Author Topic: (Brainstorm) A Remedy to the mundanity. (Maybe/Hopefully)  (Read 4639 times)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: (Brainstorm) A Remedy to the mundanity. (Maybe/Hopefully)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »

Not to mention new monsters

I think we've already establish on this forum that the combat lacks anything interesting., so I don't think that counts tbh. The only monster if found interesting was that bird-mecha-thing that appeared in boss zones sometimes.

Some of the newest stuff (like the infestation stuff, which sort of acts like environmental hazards) and some of the recent enemy types are interesting.

TBH, I'm not really sure why people are saying combat as it is now is deeply flawed (not saying you are, but others have).
Yes, there is a lack of variety in effects (ways they can impact enemies or the environment, not art effects), and I do think the "low total number of frame" animations on character attack animations combined with momentum usually not showing itself very well on firing of spells (though for many spells, it is very evident on hit) makes the combat "feel" stiff, but these do not require major redesigns of the system.
All of these points I mentioned about combat have been discussed in other threads too.

Plus, the current system and spell selection still gives a pretty decent variety, even though it could certainly use improvement.
spells you couldnt get before (usefulness seems to entirely depend on the player),

I only new spell I used was Ride The lighting, since it was useful to me. Things like launch meteor were just not useful at the time to due to high mana cost or that it's too weak, since it couldn't lower the amount of hits it took to kill a monster

See my point above about the acknowledged lack of variety in spell/damage effects, but there have been some clever new proposals too. One of the cooler ones (that admittedly would be difficult to balance right) is to allow some sort of projectile interaction. ("shooting down" enemy projectiles, allies combining projectiles into something even more powerful, things like that)

The second one could imply a major redesign of the balance of projectiles and enemies, but just adding new spell effects wouldn't. In any case, if new mechanics are added, some of them should definitely be "backported" to the some of the basic spells, because the basic spells are what are used in "everyday combat", and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon, and the basic spells are what people get during their very important first impression.

the Ice Pirates

A useless addition that either does nothing at all or cheapkills your JtP mission. Maybe if they were more threatening other than cheapkills in very specific missions, or there was a reason for getting rid of them.

Already acknowledged, even in 1.000 (read the pre-release notes and you'll see they had to delay some of their plans for them due to the upcoming release dates)
Also see Sky pirates: what are they and how do I make them get off the continent?
and Make ice pirates more interesting

I'll repeat my point though that I think they should probably be taken out until the missions involving them can be implemented, as by the dev's own admission, right now they are an incomplete map event.

I wouldn't really mind if the game was still in beta.
But it's not. It was released. That's the real problem for me, it just feels so unfinished. So I stopped playing the game till it has more focus.

Agreed, this game still feels beta, and frankly I feel it was pushed into 1.0 too soon. But this particular point has been debated to near death by now, so I'm not going to write a long post about it like I would otherwise be inclined to do.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:22:04 pm by techsy730 »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:12 pm »

I think we've already establish on this forum that the combat lacks anything interesting., so I don't think that counts tbh. The only monster if found interesting was that bird-mecha-thing that appeared in boss zones sometimes.

I don't think that's been "established" at all. Some people, myself included, quite like the combat of the game. No one here's calling it perfect, but to say it lacks anything interesting is, I feel, gross hyperbole.

This.

It hasnt been established whatsoever.

What HAS been established, is that some more variety in the attack spells would be a good idea..... that's all.

The combat though?  YOU might not like it...... I mean, the game is NOT going to be for everyone as a whole, and some aspects of it arent going to agree with everyone..... but plenty DO like it.   *I* think it's just fine.   It's pretty much exactly what I want;  dodging bullets and blasting baddies and fighting huge bosses.

Offline LayZboy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:36 pm »
some of the recent enemy types are interesting.

I think mimics would be a great addition to the monster role-call, something that just sits there disguised as certain treasure's (although with subtle differences to a real treasure) and does nothing until you get near it, then it starts chasing you down trying to eat you. A monster that could camouflage itself on the map somewhere, and then reveal itself to shot at you then move and hide again would also be a nice surprise as well. Just something that jumps out at you and gives you a shock for not paying attention to your surroundings, or just because the game feels like it.

I read that there was T-rex's added was it? When I did read it I was like "Is it A: a monster that shoots from range or B: a monster that runs at me". I just feel there is few variety in the monsters apart from how they look. One of the most note-able ones for me was the Will-o-wisp I think it's called? which had the gravity effect of pulling it towards you, I thought this was a really nice idea. Then it started shooting projectiles and I was just thought "oh, one of them again".

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »

Not to mention new monsters

I'm just going to say that talking as if you know the general pulse of everyone is a very, very bad idea. I personally find the combat to be way more engaging and interesting than many other platformers right now.

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:18 pm »
I think mimics would be a great addition to the monster role-call, something that just sits there disguised as certain treasure's (although with subtle differences to a real treasure) and does nothing until you get near it, then it starts chasing you down trying to eat you. A monster that could camouflage itself on the map somewhere, and then reveal itself to shot at you then move and hide again would also be a nice surprise as well. Just something that jumps out at you and gives you a shock for not paying attention to your surroundings, or just because the game feels like it.

Awesome idea, I'm all for it.

I read that there was T-rex's added was it? When I did read it I was like "Is it A: a monster that shoots from range or B: a monster that runs at me". I just feel there is few variety in the monsters apart from how they look. One of the most note-able ones for me was the Will-o-wisp I think it's called? which had the gravity effect of pulling it towards you, I thought this was a really nice idea. Then it started shooting projectiles and I was just thought "oh, one of them again".

Yep, I get the same feeling too, especially among the non-elite enemies. See Enemy AI and Behaviours

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk