Author Topic: Perhaps more random small traps, obstacles, and hazards.  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
Perhaps more random small traps, obstacles, and hazards.
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:14:41 am »
I think maybe having more common non-mobile traps and hazards would improve the feel of the game somewhat.

Things like randomly placed bear traps, flame jets on a timer, exploding plants, or maybe even sticky goo on the floor.

Psychologically it seems like "traps" feel more like part of the environment and so make the environment feel more diverse just by being there. They wouldn't have to be particularly life-threatening, but having them there might improve the "feel" of the game. They also may bridge the gap between "enemies" and the "terrain" so they don't feel as separate as they do now.

I notice that lot of platformers have almost as many minor "traps" as they do mobile "enemies", sometimes more. It's enough that their rarity in AVWW feels a bit odd at times.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:21:07 am by Professor Paul1290 »

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
Re: Perhaps more random small traps, obstacles, and hazards.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:21:10 am »
I was thinking just yesterday it would be interesting if they had quicksand in the game. Maybe in deserts?

Offline Terraziel

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:46:01 am »
I was thinking just yesterday it would be interesting if they had quicksand in the game. Maybe in deserts?

Ditto. Though I was trying to find a way to make deserts seem more like deserts than they do now (Them being covered in grass bothers me)

On the topic at hand though, i was going to suggest man-eating plants, not as basic enemies, but as background objects that defend themselves when attacked.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:31 am »

Ditto. Though I was trying to find a way to make deserts seem more like deserts than they do now (Them being covered in grass bothers me)

On the topic at hand though, i was going to suggest man-eating plants, not as basic enemies, but as background objects that defend themselves when attacked.

Well, they aren't "man eating", but there are plants that attack players as they walk by...

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:28:09 am »
perhaps different traps for different environments? Take pyramids for example. A falling boulder, spike floors, etc? Ice age could have an occasional avalanche, though that's more of an environmental thing than a trap.
But lots of possibilities there.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:38 am »
You won't hear any arguments from me against this.  My suggestion is to throw each idea into mantis as its own topic, and we'll get to them as we can.  This is definitely something we've had on our list to explore more of, but it just kept getting pushed back, and back, and back...

My intent is for even some of the existing underground mushrooms and such to let off stinking clouds that cause various ill effects when you destroy them.  Feel free to make suggestions in that vein for existing destructible objects, too.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk