Author Topic: New trailer rough cut.  (Read 4319 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
New trailer rough cut.
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:25 am »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: New trailer rough cut.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:59:53 am »
I really don't have a lot to nitpick about that... That's a nice trailer. I want to play that game. :)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:24 pm »
I want to play that game. :)

I am playing that game  ;)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:40:12 pm »
Heh, I've always been curious if once you finally make it through and finish a game, if the creators ever decide to play it just for fun to actually enjoy it ;)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:46:12 pm »
For me: with AI War, yeah.  I've logged hundreds of hours on that one outside of testing-time.  With Tidalis, I've played it some off and on for fun, but mostly I got most of my playtime during testing and that was enough for me (still 100+ hours).  With Shattered Haven, that also I've played just for the fun of it with my wife over the years since 2008 many times.  With Valley 1, I mostly did testing time -- I logged hundreds of hours, but had no desire to do more than that.

With Valley 2, it's more like AI War and Shattered Haven, and it actually pulls me along and I've played it "just for fun" a number of times.  My son loves watching me play it (he's two and a half), so I'll play with him a lot of evenings now because he demands it, heh.

I think the big thing lacking in Tidalis and Valley 1 in terms of why I didn't play those more outside of testing was that both were heavily mechanics-oriented without any real progression to them that was specific to a session.  In other words, if you've played the adventure of Tidalis once, in bits in pieces or all the way through, there's not a reason to really do it again.  Same with most puzzle games.  With Valley 1, if you've played all the biomes and with all the spells and against all the enemies, and you've explored everything in bits and pieces, there's not a strong pull to do that again. 

With AI War and Valley 2, the strategic bits make each game a lot more fresh for me, and have an overall meta-narrative that the player drives.  Shattered Haven doesn't have that meta-narrative per se -- at least not in the sense of a strategy game -- but it does have a strong set of pick-up-and-play mechanics that are really enticing to me, as is the case with Valley 2.  So Valley 2 kind of has me both ways, heh.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:38 pm »
Nice trailer! I like it a lot.

If I had to nitpick for something ... sub-optimal...I would say that the amount of time a single text overlay is shown is really on the short side of things bordering on too short - at least for those scenes that have a lot of action going on in the background. I had to watch the trailer multiple times to get them all...

Making them longer at least for the more extensive text segments would likely break the flow of the trailer, though.
So... nevermind.

Great work!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline AragonLA

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:08:06 pm »
Kevin the trailer guy here,

Forgot to mention to Chris that the text in this cut still needs visual refining. It's WAY too small right now, and it will be animated and positioned better to improve clarity. I definitely agree that some of the bits are too short; some of that will be fixed with the final polish, some of it is just a side effect of the trailer cutting around so fast (and I can't complain if people want to watch it again to see what they missed).

My main question to your forumites is about the textual copy itself, and how it reads. In the past we have stayed away from numbers in trailers, but this time I felt it was one our our strengths. All of the copy is very much editable, so I would love to hear your guys' suggestions on how to improve the message.

I still would like to add a bit more Multiplayer Footage into the trailer. Hell, I'd love to get a shot with 5+ players, but we are running into technical issues that may preclude it from the trailer.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »
Really Cool!!!

:)

-T

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
Seems better. Explicitly telling the player about multiplayer helps get the message across, although another clip of footage would be nice. Oh, there doesn't seem to be any windstorm footage in this version, though, which was a nice bit of bling bling. Maybe swap out one of the grass biome bits as there seem to be a few of these.

"Use the power to lead an uprising"

Maybe "use THIS power..." would fit better here.

Apart from that looks pretty nice.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 05:55:38 pm »
Oh, friend had this comment.

well here's one: @ 0:34 - it should probably read "Choose from 12 player characters, each with their own unique set of stats." or something.

rather than "Choose from 12 player characters with a unique set of stats."

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »
Oh, friend had this comment.

well here's one: @ 0:34 - it should probably read "Choose from 12 player characters, each with their own unique set of stats." or something.

rather than "Choose from 12 player characters with a unique set of stats."

I agree that sounds better, but, the stats are random, and the 12 player characters are just a graphical choice. I wouldn't want it no mislead.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 06:29:01 pm »
I agree that sounds better, but, the stats are random, and the 12 player characters are just a graphical choice. I wouldn't want it no mislead.

Good point! The original sentence is a little hard to read. Not sure what it's really trying to say. Maybe something like "Choose from 12 player characters, each fully customisable to have their own unique set of stats". Edit: I don't actually like what I've written here lol I was thinking more in terms of the perks system whereas the original line is referring more to the starting stats, I guess.

Something like that anyway.

Oh isn't "procedurely" meant to be spelled procedurally? Not a word I'm amazingly familiar with, though.

Also, "infiltratred" is spelled wrong. One r too many.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:48:20 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »
Well, I just realized I wrote:

I wouldn't want it no mislead.

Maybe I shouldn't be proofreading anything....  :-[

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 06:51:31 pm »
Maybe I shouldn't be proofreading anything....  :-[

That goes for me too, I guess. Completely missed that mistake. Read like TO mislead in my brain.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:06:29 am »
Good job on the trailer. Seriously, I was already excited about this game, being a fan of the first one, but now I can barely wait to get my hands on the release version. I did miss a few text lines due to being distracted by the action in a couple of segments and had to rewind to see it all. With the mentioned visual changes though, the text will surely get the viewer's attention.

I agree that having a little more of multiplayer footage would be good. After the "Or invite a few friends" part, if there was a segment of a few seconds with 3 heroes in the middle of a fight, I feel it would convey the whole idea of "Fighting together, side by side."

Also, at 2:10... No one told me Phoenix Wright was in this game! :P

Anyway, really a great trailer. Well done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk