Author Topic: AVWW Beta 0.551, "Power Coding Finale: New Crafting Model, More Missions"  (Read 8458 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AVWW Beta 0.551, "Power Coding Finale: New Crafting Model, More Missions"
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 05:55:29 pm »
Oh yeah, that's for sure -- part of what the rebalancing of late was, was making it so that most of what is already available is at the start of a new kind of progression rather than being part of what the tiers system used to be.  The whole crafting system used to be a lot more flat, and now it's going to be way more of a progression than it was before.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »
Since the missions are still in their infancy I don't really want to go to town on them but....

The "Establish Wind Shelter" mission is pretty odd. There isn't actually a wind shelter anywhere in the node after you have finished the mission.....plus I'm not sure what climbing a tower has to do with creating a wind shelter. It seems like the mission would be much better if it was clearing the mini-bosses in a node or maybe a group of npcs appearing from one of your settlements and you have to defend them from monsters while they build the wind shelter)

So far I haven't done a rescue settler mission, I'm going to do one now.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:33:48 pm by Dizzard »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »
Since the missions are still in their infancy I don't really want to go to town on them but....

The "Establish Wind Shelter" mission is pretty odd. There isn't actually a wind shelter anywhere in the node after you have finished the mission.....plus I'm not sure what climbing a tower has to do with creating a wind shelter.

As noted in the release notes, both of those are incredibly placeholder and just work like the rare commodity towers.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 07:35:21 pm »

The "Establish Wind Shelter" mission is pretty odd. There isn't actually a wind shelter anywhere in the node after you have finished the mission.....plus I'm not sure what climbing a tower has to do with creating a wind shelter.

As noted in the release notes, both of those are incredibly placeholder and just work like the rare commodity towers.

I added an idea for the wind shelter in the previous post. It would put some of your settler npcs in danger (maybe 3-4) and you would have to defend them from monsters until they're finished building the wind shelter.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 07:36:45 pm »
Having the NPCs physically leave the settlements would cause various problems at the moment, but we have a variety of cool things planned that will involve NPCs. :)

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 07:38:09 pm »
Having the NPCs physically leave the settlements would cause various problems at the moment, but we have a variety of cool things planned that will involve NPCs. :)

Do they have to physically leave the settlements though? Could you not create a copy (of the settlers) for the mission....and then update the settler list based on who lived/died?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:40:03 pm by Dizzard »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »
NPCs occupy a physical space just like you do.  They can't be in two places at once.  Patience, please -- we have lots of plans for missions, and would like to get our basics in there before too many suggestions.  There will be a time when we want ideas for missions, but actually a lot of folks (you included) have already given us a bunch of ideas for missions and right now we have less time than ideas rather than the other way around, at least for a few weeks. :)

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • Love, Peace, and Calvinball
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »
- Fog of war was brought up in the other thread, and I think perhaps it's worth considering it while at the same time reconsidering the area numbering system. In fact, one has to consider them both together since the current gating system is the numbering system. I always found it a little strange that areas had visible level numbers. It's not a bad thing, but it's a little artificial feeling -- other games usually do this behind the scenes in some fashion. How about a system where you slowly expand the area that's visible (ie. not in the fog of war?) Areas that are semi-foggy will have higher level monsters (they'd be higher level than you), while explored areas will be your level. Perhaps really bright areas will be lower levels. In a sense, the brightness of a tile would represent how much you've tamed that tile. This gives a more intuitive feel to the area levels, while incorporating a mechanic to keep the world 'unknown' and mysterious.
Just wanted to say, I REALLY like this idea, and completely agree about it increasing immersion.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
As for the NPCs, Chris let me in on a little bit of what they have planned today. I'm really excited about it and looking forward to he and Keith getting it implemented into the game, I think you'll like it too.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk