Author Topic: Learning The Game, FAQ, and Wiki  (Read 52655 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Learning The Game, FAQ, and Wiki
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 03:39:41 pm »
So where is the elusive granite? :S

Pretty much anywhere underground, actually.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 03:55:26 pm »

Pretty much anywhere underground, actually.

I was a little confused for a while because I couldn't find underground nodes....I think I might have been confusing the light green nodes as nodes that have portals in them. (instead of nodes with underground)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:42 pm »
You can always hover over any node to get a description of what is in it -- there's always a tooltip! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 04:21:49 pm »
One last question, how do I recruit new npcs?

I tried setting up a "Residential and Storage tower" with my 10 granite but it said I needed an npc with 1 in lumbermancy. Which I didn't...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 04:28:12 pm »
To get new NPCs, you have to do secret missions or else use a guardian power.  This early in the game, you'll have to do secret missions.  So that mostly means exploring caves, but you can also find them inside buildings.  Specifically you're looking for a Rescue Survivor mission.

If this is your first continent, you should guaranteed have a lumbermancer.  If not, then that would be why.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »

Check caves. Surface tunnels, underground caverns, they all have granite. :) BTW, this info is already in game in the "Materials Compendium" section under "Commodities".

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 06:01:07 pm »
Under Commodities? Commodities are produced products, granite isn't produced.
When i look under Commodities i expect to see crafting related info, not mining related info. (even if mining is related to crafting.. which uh, brings us right back. Why isn't it called "Mining and Crafting Guide" - that would be a lot more logical (as long as mining and crafting related infos are in that.

Speaking of NPC's.. how do I know what my npcs can do and what not. So how i do know i have a "lumbermancer" ?

I think i need to elaborate, Materials Compendium is a very confusing name. I never would click on that to get info about mining or crafting. Materials is also very broad, is it about wood, or enchantments?

Is there some topic to think and talk and debate about a more.. uh, helpful help page thing?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:06:26 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »
Under Commodities? Commodities are produced products, granite isn't produced.
When i look under Commodities i expect to see crafting related info, not mining related info. (even if mining is related to crafting.. which uh, brings us right back. Why isn't it called "Mining and Crafting Guide" - that would be a lot more logical (as long as mining and crafting related infos are in that.

Speaking of NPC's.. how do I know what my npcs can do and what not. So how i do know i have a "lumbermancer" ?

I think i need to elaborate, Materials Compendium is a very confusing name. I never would click on that to get info about mining or crafting. Materials is also very broad, is it about wood, or enchantments?

Is there some topic to think and talk and debate about a more.. uh, helpful help page thing?
Perhaps there is need for some updated language, but, to answer some of your questions: The Materials Compendium is about ALL materials. Commodities in this case refer to the materials needed to use Guardian Powers.

As for the professions, all settlements should have one Lumbermancer, but to verify, you can go to the planning menu, go to "Continent Status", then "Settlement Residents". There you will see a list of who is in your settlement and what their profession is. It appears that this is only working while in the settlement right now, we should change that perhaps.

Also, I think one of the big things we should stress to players is that there is a TON of good info in the planning menus.

As far as further debate, perhaps Chris will open up another brainstorming thread on this once he gets a few more of the parts in place that he has planned. There is a good bit more coming, he and I have spent a lot of time discussing it.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »
To some extent you have to meet the game halfway on its terminology.  If you don't want to call "fighters" fighters in AI War, and insist that every small ship is actually a fighter, then none of the documentation will make sense.

In AVWW, all materials are broken up into "commodities and "rare commodities."  I suppose we could change that to be "regular materials" and "rare materials."  But in terms of what is mined or what comes from trees or whatever else, none of that is distinct enough to matter.  Regular commodities are those things which you find easily in the environment, whereas rare ones are the ones that come from missions only.

In terms of NPCs, all that information is available under your Continent Status screen, which shows you Settlement NPCs and stuff about your buildings and such.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 06:35:27 pm »
Ah thank you ;) That clears it up a lot. Well right now I find the terminology pretty confusing, maybe because of my background.. mhhh thing is, with commodities I think about modern economics and cargo ships and container terminals, and super markets... and Globalization ^^

Mhh, ah well , planning screen it is!
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 06:42:19 pm »
Yeah, I think that those terms do need to go at this point, actually.

EDIT: Maybe.  I'm not sure how many people are going to have this problem.  Perhaps a poll is in order...

Offline HellishFiend

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »
Actually eRe4s3r is somewhat incorrect.... the word commodity can stand for a product OR a raw material, as long as it is something that is valuable.
Time to roll out another ball of death.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 08:52:24 pm »
Actually, value is a misnomer, value is an abstract concept that only exists when you try to sell or trade something. So commodity is only something of value, and something can only have (the here meant) value in a trade/exchange system.

Or put simply, nothing in your house (not even your house!) has economic value nor is it a commodity, until you try to sell or trade it. Its one of the greatest misconceptions of our time. Its something older generation often uses as well "I buy all this stuff because it has worth" but things do not have a economic value unless you are *able* to trade them. That is, without demand, no value.

;P

Offline HellishFiend

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 08:58:26 pm »
There are many more types of value than plain economic value.  :)
Time to roll out another ball of death.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 09:34:18 pm »
Not when you call it a commodity ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk