Author Topic: Dungeon Map Key?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Mercanis

Dungeon Map Key?
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »
Hello everyone. First time poster.

I'm enjoying how AVWW facilitates exploration with detailed maps that auto-mark where the player has previously explored. However, I would appreciate a more detailed explanation of the dungeon map in the lower right of the screen. Specifically, what do the black and yellow lines that cross through some rooms mean?

Thanks for the help!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Dungeon Map Key?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »
Black line means it's an unexplored room. White line means it has an additional passage, like a vent, in it to another room.

You can see what the rooms mean by hovering over them with your mouse.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Offline Mercanis

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:33 pm »
Thanks for the super fast response. I figured out the black lines after pondering it over a bit more. But the white lines I never would have figured out. Thanks!

Here's another map question: what do the asterisks next to numbers on the strategy map indicate?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:54:26 pm by Mercanis »

Offline Gudamor

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:06 pm »
There is a windstorm/snowstorm/sandstorm in that location, reducing invisibility and increasing enemy strength. Wind shelters push these back.

Offline Mercanis

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:41:12 pm »
Ah, so that's how windstorms factor in. I remember a dev blog entry saying how windstorms would suck you into a tile if you didn't visit a shelter. Does that no longer happen?

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:36:34 pm »
Ah, so that's how windstorms factor in. I remember a dev blog entry saying how windstorms would suck you into a tile if you didn't visit a shelter. Does that no longer happen?

Yeah that was changed because in actually gameplay it wasn't fun.

Offline Mercanis

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:22:22 am »
I feel something should be done to limit traversal over the strategy map, however. The way it works now, at level 1 I can run across the map and reveal the entire thing without any cost or threat to my character's safety. It just doesn't feel right.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
You can't reveal it all, you can only reveal a certain number of areas based on your level. As you level up, you will see more and more of it open up.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:44:13 am »
I feel something should be done to limit traversal over the strategy map, however. The way it works now, at level 1 I can run across the map and reveal the entire thing without any cost or threat to my character's safety. It just doesn't feel right.

I'm inclined to agree with that as well actually. While just randomly being sucked into a tile by a windstorm may not have been that fun, it would be more interesting gameplay wise if you had to do something to push back the wilderness and allow further exploration outside of just leveling up. At level 1, I feel like I shouldn't be able to walk over level 10 tiles with impunity.

The ocean tiles are interesting in the way that they immediately drop you into a dark deep acid ocean. I walked on to one of those once to see what it did, and now I avoid them because they scare the hell out of me. That may be on the extreme side, but I do feel like there should be some risk to running around on tiles higher level than you. Some sort of rpg style random encounter system maybe? If you walk along tiles that are higher level than you, then there's a 5% per level variation chance that you might get sucked in. Maybe just in to the middle of the entry area or something, so it's not so hard to get out. And perhaps tiles still affected by wind storms could double this chance, or pull you in further.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 01:15:13 pm »
I see your point, you might be right, have you put that into Mantis?

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 01:44:35 pm »
Not as of yet. I sort of like to have ideas fully fleshed out before popping them up there, otherwise mantis turns into the forums and we've already got forums for that. I might make a new thread to try and spark more discussion on it though. In fact I think I'll go do that now.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 04:45:23 pm »
The ocean tiles are interesting in the way that they immediately drop you into a dark deep acid ocean. I walked on to one of those once to see what it did, and now I avoid them because they scare the hell out of me.

You got the choice at least. I have a settlement that has ocean tiles on two sides and rampaging monsters just LOVE to come from those directions, forcing me to fight their forces underwater.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk