Author Topic: Valley 2 alpha v0.704 released!  (Read 10133 times)

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
Re: Valley 2 alpha v0.704 released!
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 11:51:31 pm »
Well I don't know about you guys, but I keep getting stuck.

Can't purify any more tiles, game says I need to level up my mage classes.
Can't level up class, since overlord keep requires double jump to get through for some reason (bug probably).
Can't get double jump, because I can't purify any more tiles.

Time to delete my overlord keep world folder to get a new keep, hopefully with less impossible jumps.

I had the issue of needing double jump to proceed in the overlord's fortress to get tier 3 mage spells. Never occurred to me that it might be a bug. I could email that world folder if it is a bug.

I didn't keep playing that world to try and find another skelebot research station as a new patch came out though.

The Tier 3 spell jump thing also foiled my game as well. :(

LayZboy put it on the mantis. Is this your wall: http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=10037
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:56:33 pm by MouldyK »

Offline Martyn van Buren

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 11:53:58 pm »
You go to the overlord's keep to level up spells?  I assumed it came out of the "level up here" regions...

Did I miss a help notice?  How was I supposed to find this out?

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 11:55:55 pm »
You go to the overlord's keep to level up spells?  I assumed it came out of the "level up here" regions...

When level 5 (The game says 4, but that's a lie to me as it's always 5), all windstorm machines get a shield around them and it says you must to go Overlord tower to get better spells.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 11:58:34 pm »
That is the same wall actually. Gone ahead and posted my support. Either needs a marker or a way up.

Edit: And every 4 perk levels you can go to the Overlord's keep to steal the next tier of mage spells.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:00:35 am by madcow »

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 12:08:01 am »
Posted this on mantis, but I'll post it here for anyone who is stuck trying to get past the overlord's keep:

WORKAROUNDS FOR THIS BUG, FOR THOSE WHO ARE STUCK:
*Change your profile name until you get the class that has storm fist (if you are at the appropriate level)
*Use one of the fire espers projectiles or the esper itself to 'bounce' to a higher point.
*Delete the folder for the offending level, it will regenerate and possibly allow you to pass
*Use the bug I listed here to jump very high :P

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 12:40:33 am »
Since I was on mantis already, figured why not add a few suggestions. Most of them aren't anything immediately in need of addressing.

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 02:55:10 am »
Well! I killed the Henchmen for once, and that was some interesting dialogue. I'm guessing you can't actually kill Elder, since SPOILERS he takes over for Demonica once you destroy the main oblivion crystal. I guess someone had to.

Actually I couldn't kill Lilith either. That makes sense given what you learn about her, but there IS an achievement for it, I just haven't figured it out. Fought her around 8 times, kept not being dead. What am I missing...?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:28:46 am by khadgar »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 08:15:33 am »
Well, I see 0.705 is out, definitely good.   Yay, the perks work fully now.  The combat and sidescrolling bits in general seem pretty well balanced with that functioning properly, though I notice that the henchmen seem VERY quick to die at times (which was the case before as well).  They are extremely vulnerable to certain types of spells.  Like the "wave" sort, that makes an arc of explosions appear in front of you, or the last one I fought, who went down to Insect Rocket, which also kept shattering his shots (the pattern with the blue bullets that boomerang back at you).

Also, alot of very funky glitches with chunks.   I'll attach the error log on this post here, I saw the error more than once.   Vertical areas also have gone all "jagged", is the best way to put it.   Devoid of any sloping tiles, for the most part. I saw this both in caves and in a tower.  Impassible chunks (requiring feats I dont have) are still an issue, but as this usually seems to happen in caves, it hasnt stopped my progress so far;  I can get IN just fine, but cant get back out without the poison pill.   Also I kept spawning in the sky, when entering the cave tiles.

The main glitch that I'm aware of beyond all of that is still the one with the projectiles.   For example, Insect Rocket; normally it's supposed to explode into a small burst of shrapnel.  If it's close to a wall when it does this though, it may not produce any at all.  I had one point where I was firing along a low cieling, and even though it never touched the ceiling or a wall, it refused to burst properly.  This is definitely the most common bug that I encounter in the game (happens with many spells of all sorts of types).

Other than those things.... no real problems currently.   Though, I didn't get very much time with the game today, so not much feedback to give right now.   The challenge is ramping up nicely, and the perk system does a very good job of offering a trade-off between having more health, or having more stats.   Really like how that works out.   

I also had the most bloody stupid death yet.   Went into a cave, past lots of those aggravating ice bats, fought Lilith, go into the room with the perk icon, pop a couple of annoying balloon things, storm dash towards the perk, and..... die RIGHT in front of it because I rammed a crawler.   Not one that wasnt visible either, no, just one I didn't NOTICE.   I swear the game set that up on purpose, it did!  The RNG is just out to get me!

And congrats on beta!   This game is really coming along very nicely.   Enjoyed the heck outta it so far.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:51 am »
I'm confused about the impassible slices in caves. I can see how that would be a problem if you're going up, but, normally caves go down and across. You shouldn't really need to go up. Can you send me an example of where this is an issue?

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 08:31:26 am »
*Delete the folder for the offending level, it will regenerate and possibly allow you to pass

YAY! My world will not be destroyed today! Danger averted thanks to you. 8)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 10:08:31 am »
I'm confused about the impassible slices in caves. I can see how that would be a problem if you're going up, but, normally caves go down and across. You shouldn't really need to go up. Can you send me an example of where this is an issue?

Well, caves, yeah, you go down, and then across, and then maybe down some more, and whatever.... and once you've got the perk thing, there's generally a door that says "back to the surface".   But it never takes you all the way out.... it will always place me somewhere in that first downward section, but still well below the actual surface.  So in order to get out "normally", that is, without just using the Poison Pill, I have to go up.... and that's when I run into this issue.

There doesnt really seem to be any death penalty in this so far (unless that changes in later parts of the game), so for now, it's not a big deal, but.... I wanted to point it out nonetheless. 

Quick pic of this type of slice:

That's not very far down from the very top, but it's above the door that the perk room spat me out into.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2012, 10:14:31 am »
Ahh, ok. I gotcha. Thanks.

Offline Martyn van Buren

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »

When level 5 (The game says 4, but that's a lie to me as it's always 5), all windstorm machines get a shield around them and it says you must to go Overlord tower to get better spells.

Oh!  So you need to visit like 25 windmills over the course of the game (there are five mage class levels, right?)?  I had assumed I was only going to go to five and each was going to mark a major turning point in the game, so I haven't been pressing toward the second.  I gather from correspondence with Josh that Arcen is planning to put a bit more top-level stategy guidance into the game, but I think this is something that should be highlighted, or at least addressed.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »
I actually didn't understand that either. In my game, I've got like 6 visible level up towers that I haven't been building towards because I didn't know whether I needed to or not. All leveling up seemed to give me was a perk slot I needed to fill with tokens from caves, so I headed to caves.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »
You should still get 2 perks each level up. The reason for visiting caves is to give more choices or if none of those two perks appeal to you. And I was able to pass through the overlord's fortress doors at level 4 and 8 respectively. I didn't need to wait until 5/10 I don't believe. I haven't tried leveling up to 6/11 without grabbing the next mage tier though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk