Author Topic: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.  (Read 94356 times)

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
Re: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.
« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »
I would like to remind anyone who might be in the alpha that the #aiwar irc channel, (on appliedirc) is available to discuss how much fun youre having. Also available to maybe host multiplayer games if that works. Also, I would love to see Chris and Keith and Josh there to celebrate the beginning of a golden age in Arcen's history.

Also, chrome told me the file is 'not commonly downloaded and might be dangerous'
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
Ok. Just so everyone knows. I've now sent out all the invites for the first round. If you didn't get one... Sorry, we just didn't have enough room for everyone. :(

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:41 pm »
But -- another round will go out late tomorrow night.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2012, 12:31:48 am »
I would like to remind anyone who might be in the alpha that the #aiwar irc channel, (on appliedirc) is available to discuss how much fun youre having. Also available to maybe host multiplayer games if that works. Also, I would love to see Chris and Keith and Josh there to celebrate the beginning of a golden age in Arcen's history.

Also, chrome told me the file is 'not commonly downloaded and might be dangerous'

Chrome told me that as well and then I accidentally clicked "discard", I have to download it again.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2012, 05:25:00 am »
We are just now sending out the alpha invites to the first group -- if you're not in the first group (I don't know who's in which group, honestly), please don't be offended.  We're trying to capture people's first impressions as the alpha matures, and we can't do that if we put everyone in on day one, as I noted above.

Chris, I wouldn't worry about that TOO much.  Some of us are waiting to be the first in the Beta.  At least one of us.

Most of us get it and most of us want to try to support you fellers as much as possible.  i know there's always that one dude, but, really, it's cool... At least I like to think I know most of the regulars to believe that...
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2012, 06:59:24 am »
We are just now sending out the alpha invites to the first group -- if you're not in the first group (I don't know who's in which group, honestly), please don't be offended.  We're trying to capture people's first impressions as the alpha matures, and we can't do that if we put everyone in on day one, as I noted above.

Chris, I wouldn't worry about that TOO much.  Some of us are waiting to be the first in the Beta.  At least one of us.

Most of us get it and most of us want to try to support you fellers as much as possible.  i know there's always that one dude, but, really, it's cool... At least I like to think I know most of the regulars to believe that...

Sorry, I refuse to buy any more of Arcen Games' Portfolio of games now that they have refused my entry into the first Private Alpha.

Good day to you, gentlemen! -gets his bowler hat on and slams the door in the most vulgar way possible-

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2012, 08:08:38 am »
You mentioned somewhere that keyboard+mouse is gone. How are the controls now with that change, and does it play and map naturally to an XBOX360 controller?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2012, 08:12:14 am »
You mentioned somewhere that keyboard+mouse is gone. How are the controls now with that change, and does it play and map naturally to an XBOX360 controller?

As with the first game, the keys are completely rebindable and you can map it naturally to any gamepad. There are apparently several different inherent variants of 360 controller mappings, so no guarantee the defaults will be right for you. Still -- it's simple enough to remedy.

It plays a loooooot better without the mouse, honestly. Lots more like a traditional metroidvania, and the combat has a lot more interesting choices because of it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2012, 08:32:52 am »
There are apparently several different inherent variants of 360 controller mappings

Thank you, this is mostly what I wanted to hear. :)

I just like having good defaults. Some games with controller options seem to just assign the keys randomly and expect you to configure it yourself, and then I'm all - what the hell is "Button 11"?

Would you say the keyboard and gamepad are very similar? Does it have analog aiming? That can't really be done on a keyboard.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2012, 08:57:17 am »
The gamepad and keyboard are very similar.  There is no second-stick analog aiming (that would be akin to mouse support).  Rather, this is movement-directed aiming, where your shots go where you aim.  You can't aim behind yourself without turning around.  However, there are buttons for aiming up and down at an angle without moving, which on the gamepad tend to work best as the shoulder buttons.  In a lot of respects it's very similar to how Super Metroid or similar controls.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2012, 09:14:29 am »
The gamepad and keyboard are very similar.  There is no second-stick analog aiming (that would be akin to mouse support).  Rather, this is movement-directed aiming, where your shots go where you aim.  You can't aim behind yourself without turning around.  However, there are buttons for aiming up and down at an angle without moving, which on the gamepad tend to work best as the shoulder buttons.  In a lot of respects it's very similar to how Super Metroid or similar controls.

It really does feel just like Super Metroid's aim style though, since you mention it.   Pretty much exactly like it, actually. Having the "angle" buttons like that game did was a superb idea.

What I've played of it so far, this seriously does work out MUCH better (and much more interesting) than the targeting in the previous game.  Cant just target things and then run around like a moron while spamming the fire button anymore, and it also means that I definitely cant just fire just ONE spell over and over and expect to get somewhere.

This though was after shouting at the accursed PS3 controller for like an hour in an attempt to make it work.   Really, I dont know why Sony couldnt have just made the horrid things plug-n-play.... instead I have to smash multiple programs together to get that to work.   Once it IS up and going though, the game itself has absolutely no troubles with it.  I'm betting it'll have no issues whatsoever with a 360 one.

So, are we able to talk much about it on here, then, or would you rather we wait to say too much until the alpha is done?

Either way, I've only had about 2 hours with it so far..... I didn't notice the e-mail or PM until very late..... but I sent a big blob of feedback nonetheless.   I can at least say, this is looking very, very good so far, aside from some screwball balance issues.   

And those lumpy fireball-throwing dudes are incredibly annoying at times.  Just thought I'd point that out :P   Though, not at "eagle" level of annoying, not even close.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:18 am »
I haven't played much of it, but the gameplay does seem better than AVWW1 so far. I would like mouse control for the menus and dialog windows, however, but it's not a huge issue right now.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2012, 09:20:58 am »
They aren't plugnplay because bluetooth shenanigans. Meanwhile, I need to go find my PS2 controller and adapter.

Also, while not being in the alpha, I second the mouse support for menus thing.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2012, 09:22:00 am »
I think I prefer that type of movement and firing. Mainly because it means gamepad and keyboard are both viable options depending on what people enjoy using more.

Me? I'm more of a gamepad sorta guy for my platformers. Just feels more old-timey and suits the game type more.

And those lumpy fireball-throwing dudes are incredibly annoying at times.  Just thought I'd point that out :P   Though, not at "eagle" level of annoying, not even close.

Well I think if the game wants to me more Metroidvania, it should have something as annoying as the eagles back in just to be the Medusa Heads of the game.

I seriously can't wait to dive into the game when I get my invite/when beta comes.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:32 am »
I haven't played much of it, but the gameplay does seem better than AVWW1 so far. I would like mouse control for the menus and dialog windows, however, but it's not a huge issue right now.

Oh yeah, this.   This is the bit I forgot about in my feedback thing.   This really would be very helpful.

I think I prefer that type of movement and firing. Mainly because it means gamepad and keyboard are both viable options depending on what people enjoy using more.

Me? I'm more of a gamepad sorta guy for my platformers. Just feels more old-timey and suits the game type more.

Well I think if the game wants to me more Metroidvania, it should have something as annoying as the eagles back in just to be the Medusa Heads of the game.

I seriously can't wait to dive into the game when I get my invite/when beta comes.

Oh, I wont disagree with that, hah.   Any game like this has to have some sort of "Goddamn Bats" sort of monster in it.   I always thought though that the eagles went way beyond Medusa heads, or even Ninja Gaiden Birds.... they were just THAT aggravating.   This game so far, that sort of monster seems at the proper level of "annoying" this time around :p

The lumpy jerks sure are satisfying to flatten though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk