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:19:58 pm by Kryzite »

Offline allmybase

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 11:30:51 pm »
No waves immediately makes me go meh.

2 AI 10 (especially mad bomber and tanks) without waves just feels like playing HoN with easy mode on, not how the game is meant to be played.

~Kryzite

Waves aren't nearly as difficult as you make them out to be.

In fact, I was fighting the hardest waves ever - 2000 threat of core ships, with no turrets unlocked, because of the backwash of nuking and killing the AI homeworld, with 6+ zenith starships.

Not even cross planets are that tough - and this was without unlocking any turrets.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 09:16:08 am »
What I find most amusing is how heated this debate is. We all play this game in a way we feel is most enjoyable. For me, that's setting the AI just slightly above what I think I can handle, and dying a lot. For some, it's chasing achievements, for others it's epeen. What does it really matter?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 09:33:44 am »
For me, that's setting the AI just slightly above what I think I can handle, and dying a lot.

Losing is fun!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 04:19:27 am »
For me, that's setting the AI just slightly above what I think I can handle, and dying a lot.

Losing is fun!
Indeed it is! I'm very good at that part...keep running out of beer/food :/
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 08:56:13 am »
FYI, we are planning to make achievements (at least top-tier ones like this one) a bit more discriminating about the settings of the game.  Not a big priority with the other stuff going on, but it's planned.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Rod Serling

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:49 pm »

In fact, I was fighting the hardest waves ever - 2000 threat of core ships, with no turrets unlocked, because of the backwash of nuking and killing the AI homeworld, with 6+ zenith starships.

Not even cross planets are that tough - and this was without unlocking any turrets.

Thing is, you were fighting the hardest waves ever, on your time, on your terms.

Waves individually are not supposed to immanently break your game, then the game would be broken! Waves are about the ebb and flow, the constant threat, the slowly wearing down of your defences until they snap.

Fighting 2000 core ships when you have lightning warheads prepped and ready is one thing.

Fighting 1000 IV ships when your lightning warheads have been vaporized by your fight with the 2000 core ships, and you haven't had time to build them back up is another thing.

Fighting the second 1000 IV ships after that first wave you barely held off because you got lucky.... that's the point of waves.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:04:47 pm by Rod Serling »

Offline allmybase

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 12:23:22 am »

Thing is, you were fighting the hardest waves ever, on your time, on your terms.

Waves individually are not supposed to immanently break your game, then the game would be broken! Waves are about the ebb and flow, the constant threat, the slowly wearing down of your defences until they snap.

Fighting 2000 core ships when you have lightning warheads prepped and ready is one thing.

Fighting 1000 IV ships when your lightning warheads have been vaporized by your fight with the 2000 core ships, and you haven't had time to build them back up is another thing.

Fighting the second 1000 IV ships after that first wave you barely held off because you got lucky.... that's the point of waves.

It's not as easy as you think. It's only easy because I told you how I did it. I had to figure out how to beat 2000 core ships with nothing but a pitiful turret cap. You only say it's easy after I told you I lightning warheaded them, but it took some great thinking on my part to figure it out, because no one here had ever discussed fighting a wave of that magnitude with such a pitiful resource/knowledge base.

And like I said before - waves are not nearly as difficult as you make them out to be. What wave do yo not fight on your own terms? Being at 500 AIP doesn't spawn 1000 MKIVs. Hint, it doesn't even spawn MKIIIs, and not nearly 1000.

What makes you think waves are so difficult?

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 12:50:28 am »
I refer you to the epic chronicles of BoatMurdered! http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk