Poll

How is version 1.004 of Tidalis working for you?

I have been using it heavily for days or weeks, and it's perfectly fine.
3 (27.3%)
I've just been using it for a little while so far, but it seems fine.
7 (63.6%)
It works fine, but the performance seems worse.
0 (0%)
I am having game freezes or crashes.
0 (0%)
I haven't tried it yet.
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Important Poll: Is version 1.004 working well for you?  (Read 3671 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Important Poll: Is version 1.004 working well for you?
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:31:42 am »
So, I was planing on releasing 1.004 as an official update a week or two ago, but I've been wary of doing so because we had a report from one player who was having troubles with 1.003 and 1.004, and I didn't know if that was related to the new sound streaming changes I made.  We haven't had any reports aside from that one player, so it might be something is just odd on his machine, but I haven't heard from a lot of people using the latest beta here, so I don't know how many people are using it successfully. 

Hence this poll -- it would really help us out to know how 1.004 is working for folks.  If this seems to be an isolated thing for one player, then we can move on toward a release (we hunted for the issue that he was seeing, but have yet to see any smoking gun and have yet to be able to duplicate it, so it may be a driver thing or some sort of security software or something else external), but if this is something more widespread then we need to wait on the release and keep digging.  If you have been having any problems with 1.003 and 1.004 and have not already told us, can you let us know?

My guess is that things are fine, but I wanted to do a sanity check before we move to an official release, you know?  Thanks a lot!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Ogtacular

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Important Poll: Is version 1.004 working well for you?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 12:25:09 am »
Not sure if this is the right place, but....whatever.  :)

I'm the squeaky wheel in question, and at this point the only problem that remains is the apparent AI confusion regarding inverters.  That deal where the AI will keep trying to pass a stream through an inverter that will never match the three tiles required to activate.  I just tried it again to verify.

But performance-wise, everything has been rosy since v1.003.  None of the oddball crashes or string failures I'd had in v1.003.  FYI, I selected the "everything is hunky-dory" option on the poll, because honestly I don't really really USE inverters all that much and it can take a little while to GET to the point that the AI forgets.  Hell, there's a certain RTS game I play that had a patch that just neutered the AI almost entirely...I'm not going to sweat this much at all, ESPECIALLY if its only happening on mine.

Todd

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:56:18 am »
That's wonderful news!  The inverter thing is definitely something we want to fix, but I think we've had trouble duplicating it.  Glad to hear this sounds like the release is solid, though!  Assuming my wife doesn't go into labor over the weekend, I'll do the official release on Monday, then.  Thanks for the note!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Ogtacular

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 01:10:51 am »
Wow....congratulations!  Boy, girl, or TBA?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:11:43 am »
Thanks!  It's a boy, our first.  Definitely exciting, but it's making most of my plans around now sort of tentative, heh.

Offline Ogtacular

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 01:17:55 am »
I can only imagine.  In my family, I've got the easy job of "weird uncle Bob" to my sister's kid.  Good times, and I haven't even had a chance to teach him armpit noises yet.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 01:26:12 am »
 :D

Offline Mivo

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:31:54 pm »
Updated and so far it seems to be working fine.

Hope the birth went well, if it already took place, or will go well, when your son embarks on his journey to the exciting world of video gaming (and everything else, too!). :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:54:01 am »
Thanks!  (And, yeah, I look forward to introducing my son to video games, too).

No baby yet, but a couple of false alarms over the weekend.  There are a couple of last tweaks I want to get in place for the official 1.005 version, and I want to be sure to get my last stuff done for the next AI War beta version (which is a pretty significant update), so I'm actually going to push the Tidalis official version back a day or two.  Doing an official release properly is always a big interruption for things with me, so I want to make sure I have the time to do it right.

But it's really good to hear that there doesn't seem to be a blocker with the stability with it!

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
1.004 is fine here, no difference from what I have seen.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 04:23:03 am »
Nothing unusual to report from my end. 

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline CautiousChaos

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:08 am »
Bubba's "outie" bellybutton scares me, but that's been there since early in the beta.  Otherwise everything has been running smooth like butter.  Or silk, I guess. 

-cc

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 09:17:21 am »
 :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 12:51:55 pm »
That's all great news!  I'm locking this topic now, as the 1.005 official patch is now done and out (in the Arcen updater) and coming soon (via full installer, and via Steam and Impulse).  Thanks, all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk