Author Topic: AVWW Beta 0.537, "Elemental Resistance," Released!  (Read 5184 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AVWW Beta 0.537, "Elemental Resistance," Released!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 02:26:06 pm »
My thoughts exactly. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 05:28:32 pm »
Does anyone elses game get pretty laggy during battles after this update? I don't think it's anything on my computer....

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »
Battles in what sense -- eagles, or bosses, or what?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:49 pm »
fine for me no noticeable difference in any battles so far.

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 07:46:20 pm »
Battles in what sense -- eagles, or bosses, or what?

Any time things get hectic really....when many spells are being thrown about. It's happened a few times now (against bosses, eagles and other enemies)

It's not every battle but occasionally it will appear like a stutter and I'll have moved a little.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:53:34 pm by Dizzard »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 07:54:09 pm »
Is it possible you're just getting into larger battles now than you have in the past?  The more spells and such onscreen, the more load it puts on your GPU.  Also if you have dynamic skies on and there are windows nearby (or your are outside), that will hurt your performance, too.  With a gaming GPU it should be no problem whatsoever (I almost never get fewer than 90fps in my uncapped dev builds on my five year old 8800 GTS, with dynamic skies on), but depending on your GPU you might really want to use static skies to make sure that you can get a consistent 60fps.

Or it's possible there's some new issue that I'm just not seeing, of course, but this is the first I've heard of it.  It could also be that eagle bug where the monsters are stacking up consciousness shards to a crazy degree.  That's new in this version and would cause massive slowdown with eagles present in exterior areas, but it wouldn't be something you'd see indoors or with smaller numbers of enemies in most cases.

Offline Dizzard

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 08:17:50 pm »
The thing is I remember playing the game on the same settings in the past and it was as smooth as can be. :S

It's not game breaking or anything, just a little annoying.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 08:20:45 pm »
Well, like I said, there could be some new bug that only you are seeing at the moment -- some confluence of circumstances.  If you have a save and a way to repro where it does it for you, I can certainly take a look.

Given the massive amount of multilayer-related changes that have been going into the game lately it's quite possible there's some silent something, but what surprises me is that you're the only one reporting it so far.  Again: could be some confluence of events that only you've actually managed to combine in a certain fashion so far.  That definitely happens from time to time!

Offline wyvern83

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 04:47:19 pm »
How do you read the new elemental icons for mobs and bosses? Bosses have both strengths and weaknesses so I don't know to read them. I can guess at the meaning of some of them but if its a positive or negative thing that the enemy has it is something I can't decipher.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 05:58:57 pm »
There's little up and down arrows above each of the actual icons -- the ones pointing up means you'll do more damage to them, whereas the ones pointing down mean less damage.  If you want to check the correlations of what icon means what element, hit P to pause and then hover the cursor over the enemy to see their detailed stats.

Offline wyvern83

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 06:39:08 pm »
Thanks, thats really handy to know.  After I posted originally, I'd discovered the hitting pause allowed to get a mouse-over pop-up but I wasn't sure which way the numbers went. My next lieutenant is 99% immune to light, earth, and wind, so apparently I really need to find a high level water gem, in addition to the entropy spells I have already, to defeat him.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:39 pm »
Yeah, I really need to make that more clear in the next version in the pause menu.  There's already a mantis issue: http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=5111

And yeah, that's a really rough set of immunities to run into for sure; fairly unlikely to have three fully at 99%!  There's also fire that you can use on him, of course, so you still have half the elements to work with.  But, yeah -- rough. :)

Offline wyvern83

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 08:25:07 pm »
Tidal Pulse helped alot, now that I have a level appropriate one.

I must say the elemental damage change was a very good one to make as I never really used Tidal Pulse before but now that I can dive the Lava Plains I find it quite handy to use against fire bats. However giving faeries earth resistance was a harsh move as Meteor was my best weapon against them. I'm not sure what I'll be using instead but I'm avoiding them for now.

Also, I'd like to add that the new rooms, stairwells, and boss rooms that have been being added recently are fantastic. High Fives all around for anyone who is helping make new rooms, I've really enjoyed them. The windows and scenic lava have been some of my favorite touches.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
Cheers, thanks!

And I've been waiting for someone to mention the fairies -- I know I was really mean with them. ;)  I think creeping death is the best alternative right now, although I've had some success with energy pulse as well. :)

Offline wyvern83

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 08:53:46 pm »
I tried using Creeping Death and Energy Pulse in tandem against them but in order for it to work you have to dodge around alot. I ended up deep inside the room as a result with Faeries on three sides between me and the entrance. I didn't make it back out.  It's a hard combo, but it could still work with in an easier situation - the door in the room I was in was up in the top left corner and I kinda of fell/jumped too far into the bottom right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk