Author Topic: The news on schedule and staffing, 2/17/2014.  (Read 8979 times)

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
Re: The news on schedule and staffing, 2/17/2014.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 06:27:29 am »
The logistics overhead involved might be problematic, but it's worth considering if you haven't done so already.

That's pretty much why we haven't. Also, I didn't think a logo on a shirt would actually sell -- as that's really all I could think to put for AI War. It varies for the rest of our games, though the art has definitely picked up over the last year. Still, it's not like we're mass producing Thoraxian plushies here (it just wants to cuddle).

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 08:15:16 am »
Regarding shirts and similar, the sorts of things I'm personally inclined to buy are more graphic-design oriented, with something funny on them.  Like the many shirts by Penny Arcade, of which I have around 12ish.  Or the "In case of implosion, look directly into implosion" Portal shirt.  Or the "You have died of dysentery" shirt my wife has.  Etc.

I think that sort of thing could be really popular with certain crowds, but the market is definitely a niche within a niche if the joke is an in-joke.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:06 am »
"Well, that blows"

Regarding shirts and similar, the sorts of things I'm personally inclined to buy are more graphic-design oriented, with something funny on them.  Like the many shirts by Penny Arcade, of which I have around 12ish.  Or the "In case of implosion, look directly into implosion" Portal shirt.  Or the "You have died of dysentery" shirt my wife has.  Etc.

I think that sort of thing could be really popular with certain crowds, but the market is definitely a niche within a niche if the joke is an in-joke.
You don't think a "Why was I programmed to feel pain" shirt would be a hot seller?

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 08:54:28 am »
The Simpsons might have something to say about that.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 08:55:31 am »
That sucks. :( Hope everybody lands on their feet.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 08:59:41 am »

You don't think a "Why was I programmed to feel pain" shirt would be a hot seller?

Why... did I not think of this before!?  That is absolutely awesome, we'll have to pursue that as time permits. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 09:23:34 am »
I am sorry to hear Josh, Erik and Cath are losing their jobs, though it seems that Erik is still hard about PR and Cath may have a comeback. I certainly hope so. Josh too if things go well, but as you said, balancing the budget is the key. I have that difficulty myself and it is a bear at times. Hoping for better times for all of us. Take care,
-Teal

Offline jerith

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 09:29:44 am »

Why... did I not think of this before!?  That is absolutely awesome, we'll have to pursue that as time permits. :)

Maybe one about free will for Skyward Collapse?

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 09:35:42 am »
Haven't watched the Simpsons since like season 5, so totally didn't catch that.   8)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 09:38:06 am »
Haven't watched the Simpsons since like season 5, so totally didn't catch that.   8)

What am I missing?  Is that a Simpsons quote?

EDIT: Quick google search, and... yeah.  That's a no-go, then.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:32 am »
Well.  Not quite the news I was hoping to see upon refreshing the forum page.

I'll sum up what some of the others are probably thinking as well here and say "Well, that blows".
+1 :-\.
The best of luck to all of you, current and former Arcenites!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:37:55 am by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Riabi

• Former Arcen Staff (tigersfan)
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 11:12:17 am »
So, for those who don't recognize the name (which is probably most of you), this is Josh, formerly tigersfan. I made a new account so that we could keep all the posts that say "From staff" as staff posts.

Anyway, I just want to thank everyone. This is truly the best online community I've ever been a part of I feel like I've made some genuine friends here, both on staff and from the community at large. I don't plan to go away, but I might post less than I used to. :)

For the record, I know Chris knows this, but there are no hard feeling on my part for what happened. I understand why it had to. I'm not sure where I'm going yet, but, I have some leads, and some good friends getting the word out, and I expect to be back on my feet soon. There are even a few game companies that are local to me, so I might even get to stay in the industry, we'll see. :)

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:34 am »
So, for those who don't recognize the name (which is probably most of you), this is Josh, formerly tigersfan. I made a new account so that we could keep all the posts that say "From staff" as staff posts.

Anyway, I just want to thank everyone. This is truly the best online community I've ever been a part of I feel like I've made some genuine friends here, both on staff and from the community at large. I don't plan to go away, but I might post less than I used to. :)

For the record, I know Chris knows this, but there are no hard feeling on my part for what happened. I understand why it had to. I'm not sure where I'm going yet, but, I have some leads, and some good friends getting the word out, and I expect to be back on my feet soon. There are even a few game companies that are local to me, so I might even get to stay in the industry, we'll see. :)
Best of luck to you Josh, and thanks for everything you've done for this community.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 11:37:33 am »
Best of luck to you Josh, and thanks for everything you've done for this community.
Wholeheartedly seconded :).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline alocritani

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 01:42:54 pm »
Sometimes, waiting for a new game, I simply forget that behind it there are real people, with real families, and business that have to be sustained-
Seeing how much energy and effort you put in your games let me think "these people are really doing what they want to do, and enjoying doing that".
But suddenly reality hits hard: in order to make games a company needs to pay employers, sell previous games,  and still it may suffer for external causes.

I'm sad for you, hoping things will go better as time passes but a part of me is happy (no, happy is not the right term, maybe simply "less sad" because you decide to share this info with us, creating an even stronger participation and link between you, your company, and this community.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk