Author Topic: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.  (Read 94393 times)

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
Re: Interested in being a part of a private alpha for Valley 2? Read here.
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2012, 07:09:36 pm »
What movie?  That's a Duke 3D quote.  Are you thinking Die Hard?  Or am I totally missing that this is actually a DH quote?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Live

"When Nada enters the bank, he proclaims, "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." The line has become embedded in popular culture and is referenced regularly in the Duke Nukem series of video games by the main protagonist, a parody of 80s macho action heroes."

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2012, 07:09:57 pm »
Wow, that's cool -- I never knew where it originally came from.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2012, 07:11:55 pm »
It's a good movie!*

*If you like movies that are good due to their cheesiness/badness. Which personally I do.

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:32 pm »
It's a good movie!*

*If you like movies that are good due to their cheesiness/badness. Which personally I do.

I love my cheesy things. I should download purchase in a store online some time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:23:40 pm by MouldyK »

Offline LayZboy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:16 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGu4zQgTvg

Related due to beta push-back / Duke-talk.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:40 pm »
We rented that movie a long time ago just for that quote... So strange....  ;D

But, the delivery of "the line" is nowhere near as good as Jon St. John.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:52:16 pm by Penumbra »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
So, as will surprise no one, we're not ready for alpha today.  Beta should definitely be by the end of next week or I'm going to be pretty upset, though.  Alpha will get slotted in... as soon as we have things balanced to a point where the alpha testers wouldn't be wasting their time telling us stuff we already know.  We're getting there!  But this is actually a surprisingly big/deep game; in a lot of respects moreso than AVWW1.

Anyway, as a peace offering to those waiting patiently, here's a (pre-beta, obviously) screencap of the world map.  There's some old text in the bottom left, and some debugging stuff in the upper right.  And the resource bar in the upper left doesn't look quite the way it will in the final build yet, either.

The overlord's work map icon, and the player's icon on the world map, are also placeholder art in both cases.  And the ocean that you can see glimpses of is still the ocean art from the first game.  But the rest of the art is final for this game.  The completely-black areas are areas you've not yet scouted, whereas the partly-dark ones are corrupted tiles.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »
Oh wow! That looks amazing! It has a nice MoM or even Civ feel to it. Will be great to see this guy in motion!

Will you require testers to sign an NDA to avoid "media leaks" of the placeholder art?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2012, 01:56:07 pm »
We're not that much of sticklers.  Ideally the people who are interested in helping us alpha test have our best interests at heart... and if not, it's not the end of the world with something like this.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2012, 01:58:29 pm »
Looks intriguing.

Offline Nanashi

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »
"Draws" and "Swaps" make it sound like a card game, and I see chinese styled houses and Freudian towers!

I know modding capabilities aren't a priority right now, but if they ever get added in, I'll probably want to make my own little architecture themepark.

btw: What's the reasoning behind Arcen's habit of writing full clauses such as "Press <button> to <function>" over something more truncated such as "<button>: <function>"? I'm kinda nostalgic about the days when people would write command lists like "eXecute, Open, esCape, saVe, Use" and always just assumed that terse descriptions were favoured to reduce visual clutter.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »
"Draws" and "Swaps" make it sound like a card game

Those are technical terms related to graphics debugging; they're not at all part of the game you'd normally see. :)

btw: What's the reasoning behind Arcen's habit of writing full clauses such as "Press <button> to <function>" over something more truncated such as "<button>: <function>"? I'm kinda nostalgic about the days when people would write command lists like "eXecute, Open, esCape, saVe, Use" and always just assumed that terse descriptions were favoured to reduce visual clutter.

Because often the buttons are things like a number, and then some folks will assume a numbered list instead of button assignments.  Our reason for doing stuff like that comes from long experience with users both in business environments and with our games and things not being clear.  You'd be surprised.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »
People are stupid. Not kidding. Okay, maybe I'm unfair, but people of today and kids growing up today didn't live during the eighties when commands were obtuse and unexplained and you had to kind of "guess" your way forward, or as you say, understand subtle hints.

Also, we have a LOT more screen estate to play around with these days. Back then, screenspace were kind of a premium in 320x200 resolution ;)
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »
People were stupid in the 80s, too.  But they had giant manuals back then that explained everything in painful depth.  Plus computer use for anything other than word processing was limited to basically just the sort of people who don't need the extra tips now.

On the flip side, put me in front of some Chemistry or Electrical Engineering stuff, and experts in those fields are going to think I'm pretty stupid, too.  It's not so much about stupidity as it is about training (official or incidental-through-familiarity).

Kids these days are actually amazing with how fast they pick up modern-style technical stuff.  Mainly speaking of hardware, phone interfaces, and so on.  Arcen's stuff is a bit more old-school, and aimed at a somewhat more old-school audience, so we have to be more careful.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2012, 02:52:32 pm »
People were stupid in the 80s, too.  But they had giant manuals back then that explained everything in painful depth.
And people actually read them, most importantly.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk