Author Topic: Q & A  (Read 163277 times)

Offline Admiral

Re: Q & A
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 04:10:55 pm »
why not make the monster spawning skull totems permamently destroyable?

See the commentary here for your answer:

http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=4008

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »
Why do they need to respawn though? Its pretty agravating to clear a pack of those dwarf skelebots out of an atrium only for them to be waiting when you get back, for each door you go through... why not make the monster spawning skull totems permamently destroyable?

I think that would make the game really boring. As it stands, if you're overpowered, there's at least the bubble-wrap satisfaction of attacking enemies and killing them with one hit. But if there are almost no enemies, then it's just you... running. That's it. I think that would get extremely tedious, which is part of why the monsters spawners aren't kill-able.

The other part of the reason why monster spawners can't be killed has to do with the effect they have on boss rooms, and how one that is higher in a cavern causes monsters to keep "arriving" from above in lower sections.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »
At least slow down the respawn rates. As it is I kill a dwarf, take three steps and the little bastard is back.

BTW, I find the dwarfs extremely unfun to deal with, their speed and huge attack radius makes them very hard to avoid and even the cooking-off trick makes them take some time to get past.

Offline syndicatedragon

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »
At least slow down the respawn rates. As it is I kill a dwarf, take three steps and the little bastard is back.

BTW, I find the dwarfs extremely unfun to deal with, their speed and huge attack radius makes them very hard to avoid and even the cooking-off trick makes them take some time to get past.
So far my annoyance with the monsters is 100% dwarf guys.

Offline c4sc4

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 04:45:18 pm »
I'm not sure if this is commonly known but, the speed of monsters is relative to your civ level. If you venture into areas below you civ level, monsters are slower, if you venture into areas above your civ level, monsters are faster.

Offline Nice Save

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 04:48:48 pm »

So far my annoyance with the monsters is 100% dwarf guys.

I find just charging straight at them works well enough to not bother trying to evade. Also, if you play as a bat, you can get inside their radius before they can hit you and be away before they get a second chance.

Offline arcee

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 04:52:45 pm »
Q: Is there any way to find out what recipies I've unlocked and what I need to find for them?

Q: Can I use the mouse wheel to change what spell is on the buttons?  I found an entry that seemed relevant (switch first mouse ability slot), but couldn't set it.  Neither to a button nor to the wheel.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »
Why do they need to respawn though? Its pretty agravating to clear a pack of those dwarf skelebots out of an atrium only for them to be waiting when you get back, for each door you go through... why not make the monster spawning skull totems permamently destroyable?

To quote Chris from a Mantis ticket regarding this question: "... But if there are almost no enemies, then it's just you... running. That's it. I think that would get extremely tedious, which is part of why the monsters spawners aren't kill-able.

The other part of the reason why monster spawners can't be killed has to do with the effect they have on boss rooms, and how one that is higher in a cavern causes monsters to keep "arriving" from above in lower sections."

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 05:04:32 pm »
Q: Is there any way to find out what recipies I've unlocked and what I need to find for them?

There's not a flat list at the moment, no -- but you can see this general information in the crafting interface itself.

Q: Can I use the mouse wheel to change what spell is on the buttons?  I found an entry that seemed relevant (switch first mouse ability slot), but couldn't set it.  Neither to a button nor to the wheel.

I think that has to be bound to a keyboard key at the moment, unfortunately.  It gets to be a pretty confusing option to use, unlike in an FPS where you see your huge gun at the bottom of the screen.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »
ideally the spells bound to the left and right mouse buttons would be displayed arger on the GUI

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 05:43:23 pm »
What are the red crosses signifying on the map? Is it just resource areas?

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »
What are the red crosses signifying on the map? Is it just resource areas?

Those are resource areas that your settlement's don't yet have access too. In order to get access, you need to go kill the guardians in the region.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 05:46:51 pm »
So i have a rather stupid questions..

What do i do with gem mine areas. I found 3 of em in a huge underground cave network.. but what are they for?

Is there some list that lists what you get at what civ level? Is there *much* more beyond civ 6 ?

Sometimes when entering a bombed out area i spawn in a room with no door, that normal?

Where do you find Spell Books, only from boss towers?

What can you find in normal buildings besides just the glow currency and health potions?

How do i actually gain access to resources, after defeating the guardian (at what civ level for one ,p)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 05:52:16 pm »
X4000 said -
Yep, I'd kill every monster I saw if they gave rewards that were too long-term.  As it stands, I'm thinking I'll add some very light auto-pickup health/mana restoration drops from these light enemies, but that's about the extent I think it should be taken to: http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=4008-

:)  Nice idea.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »

Those are resource areas that your settlement's don't yet have access too. In order to get access, you need to go kill the guardians in the region.

How do you know which creatures are the guardians? Or do you just kill everything in the area?

Sorry for all the questions most things are making sense but I can't seem to be able to liberate the resources local to my settlement.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk