Author Topic: Understanding Combat Damage  (Read 1083 times)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Understanding Combat Damage
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:24:40 pm »
For the most part the combat damage makes sense. However, every now and then something happens that doesn't add up and I don't know why. Sometimes it's because I forget to take something into account, but that's not too often. I've made some mantis reports and sometimes there is a discrepancy and it is fixed, sometimes I just misinterpreted things, and sometimes it remains a mystery. Rather than keep spamming the mantis, I thought I'd bring it up here. Then, if it is obvious what's going on, I can creep away into the darkness, and if not, we can make a more informed mantis item.

Here is a mystery case, can you explain it?
The screenshot is attached.

• My spreadshot shots do 2200 Ballistic damage.
  • I'm shooting an Evuck Interceptor. It is immune to missiles and pierce and takes only 15% from Concussion. It does not have a listed multiplier versus ballistics.
  • You can see that the Interceptors take 1109, 1110, 1026, and 5545 (which is either 2.5 or 5 hits) damage to four different interceptors in the same round.
  • I've kept my power at 100%, I didn't monkey around with it before or after the round.
  • It doesn't seem to have anything to do with range.
  • It is not unique to spreadshot. I've seen it happen with Energy Blaster. I never really use the other weapons, so I don't know about them.
My problems
  • This is half the expected damage. Where did the damage go?
  • There is variance in the damage. This is more generic. I'm assuming there is some random variance in shot damage? Anyone know the formula?
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Understanding Combat Damage
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:58:49 pm »
Hum.

I think--and this is based only on what I can see in that screenshot--that the base damage is 2220.

This is fine and dandy.

Except that your power bars are at "even split" which is 50%-50%-50%, so your spreadshot is actually doing 1110 damage per bullet.

Ok, that helps.

Looking at the numbers we get the following:
1109 -- 1 damage less than the per-bullet.  Weird, but whatever.
1026 -- 84 damage less than the per-bullet.  Very weird.
5545 -- 5 damage less than 5 bullets worth.  Equivalent to that first one.
4945 -- 605 damage less than 5 bullets worth.  Or 121 less per bullet.  Extremely weird.
1110 -- Dead on the expected value (ship is in the upper left corner)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:01:30 pm by Draco18s »

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:19:25 pm »
Ah, validation that someone is just as bad as I am. ;D
4 bars is each power, is indeed neutral, but it is 100% for everything, not 50%.
Your shot strengths do change to reflect your power settings. So if I had it set to 200% weapon damage it would have appeared as 4440, likewise if down to 50%, it would appear as 1110.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:58:37 am »
Then I don't know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk