Author Topic: Any chance for Steam friends integration for coop?  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Scorcher24

Any chance for Steam friends integration for coop?
« on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:22 am »
I tried to play MP with a friend and we've never been able to connect to each other. Ports are open/forwarded and I really don't know why we timed out all the time. We tried both directions.

So it would really be much better if we could just host a game and join via Steam friends system because that always works unless you sit behind a really tight firewall.
I buy my games on Steam only and please don't take it the wrong way, but I kinda expect games to use it. Don't mean to be rude, but you know... entitled customer and such :P.

So if it is somehow doable without too much work I'd really appreciate if that is put in later on, even if it is after release.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Any chance for Steam friends integration for coop?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:19:18 am »
I don't think there's much chance, no. We use an entirely different networking protocol.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:30 am »
Loads of games do not have Steam Intergration for their multiplayer and saying you expect your games to use them is actually rude.

Also, entitled customer is a pretty annoying term of late. xD

Have you tried connecting to any other multiplayer server on the game?

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:25:24 pm »
Sometimes when I try to play multiplayer, my firewall blocks the game even if I explicitly allow everything involving the game. It's bad enough, I have to actually disable my firewall entirely in order for it to let anything in or out. Try that maybe?
And if I can solve the mystery as to why I have to do that in the first place, that would be wonderful.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:57 pm »
Firewalls and routers are among the crankiest pieces of software I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. But no, Steam integration is not happening.

Those that can't work around their routers with port forwarding and firewalls usually resort to using VPN solutions such as Hamachi or Tungle.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk