Author Topic: AVWW2 - Controls  (Read 30608 times)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: AVWW2 - Controls
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2013, 03:45:53 pm »
The game Towns gets trashed pretty hard too. If you believed everything you read about it on the Steam forums you would think the game is completely unplayable. This is not true at all, of course. I have many hours in the game, and while it needs fleshing out, the core components of the game's mechanics are solid, functional and in place.
As far as Towns go, this is a matter of perception. There are a group of core players that enjoy it the way it is, however I decided to shelf it until it's more ready, because currently I find it too fiddly and un-enjoyable. On the opposite AVWW2 while needs (and will get!!!) improvements is pretty enjoyable as is for me.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2013, 03:51:35 pm »
The game Towns gets trashed pretty hard too. If you believed everything you read about it on the Steam forums you would think the game is completely unplayable. This is not true at all, of course. I have many hours in the game, and while it needs fleshing out, the core components of the game's mechanics are solid, functional and in place.
As far as Towns go, this is a matter of perception. There are a group of core players that enjoy it the way it is, however I decided to shelf it until it's more ready, because currently I find it too fiddly and un-enjoyable. On the opposite AVWW2 while needs (and will get!!!) improvements is pretty enjoyable as is for me.

I hope that Zespri, I do. Perhaps some my recent complaining is knowing arcen needs to get AVWW2 sooner rather then later, and this has been hinted at, so fundamental changes to this are quite up in the air. I'm at the point of saying "seeing is believing", rather then hoping. Call me jaded.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:54:25 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2013, 03:57:39 pm »
I kind of prefer the game and controls as is, but I still don't think the controls will ever go over well elsewhere.
There's a difference between games I like and games I think will sell. While I'm pretty sure at this point AVWW 2 will fit the former, I don't have much confidence it will get to be the latter.

As much as I disagree with a lot of the complaints about the controls, I also know that the majority decides what games sell well regardless of how justified or unjustified their opinions are.

The way things are going now I'm going to be getting the game I want, but I don't have much confidence that it will sell well as pessimistic as that is.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:59:23 pm by Professor Paul1290 »

Offline Skyrage

« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2013, 06:47:03 pm »
I happen to be a Towns player as well - followed it well before it became greenlit. The fault with that game is the fact that it was not properly stated as a work in progress, and before that somehow managed to get past Steam's supposed very harsh criteria of what kind of state a game must be in before it is released at all on their distribution platform. Generally people assume that Steam only sells games that are completed, so in a way I can understand why people would be ticked off - although at the same time the extreme narrow-mindedness these people show sometimes is equally annoying.

As for the VWW series, I sort of like the odd settings. Whilst far from perfect, I've still invested quite a many hours playing the first game. I was rather excited when I found out that a sequel was being made and I did give it a go. From the get-go I hated the controls though and I did spend a couple of hours trying to play before giving up due to the excessive tedium. Yes, I did get the hang of the controls in the end but that did not stop it from being very unintuitive and cumbersome.

If you absolutely insist on having a non-mouse control scheme, take a page from Gunstar Heroes. Maybe then you can get it to work. In that game you can choose whether you want to be able to run and gun towards the direction you are moving or shoot only while standing still but have a free 8-directional aim whilst doing so. Then you can have a simple WASD setup for motion and then whatever keys for your spells on the right side of the keyboard that you want. The sole drawback is that in order for either scheme to fully work is that you will sort of be required to constantly keep your "fire" button pressed down a lot in order to be flexible with the aim.

Generally though, controls should be as intuitive and flexible as possible for any kind of game regardless of genre, and nothing really beats mouse+keyboard in this regard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk