Author Topic: Some AVWW2 impressions from a AVWW1 player and a long time Arcen games follower  (Read 2966 times)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Just some random bullet points that I thought while playing the game.

• Wow, a song with vocals, that's a first (title theme song)
  • Hey wait, isn't that an AI War song?
  • Huh, I'm a bad guy?!
  • Oh I see, it was an undercover operation to get the "evil version" of the glyph thingy (as there aren't any Ilari around these parts to give that sort of fanciness to people). That's pretty cool
  • Dang, my top running speed sure is slow compared to last game. Let's hope that storm dash later on helps out with this.
  • More AI war music?
  • Wow, the text is even more meta and fourth wall breaking than the last game, which was already pretty darn meta. Good to see that the trademark snarky epitaphs still survived the transition. (also, lol at the reference to the "newbie trap slime" of the last game's tutorial)
  • Oh hey, a AVWW1 song this time. Cool!
  • Oh hey, is that a remix of an AVWW1 song? Cool!
  • I'm feeling like Mega Man here with my charge shots here. :D
  • Hmm, so it seems that the "branching factor" and "sidepath depth" has been significantly reduced from the last game. There are still some side paths to explore, but much, much less.  (not good or bad, just is)
  • Dang it, my keyboard does not like K (secondary fire), W (up) and D (right) pressed at the same time. Remaps from JKL; to UIOP, which seems to fix this.
  • Enemies do feel much more significant now that I can't just get everything into one character
  • Still a bit confused about how hearts, equipment damage, and the raw "HP" values relate to each other

So yea, I'm intrigued. Most of my impressions were neutral, but I do think this is a pretty cool game. The combat system and procedural "tacked together" room generation seem similar enough to AVWW1 such that it doesn't feel like a entirely new series, but it does feel big enough to be considered a new game.

I'll keep playing and try to give more feedback later.

Thanks for another cool game. :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Glad you're enjoying it :) 

On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being AI War, how much of a bastard is the overlord on the world map?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Winge

Glad you're enjoying it :) 

On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being AI War, how much of a bastard is the overlord on the world map?

He's somewhere around 7, though that's mostly from being immortal.  He was actually worse when his move speed increased with purification (even caught me off-guard and killed some resistance with the speed boost one time).  Keep in mind, I haven't tried a difficulty above Rook yet.  I'll probably move on to Queen soon.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
He's somewhere around 7, though that's mostly from being immortal.
Still, 7 is not bad; a report card worth putting on the overlord-lair's refrigerator.

And yea, when he could speed-up that was brutal.  A bit too brutal ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Zozma

• Newbie Mark III
The overlord does his job nicely, I think. Given how towns are laid out, he can completely cripple your infrastructure within two turns. How well you adapt to him depends on how spaced our your soldiers are.

He doesn't attack temperature-control towers, does he? Because that'd be a bit too much.

Offline Winge

The overlord does his job nicely, I think. Given how towns are laid out, he can completely cripple your infrastructure within two turns. How well you adapt to him depends on how spaced our your soldiers are.

He doesn't attack temperature-control towers, does he? Because that'd be a bit too much.

If you mean the Cold/Heat Dispersal towers, no.  He can't attack them because you can't rebuild structures anymore--you would lose safe access to Tundra/Lava tiles.

If you mean the Stratospheric Citadels, he protects them with spells--spells which are separate from his spellcasting every 4 turns.  In my current game, I am literally wasting turns--he doublecast Firestorm on one of the Citadels, which means I have to wait approximately 8 turns to do anything to it.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
If you mean the Stratospheric Citadels, he protects them with spells--spells which are separate from his spellcasting every 4 turns.  In my current game, I am literally wasting turns--he doublecast Firestorm on one of the Citadels, which means I have to wait approximately 8 turns to do anything to it.
As of a recent version he doesn't pick Firestorm if he's doing an "automatic citadel-protection" cast.  He still can during his normal casts, but he doesn't specifically target citadels with those.

Also, those area debuffs cannot "stack": he could theoretically cast 2 firestorms near each other, but it a cast can only affect tiles that do not have any area debuffs currently on them at the time, and it only sets the "turns left on debuff" counter on each newly-affected tile to the length of the spell; it does not add the length of the spell to that counter.  Have you seen clear evidence of it "stacking" the durations somehow?

Anyway, glad to hear he's being a suitable pain in the rear, that's myhis job :)

Offline Winge

As of a recent version he doesn't pick Firestorm if he's doing an "automatic citadel-protection" cast.  He still can during his normal casts, but he doesn't specifically target citadels with those.

Also, those area debuffs cannot "stack": he could theoretically cast 2 firestorms near each other, but it a cast can only affect tiles that do not have any area debuffs currently on them at the time, and it only sets the "turns left on debuff" counter on each newly-affected tile to the length of the spell; it does not add the length of the spell to that counter.  Have you seen clear evidence of it "stacking" the durations somehow?

Anyway, glad to hear he's being a suitable pain in the rear, that's myhis job :)

Thank you for fixing the Automatic Citadel Firestorms of Eternity! :)

By doublecast, I meant that he chose Firestorm for the first two protection spells after I purified the Citadel--I'm having trouble thinking of a good way to word that...  I haven't seen any overland spell conflicts, but I typically don't see more than one at a time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk