Author Topic: 1/1 Chaos Rules the Galaxy  (Read 13631 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: 1/1 Chaos Rules the Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 12:35:34 pm »
oh right, hybrid+dyson plot does something similair to a mk III nuke in the end. I forgot about that since I've never actually seen it in action. More stuff to watch out for.
Oh, you don't really need to watch out for it, it'll just handle everything for you.  As Kahuna likes to say: Boom! Problem Solved ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »
I... need to do this.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:26 pm »
I... need to do this.

I'm doing this right now!

Every minor faction on and at 10 if possible.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Minotaar

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:21:44 pm »
Err.. should we make this an official lobby script and hold competitions or something?  :)
I'm going to hold off doing this until someone reports, though  :)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:46 pm »
Err.. should we make this an official lobby script and hold competitions or something?  :)
I'm going to hold off doing this until someone reports, though  :)
A "Who can lose at 1/1 the fastest?" ???

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »
*Nuclear Train goes off*

*unhandled errors*

I see have my nemesis
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 05:26:18 pm »
*Notes a nuclear train was made 20 minutes into a 1/1 game, and train stations were bording my two HW border planets*

I shudder for you normal train 10 users.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 06:08:37 pm »
*Nuclear Train goes off*

*unhandled errors*
Mantis with save? :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
*Nuclear Train goes off*

*unhandled errors*
Mantis with save? :)

The save was vaporized with the nuke, but I'll be sure to build fallout shelters in case it happens again.

Do you need advanced logging, or will the mushroom cloud be enough?
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:31 pm »
Just something where I can reproduce the happening of the unhandled errors, thanks :)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »
Just something where I can reproduce the happening of the unhandled errors, thanks :)

Will do, however, my experience with trains is already drawing groins..

1) Having trains that can drag away your mobile forces, but not having your forces try to engage, is kind of a catch 22. You need to engage the train to save your forces, but to engage by default means their doom. However, even your defenses which are immune not attack means they move with impunity. Sigh.
2) Nukes are like Mining golems. Completely arbitrary. Both when they form, and when they kill your worlds. I can't give you a reliable save because they exist for a while (usually under the neigh invulnerable window / armor / munition trains) then, on a complete whim of the RNG, give a path that places them through your own world. Sometimes they form 20 minutes in a game, sometimes over a hour, same for when they finally hurt. Sigh.
3) The many more train stations. Influencing their stations is a real chore when you find one on every other world. Sigh.

I'm sorry Keith, but I find trains 10/10 like fighting mining golems. Usually harmless, then out of the blue (and with little influence from the player) get you in a spot where you are almost helpless to defeat them. This scenario has very quickly become not fun because A) My influence doesn't influence the pain, but rather the RNG does. and B) I don't have any "breathing time" between when the pain starts.

---
 I'm sure some players will like it, but I, as someone who has always enjoyed Dark Spire 10, can at least say I had some breathing room before the doom started. For this, its merely a manner of pure save scum, because even on 1/1 lobbing nukes with 5 minutes reaction time before hour 1 I can't do that much about.

EDIT: Just to clarify: 1) Trains are completely at the mercy of the RNG early on, and for higher difficulties with very many stations are even more at the mercy of the RNG 2) They ramp up in difficulty much, much more rapidly. Other factions either let you start the tempo even if you can't turn back the tempo (dark spire) or ramp up more gradually, and neither hit you full force without input from the player very quickly.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:21:54 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 08:34:47 pm »
don't forget the hybrids. They just keep piling up and piling up. I'm actually enjoying this little game a lot though. The AI is a pushover, but the chaos is definitely around. And it has only just started.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:34 pm »
I... need to do this.

I'm doing this right now!

Every minor faction on and at 10 if possible.

I might leave them at 5, but I'm definitely turning on every option the game will let me.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »
After a day of simmering, I still somewhat stand by my opinions on nukes. They occur way, way too early. Even on a 1/1 game the trains themselves are present too strong a barrier to take on per hour 1. Hour 3 is better for it gives you time to make a heavy bomber starship fleet to counter it and/or have enough time to knockout train stations so they never hit you.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »
I was going to try this a while ago but decided that a few certain factions on 10 would make it unbeatable.
Games like this have nothing to do with "beatable" ;)

I predict the AI and humans will be huddling in their respective corners, cowering before the galaxy-filling Dark Spire.  While everything else goes crazy.
That is pretty much my prediction too. xD Hilarious! Looking forward to the continuation of this.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:07:28 pm by Moonshine Fox »
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk