Author Topic: Things we never believed possible  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
Things we never believed possible
« on: December 07, 2011, 05:41:38 pm »
I just saw the post about the devs finishing brainstorming so I just want to get this in while I still can. (It's not really a solid idea though, more like a hope for the eventual "feeling" of the game) I kept meaning to post this but kept putting it off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6310

I just completed a game called "The Longest Journey", and AVWW reminds me a lot of this game in many ways. Even though the genres are totally different there's still a character heading out into this completely foreign land not knowing what to expect. So bewildered and shaken at what has happened that their jaws drop when they see something they can't even begin to believe. Eventually after some time you begin to accept what has happened but the wonder and awe never really goes away. Some things just still beggars belief.

Strange creatures at every turn, some friendly and some not so friendly. Of course there are friendly humans in Arcadia but their way of life and understanding is so different to April's they might as well have come from a different time period either. Then you have other creatures too that at first you might believe to be nothing but wild savages or simpletons but then there turns out to be more to them than meets the eye. (They might be civil and have their own settlements, it might not fit in with what you're expectation of how a civilization works or what it looks like but it is still just as valid as your own)

That special moment when a strange foreign creature approaches your civilization and attempts to make peace with your kind. I think befriending non-humans in a way feels more special....like you're breaking boundaries.

I hope Arcen take full advantage of the setting they have with AVWW. Time & Space has been ripped apart and put back together right? This could allow "oddities" to slip through the cracks of reality.  (possibly from entirely different worlds) It's also a great opportunity to surprise the player with something unexpected, like giving them a left hook out of nowhere and see how they approach the issue. (by "left hook" I don't mean something that's downright unfair, just a little out of the blue....it can still be fun to expect the unexpected to a certain degree at least)

I hope many people here have played TLJ or this will be completely lost on them.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:47:20 pm by Dizzard »

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Things we never believed possible
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:27:16 pm »
I never finished it. I got stuck on a puzzle fairly early on, and lost interest. I should go back and try it again soon.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Things we never believed possible
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:13:20 am »
I can't remember if I finished it or not, but I did finish Dreamfall.  I really hope they get around to finishing the story, even if it's in a novel format.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk