Author Topic: AI War Wiki - unit stats template table  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
AI War Wiki - unit stats template table
« on: July 05, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »
I have a question about the AI War wiki's innards.

All units have their own page with a table containing all their stats. These tables are inserted by using a template of the form:
{{AIWarTableXXX}}
I believe these tables are automatically generated to be up to date, however there is several units without tables (or with tables I can't find). The Zenith Hydra sounds like a good example. Can I (a mundane wiki editor) create these? If yes, how? If no, who?

Thanks in advance.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: AI War Wiki - unit stats template table
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 08:02:06 pm »
In order to make templates, all you should have to do is be signed in and search for the page named Template:AIWarTableXXX with everything after the Template part being the name of the template. Then create the page. As for doing the actual template creation, you'll want to probably copy and paste a template for your first try to learn how it all works -- it is very complicated.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:16:10 pm »
Templates can get super complicated because the syntax has two major "problems"

1) Whitespace is important (you can't do carriage returns and tabbed alignment for readability, because that actually alters the result)
2) Its syntax is subject to Wiki syntax. {x} means something already, so does {{x}} which is why if statements look like this:

Code: [Select]
{{#if:{{{Input-link|}}}|{{{Input-link}}}|{{{Input}}}}}
Yes, that's actually an if-then-else statement.
Specifically, if the variable "Input-link" is not blank, then write it, else use the variable "Input" as the link destination.

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:07:13 am »
Okay, so units' stat tables need to be manually updated when the game change. Ouch.

Well, thanks for the answer. I'll try that soon.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:09 am »
In theory,  someone could design a bot that updates ship stats for us.  Though that might be difficult to say the least. If anyone knows python,  they could probably do it though.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 08:08:18 am »
I hope it will be more easily done with the next AIW's engine. If all ship's definitions are in xml files, a basic script would be able to automatically create the wiki's tables.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk