Author Topic: Will AVWW1/2 ever be patched again?  (Read 9838 times)

Offline abdulmuhsee

• Newbie Mark III
Will AVWW1/2 ever be patched again?
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:10:20 pm »
So I know you guys are hard at work on Bionic Dunes and whatnot, but it seems like the Valley series has been left by the wayside.  I think, in Valley2 at least, there were just a couple things that were already fixed, but not yet released, like the Earth Flinger not attacking and the charge shots not getting their perk bonuses.

I've been waiting for that patch forever!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Will AVWW1/2 ever be patched again?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:26:30 am »
Thanks for the reminder - 1.008 is now out for Valley 2.

There is indeed a very limited amount of time for older titles, as is pretty natural with games.  The Valley series, Tidalis, and Shattered Haven are not considered to be in active development and likely will not be in the future.  That said, it's kind of like any new game that comes out from a AAA publisher -- they pretty much are not in active development ever again once you have them in your hands.  All of our games went through a post-release period of higher activity, but we can't really sustain that over the long term since it does not generate money in any sense, and typically if we are not generating money we are going out of business.

AI War and Skyward Collapse are still off and on in active development, and otherwise are in maintenance development.  Our other titles are in what you might consider "extended maintenance."

I know that's probably not the news you were hoping for, but I figure I might as well be straight with you about it rather than beating around the bush.  We have only two programmers, two artists, one QA person, on PR person, and one composer.  The only thing that keeps us employed is making new games, or continuing to keep the ball rolling for games with a lot of momentum at the time.  Valley 1 had some enormous momentum for a long while, but as with all games that fades eventually and it becomes part of the back catalog.

Any further questions, do let me know.  Thanks!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline abdulmuhsee

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »
Oh awesome!  Came back to check the forums and a new patch was here.

I completely understand where you're coming from, and I'm definitely not expecting any active development to go into the Valley series again.  I was really just holding out for at least one final patch to iron out the couple of issues that were already fixed.  That may even be the last of them, in any case.

I really appreciate your burst of enthusiasm towards Valley 2, where many a bug was fixed and many an extra feature was implemented/changed; your hard work on the series after-the-fact has made it an even better game!  It's definitely my favorite diversion in recent memory, and I haven't spent so many hours in front of the computer since Doom and Quake.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:43:50 am »
It's also encouraging to us to hear about someone really enjoying Valley2, or AVWW1, or Tidalis, etc.  None was really the financial success we hoped (for reasons that vary from game to game), but it's great to know that each is that "this game gave me something I couldn't get anywhere else" experience for some people out there :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:40:33 pm »
It's also encouraging to us to hear about someone really enjoying Valley2, or AVWW1, or Tidalis, etc.  None was really the financial success we hoped (for reasons that vary from game to game), but it's great to know that each is that "this game gave me something I couldn't get anywhere else" experience for some people out there :)

Hey, AVWW2 is probably my favorite Arcen game and a great game overall ;) One of these days I'll go back for another complete play-through! I think I went through the first mage levels at least a few dozen times though, heh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk