Author Topic: What will the music be like?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline getter77

• Jr. Member Mark II
What will the music be like?
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:43:38 pm »
Here's a random bit for the rambling then:  What is the musical approach this time around in terms of mood/style(s)?   I could see this going a wide spectrum from Epic to Ambient to Situational to Environmental and so forth.
The Roguelike Guy...also hopefully an overall skilled developer as time rolls on.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: What will the music be like?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »
It's actually going to be a mix of retro chiptunes with every other musical style under the sun.  As in, each track has a chiptune element that is playing througout, often in the position of the melody driver, and then there are other instruments playing along with it.  The end effect is pretty awesome and unique, not like something I've heard in any other game (well, actually the intro to Bionic Commando Rearmed did something kind of similar).

We'll be sharing the first of these coming up soon in a video!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Nalgas

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:11:41 pm »
It's actually going to be a mix of retro chiptunes with every other musical style under the sun.  As in, each track has a chiptune element that is playing througout, often in the position of the melody driver, and then there are other instruments playing along with it.

Strangely enough, with all the other talk of how the game itself is kind of like a modern approach to the style of some classic older games/genres, that's exactly what I was imagining for the music but wasn't really expecting to be right about it.  That's potentially pretty fun, though.  I used to goof around recording my piano or bass and then mix it with some MIDI/MOD stuff, and you can get some interesting sound combinations.

Offline getter77

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:47:14 pm »
Great stuff!

Sounds like it'd be prime for a feature I still hope AI War gets one day---a proper Jukebox/Sound test accessible via a button from the game's main menu screen.  8)

Hey, it IS seemingly meant to usurp some retro classics afterall!   ;)

ALSO:  If some kinda freaky synth-vocalizing and/or operatics can be worked into it in a grand fashion, with the only semi-recent example I know of being The Dark Spire on the DS,  http://www.atlus.com/darkspire/  (Track 01 in the media section's sample bit is a solid example I suppose)   that would be just about the greatest thing if the music team can tap into the magic.   The game sold SO terribly(eyeballs my copy that came with the Soundtrack CD on the shelf...), but the music is rather amazing in terms of the overall effort they seem to have put into it---up there with the grandest kind of them all for uncanny effort into even the generally most mundane of instances, Lords(Winds) of Thunder for the Sega CD, TG-16, etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:04:01 pm by getter77 »
The Roguelike Guy...also hopefully an overall skilled developer as time rolls on.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »
There aren't synth vocals, but Pablo does do vocals in a lot of his various music, and probably will at some point here, too.  There are some of his synth orchestral sounds, though, which come out AMAZING here. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline getter77

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »
Music for this first trailer here definitely seems to be on the right track, my hat is off to him!   8)

:waves Hypnosign for eventual Jukebox mode:   :P

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »
Thanks guys!

The fusion of retro mod tracks and live instruments gets even better with some of the hip-hop based tracks i'm doing as well. Look out for those, they came out great!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk