Author Topic: Valley 2 alpha v0.703 released!  (Read 40007 times)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: Valley 2 alpha v0.703 released!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 11:46:28 am »
Completely off topic, and I'm probably late to notice this, but I am glad you are keeping "danger-falls" as an official term. It cracks me up for some reason.  :P (Though not as much as Lumbermancer did)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:39 am »

That said, over the long term it makes sense to me that there might want to be some kind of penalty for death, at least on higher strategic difficulties.

During most of the game this is explained as the same reason the boss and henchmen have no consequence. Late game, the hardest point of the game, there already is a very real cost to death.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Nanashi

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:50 am »
I definitely support cave quick-exits taking you back to the bottom of the first chunk; it makes a nice balance between the interesting challenge of scaling your way back out of a cave you dove into and not having to do a ridiculous amount of backtracking.  I don't especially mind there being a poison pill option; I want to try climbing out anyway.

That said, over the long term it makes sense to me that there might want to be some kind of penalty for death, at least on higher strategic difficulties.

The main point is that climbing out isn't always possible. And with the death bug, it is literally impossible for me to get out of that cave.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »
I definitely support cave quick-exits taking you back to the bottom of the first chunk; it makes a nice balance between the interesting challenge of scaling your way back out of a cave you dove into and not having to do a ridiculous amount of backtracking.  I don't especially mind there being a poison pill option; I want to try climbing out anyway.

The main point is that climbing out isn't always possible. And with the death bug, it is literally impossible for me to get out of that cave.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do till we get that particular bug fixed... Sorry. We know about it, we hope to get it fixed soon.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »
We should probably do a better job of explaining it in-game, but, pretty much any building with a pit after it is meant to be gone through.

I think I'd prefer just having a straight wall in that case; it bugs me to have a fake branching path.  Ideally I'd prefer to have a choice of routes, or a dead end with an interesting reward, but if not I resent what feels like kind of a cheap trick --- that is, the game suggests that I can ignore the building and keep moving forward, but I know that if I do so I will be wasting time or jumping into a death pit.

Sometimes it is a wall. Sometimes there IS a reward down there (though, not often enough yet). With the next patch it will be clear which pits lead to death, and which don't.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 01:34:20 pm »
I just tested it on the targeting  tree and got 1600 with all hits connecting. That's with a +100% ammo attack strength perk on. I guess I could see it hitting 8000 if you had a critical hit and all +ammo shots.

And yeah, I -never- saw any drop with those spells. At first I thought it might have been something related to using special spells. But then saw other special spells resulting in drops.

Keep in mind both comments are based on 0.702, I haven't updated just yet.

When I've tried it on the tree..... or against bosses..... right around 8000 damage total is what I'm getting, if I start at 30 ammo, and just hold the button down and launch it all at once (I didn't mean just with a single quick burst).   End up with about 8000 damage in the space of one second.   Granted, this takes ALL of the ammo, but..... that's still way, way too strong even for that cost.

It does this every time I try it, too, no criticals or special perks needed.

Quick screenshot of this:

All ammo-related perks as well as Risktaker turned off, there.

Can you send me a world file with that boss fight please? I'd love to see that.

Yup, I'll attach the world file to this message.   It also has the screwed up research area (which is the northern one), if that helps. 

EDIT:  Forgot to mention:  Actually had that boss spawn IN the lava a couple of times as well.

Where exactly in the world is the fight you are referring to?

Offline LayZboy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
Was playing mutliplayer and as soon as it started it said there was an error. Dunno where it is but it says to post a log which I can't remember how to do.

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 02:16:17 pm »
Looking forward to .704! I assume it will be out this evening, I will give it a go, maybe Gemzo will join me and we shall wreak some havoc.

Also, until I read the version changelog, I totally didn't realize that
Spoiler for Hiden:
you could permanently kill the henchmen. It just didn't occur to me to try finding a henchman after I blew up the main oblivion crystal.
Definately going to try text time I get that far.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 02:25:12 pm »
Also LayZboy was invisible when he wern't shooting. That didn't seem right.

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 02:35:57 pm »
I am a bit concerned about one line in the changelog.
  • The bosses can now walk on water and lava, which should solve most wonkiness with their boss rooms that include features of that sort.
This makes me wonder if the bosses can still go into the water or lava if they need to. Otherwise going into the water could make the battle too easy.

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 03:09:12 pm »
Looking forward to .704! I assume it will be out this evening, I will give it a go, maybe Gemzo will join me and we shall wreak some havoc.
I was going to call you out to play with as well, but I decided to be anti social and just keep my post to the bare minimum. Anyone else looking for a long-term multiplayer game should totally look into joining us, though. Once .704 is out, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:56:45 pm by Gemzo »

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »
I am currently hosting a 0.703 game if anyone decides they want to play multiplayer.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 03:38:11 pm »
Entropy Explosion causes an error.

Oh, and why don't the ammo abilities display how much they use?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:44:32 pm by MouldyK »

Offline LayZboy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 05:15:51 pm »
Entropy Explosion causes an error.

Oh, and why don't the ammo abilities display how much they use?

So does Explosive Cresent.
Also some ennmys are still firing projectiles long after they are dead in MP.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »
Also some ennmys are still firing projectiles long after they are dead in MP.

It's the alpha version of the hungry ghosts Chris showed the concept art of earlier.

Edit to add something constructive: Bring the music back in when the game pauses for conversations? So jarring... the screen freezing and the giant game paused is enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk