Author Topic: So, apparently me and friends suck at AVWW2.  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Matthew Carras

• Newbie Mark II
So, apparently me and friends suck at AVWW2.
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »
We kept dying over and over again at the very first Level-Up Tower in multiplayer, until Morale got so low we needed to remake the world. Right now there's just 2 of us, may be up to 4. We didn't have any problems with the default difficulty of the original AVWW, actually increasing it as it was way too easy. And it's not like in AVWW2 we can easily powerup some other way than beating Level-Up Towers (it penalizes us for additional purification).

So on the subject of difficulty, can we please get difficulty options for AVWW2, available at the start of the game? Maybe we can raise them when we understand the game better, but right now, it's just far too frustrating to play on multiplayer at the default difficulty.

I think AVWW2 looks great in single-player, but in multiplayer, the rather linear setup hurts it. In the original AVWW, everyone had a grand time exploring on their own and completing tasks in small groups. In AVWW2, we have to do all content together, because stuff like purification takes up a global 'turn'.

Note: Each enemy projectile was taking off roughly 0.4-0.8 hearts with one other person. Some projectiles were indestructible and nearly unavoidable, like the homing ones from robots.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:06:11 pm by Matthew Carras »

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: So, apparently me and friends suck at AVWW2.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:10:24 pm »
There is difficulty selection both at world gen (right above the little intro blurb), and ingame in a menu.

Offline Matthew Carras

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
OK, I see the difficulty setting in world gen, but there is no difficulty setting in multiplayer in-game menus.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:09:25 am »
It should appear in the "manage your character" menu...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:33:53 pm »
Depending on how your server settings are set up, you may need to claim admin privileges before it will allow you to change the difficulty.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:21:27 pm »
Also: if you're dying repeatedly, most likely it means you're playing like you would valley 1 -- namely charging into new situations guns blazing. In Valley 2, that's a good way to die no matter your skill level. Essentially the sequel is more like a classic Contra game. You can't absorb much damage at all, so you have to take cover, watch the patterns of the enemy, then pop out and attack the enemy, and possibly retreat a bit once the enemy starts firing back at you. Also it's a bit like a Tyrian game or similar bullet hell shooters where there are lots of shots moving at once in specific patterns, and you have to watch the patterns and dodge all of them at once.

Both types of play co-mingle, and depending on your playstyle you might emphasize one more than the other.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »
It's kind of like a tactical cover-based SNES game with a mix of Fire Emblem, Actraiser, and all that. Once you get over the fact that it's basically a completely different game, it gets a loooooot easier.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:22:17 pm »
A mixture of fire emblem and actraiser?  Where?  *reaches for wallet*
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:48:19 pm »
Oh my god, that would actually be fantastic.
Well, I meant more of along the lines of the survivor permadeath, mandatory intense tactical planning both in the field and on the map, that sort of thing. That's the 'fire emblem' element I was referring to.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk