Author Topic: This is not a dinosaur game!  (Read 24126 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
This is not a dinosaur game!
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:47:59 pm »
It's funny that the dinosaurs bit is the part that everyone latches onto the most.  This is not chiefly a dinosaur game at all.  Just as an fyi, because folks seem to be getting the wrong idea in the absence of other information.  Yes there are dinosaurs.  But there are a lot more aliens and robots and corrupted human enemies.  Dinosaurs are one of a variety of genetic-experiment-style creatures you'll run into in the wilderness, away from the main enemy towns and forts.

...and yes, it's possible you might be able to turn into a dinosaur for a while in the game at times, but that's just one feature among many many more core ones. ;)

Just throwing this out there so people are not disappointed later. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: This is not a dinosaur game!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:52:51 pm »
So to sum up, It's all about dinosaurs?

>D

Katanaka Ultimate Maker. Never Forgive, Never Forget.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:55:17 pm »
So to sum up, It's all about dinosaurs?

>D

you mean robot dinosaurs of course.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:55:54 pm »

I can give you some more suggestions if you like.  >D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:03:11 pm »
you know id be prepared for more dinosaur nerding as time goes on if I were you Chris especially with a community as nerdy as this one.
c.r

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:03:22 pm »
Heh.

;D

More seriously, so this game isn't all about dinosaurs, which is understandable (but sad). But why do almost all of the games made with dinosaurs turn out so bad? Dinosaurs are awesome. Is it that the underlying mechanics aren't very good and throwing Dinosaurs on top of it just don't do anything to fix that problem?

(PS: Remind me to send you my Debuglog which is current getting echo-checks from every single boundary collision call caused by batman.)
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 06:39:27 pm »
For the debuglog stuff, be sure to send that to Keith, not me. :)

And yeah, I know what you mean about most dinosaur-based games being bad.  I don't know, maybe I'll make one that focuses on them at some point.  I don't see any inherent limitations with having dinosaurs as a core mechanic-anchor in a game, but so many games have just been poor games+ dinosaurs.

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis 3 was pretty sweet, though.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 07:30:18 pm »
For the debuglog stuff, be sure to send that to Keith, not me. :)

And yeah, I know what you mean about most dinosaur-based games being bad.  I don't know, maybe I'll make one that focuses on them at some point.  I don't see any inherent limitations with having dinosaurs as a core mechanic-anchor in a game, but so many games have just been poor games+ dinosaurs.

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis 3 was pretty sweet, though.
probably more of a coincidence than anything really also am I right in thinking this games 3d? its just what I've heard makes it sounds super 3d but that sounds like it would be quite expensive.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 07:33:52 pm »
Yup, this is our first 3D game.  I'm having to learn a lot about this particular engine and how it handles a lot of the 3D concepts that I've just bypassed before, but I have a huge background in 3D as a hobby so I'm not having to start from scratch.  Hopefully this will be ready to start showing off in the next couple of weeks in terms of a few early videos, and a kickstarter in late March or sometime in April.  It's coming together pretty killer so far, although I still have a lot to do.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:15 pm »
Yup, this is our first 3D game.  I'm having to learn a lot about this particular engine and how it handles a lot of the 3D concepts that I've just bypassed before, but I have a huge background in 3D as a hobby so I'm not having to start from scratch.  Hopefully this will be ready to start showing off in the next couple of weeks in terms of a few early videos, and a kickstarter in late March or sometime in April.  It's coming together pretty killer so far, although I still have a lot to do.
hu that should be rather interesting though It should interesting to see how my laptop copes with it the last 3d game I played that my laptop actually run well was blood money which is a rather old game I could easily upgrade to something capable of handling that but most of the games I seem to really like are in 2d I just really prefer it to 3d besides the performance I just find that to me personally there just more interesting looking.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 07:58:44 pm »
Obviously I also love 2D games, but after 7 years I also want to change things up.  This is also a passion project for me, because my wife and I really want to play this sort of game and nobody makes it.  Yes there are other survival games and whatnot, but none do what this one will.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 08:12:08 pm »
Obviously I also love 2D games, but after 7 years I also want to change things up.  This is also a passion project for me, because my wife and I really want to play this sort of game and nobody makes it.  Yes there are other survival games and whatnot, but none do what this one will.
yea that's just my personal preference I will play this game though it will be nice to play a survival game that isn't in early access for once (although the flame in the flood doesn't look bad).
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 08:15:01 pm »
...this will be in early access...

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 08:37:41 pm »
But why do almost all of the games made with dinosaurs turn out so bad? Dinosaurs are awesome. Is it that the underlying mechanics aren't very good and throwing Dinosaurs on top of it just don't do anything to fix that problem?

I think its because the underlying mechanics aren't good, and then dinosaurs are thrown on top.  In some cases, the dinosaurs were there to begin with, but the underlying mechanics never worked out, so it was sold with extra hype because dinosaurs.

Not that there aren't good dinosaur games, of course.  I happen to have a friend that's working on one called Saurian.  Which is also full of SCIENCE.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 08:38:06 pm »
...this will be in early access...
  >:( seriously? what is it with 95 percent of survival games being in early access?! still in that case ill be playing it when its finished I don't buy early access games(except if there at the point were there pretty much finished) out of principle.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk