Author Topic: First tutorial bugged?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline SmileyFace

First tutorial bugged?
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:57:57 am »
Ok, so I just bought Tidalis. It was inevitable ;D

I loaded it up, entered the serial key (Steam), and went directly to the first tutorial as suggested by the game. The goal: Click a block. So I did, annnnd... nothing happened.

I got a "glowing M" in the bottom-right corner of the block, if I recall. This would toggle on and off if I kept clicking. After clicking madly, I even got a "glowing M4" symbol to toggle on and off. But no stream, and no way to complete the level.

Restarting the level via admitting defeat (!) did not help. But restarting it via the tutorial menu, did.

So what's the deal? Did I press some key or activate some special mode without knowing it? Was it the shift+tab to get rid of the Steam overlay? It was a confusing start! ???

Edit: Having played a few more tutorials now, I feel I had better point out that no, I was not right-clicking. It was the left mouse button that did this behaviour.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:00:19 am by SmileyFace »

Offline kout

• Newbie Mark II
Re: First tutorial bugged?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:44:40 am »
I had the same problem the first time I played. It does happen because the steam overlay:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,6401.0.html
 :)

Offline SmileyFace

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:17 pm »
Thanks! That clears it up nicely. I see it's not a major issue and has a workaround.

That said, it still warrants a fix. For me, the Steam overlay displayed the serial key in a small window until I pressed shift+tab and got rid of it, which is pretty much the first thing I wanted to do after entering the key into Tidalis.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:42:04 am »
Yes, we really want that fixed, but (iirc) it's the same root bug as stuff getting messed up after alt-tabbing or whatnot, which means Unity has to fix it, we have no control over it misinterpreting those events and don't even have a reliable way of knowing what timeframe-of-events or number-of-events will be misinterpreted after a given alt-tab or overlay activation or whatever.

Let me add that Unity rocks in general, this is just one of the very few significant issues we have with the engine.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:40:19 pm »
It's definitely a very frustrating one, though, to be sure.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk