Author Topic: Video of the new combat stuff in 0.806!  (Read 1559 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Video of the new combat stuff in 0.806!
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »
Original: http://christophermpark.blogspot.com/2014/03/0806-alpha-update-last-federation.html

The Last Federation is a really unique game in that it is a strategy/tactics game set inside a simulation game.  Check out its game page for details, or swing by the forums for the game.  This is Arcen's largest title ever, and we're really excited to share it with folks.

Alpha Information! Private alpha testing with players is currently in progress, and we will be adding more players throughout the coming weeks leading up to release.  If you're interested in signing up, please see this forum post.

Two days ago I posted an extended gameplay trailer that showed off both the new combat and the solar map.  As so often happens, our players and viewers are extremely clever and had some great feedback.  This video shows off what's new in the last two days, and it's quite significant.

The additions were inspiring in particular by viewers who pointed out the limited nature of only having one gun at a time.  So -- three guns at once, among other additions.

TLDR Of What's New
1. You now have 3 main guns, and can switch between them, rather than only having one.
2. You now have 3 special abilities beyond that, rather than 5 (no room).
3. You really do need to switch weapons depending on the targets you are after, or even if their shields are up at the moment or whatever, because the right tool for the job suddenly makes a big difference.
4. Balance is revamped pretty well everywhere.
5. Three or four new guns, don't recall which.
6. Flagships no longer start out in the boonies.
7. The extreeeeeme imbalance with Bargaining Power is addressed.

Or here's the full changelog.

Until next time!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kingpin23

Re: Video of the new combat stuff in 0.806!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:00:24 am »
I really like the combat part. Looks like a lot of fun.

some suggestions:

- colorblind mode
- gamepad support 360 (twin stick shooter
- survival mode / arcade mode
- needs more challenge. It looks to easy at this point.
- get rid of the speed settings and lock it . So you can add a Focus button as a special ability for
  your flagship that you can activate to dodge bullets once in a while
- special mercenarie ships that races can send after you to kill you.
  These ships have special abilitys aswell. Like weapons and cloaking devices
- give the flagship some weight/ momentum when flying/stopping/turning so it doesnt look so static
 when moving around.(srry for the bad English)
(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:37:12 am by Kingpin23 »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:40:30 am »
Good point on the colorblind mode, I'll make sure and add that in.  The colors for the race-neutral stuff is already all colorblind-friendly, but obviously with the race colors we use the full spectrum.

Adding gamepad support might be interesting, but I'm not sure how well it would work or if it would fit into the current timeframe.

Bear in mind I was playing on Normal difficulty mode, and there are also Hard and Misery above that.  The default is supposed to be relatively easy, at least in the first couple of fights (I mean, killing players right away is hugely demoralizing, and I showed you two fights at the very start of the game).

Getting rid of speed settings would get my lynched, sorry.

There are already assassins and AFA ships that the races can send after you, and will, later in the game.  You'll like that, I suspect. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:48:55 am »
The combat reminds me a lot of SPAZ, and that is a good thing.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:10:38 am »
The combat reminds me a lot of SPAZ, and that is a good thing.

Excellent. :)  We had a lot of "it's not really like SPAZ" previously, so glad to see that's more of a comparison... I guess.  I know those guys and am totally not trying to tread on their toes at all.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:23:33 am »
I know those guys and am totally not trying to tread on their toes at all.
Well to be fair having similar combat mechanics doesn't make a game a copy or a clone. If so, every single FPS-game of today would be considered clones of Wolfenstein3D and its ilk. I just found the combat of SPAZ to be adequately detailed and enjoyable. If this has a similar system it sounds good in my book. ;)
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:26:10 am »
True, that's a good point! :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:20:59 pm »
shouldn't the other guys you are shooting at be more agressive? It looked in the video like they were just sitting around a lot waiting to be shot. If you cranked up the difficulty, then perhaps the player would have to run/kite and fight, instead of wading in the middle and having them just ignore him?

-T

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »
Generally speaking, the squadrons are what do most of the fighting.  That said, the flagships are getting tougher also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk