Author Topic: Special abilities balance/bugs thread  (Read 959 times)

Offline topper

Special abilities balance/bugs thread
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:54 am »
Moving towards the end of alpha, I am getting the feeling that the special abilities need another balance/bugs pass. Since we cannot cycle through them in battle anymore, the strengths/weaknesses really stand out.

I did not want to file a bunch of new Mantis tickets on things that were mostly my opinion, to speak up if you agree/disagree with my comments, and post any of your own balance/bugs/ideas (and Mantis links if they exist).

Hopefully we can help the devs by coming to a consensus about what is most important to get done with special abilities before release. Then we can get them into Mantis.

gravity missile
- bug? if is does not hit a flagship, it does not explode for much damage?
nuke
- bug? if is does not hit a flagship, it does not explode for much damage?
- bug? you do not lose any influence for ruining environment using nukes (0014151)
stunner
- bug? does not always stun all enemies within its range (0014152)
virus
- bug? does not always convert all sm and med ships in range (0014152)
- idea: increase range of effect to make it more useful (0014052)
operations
- bug? spawning ships increases the fire rate of all enemies in many directions, making it harder instead of easier.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:15:24 am by topper »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Special abilities balance/bugs thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:54 am »
Are there mantis records for the suspected bugs you listed? :)  I don't check the TLF mantis list myself, but Chris does.  If he doesn't see it there it's unlikely to be worked on by either of us, as I pretty much just folow the list he gives me.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline topper

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:43:23 am »
Are there mantis records for the suspected bugs you listed? :)  I don't check the TLF mantis list myself, but Chris does.  If he doesn't see it there it's unlikely to be worked on by either of us, as I pretty much just folow the list he gives me.
My issue is that I am not sure they are all actual bugs, and some are matters of opinion.

I already have >30 open Mantis tickets, so I am sure you guys have plenty of stuff to work on.  ;)

If you want me to transfer them now, I would be happy to do it. But I am hoping to get a little feedback from others, before adding them to Mantis in a more coherent way.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:29 am »
I've put in a mantis report on gravity missiles being incredibly OP.  Playing on normal difficulty (at least for the first few hours) it's the insta I-win button. Got to the point where I could end combat in one turn if I just use them right off the bat. If that didn't work I would just move until there weren't debris in the way and fire again.

No idea how their balance is on harder difficulties or late game.

Offline topper

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:49:26 am »
I've put in a mantis report on gravity missiles being incredibly OP.  Playing on normal difficulty (at least for the first few hours) it's the insta I-win button. Got to the point where I could end combat in one turn if I just use them right off the bat. If that didn't work I would just move until there weren't debris in the way and fire again.

No idea how their balance is on harder difficulties or late game.
I agree that they are OP early in the game, but they are not unlockable for 18 years as of a recent patch iirc.

edit: Actually, they were nerfed because of you already  :P
Gravity Missiles are no longer unlockable until 18 years into the game (2 hours). By this point things have escalated to the point where they are a really welcome addition, rather than something that is a completely-OP one-shot-win sort of situation like in the early game.
Their ammo has also been reduced from 5 to 3.
Thanks to madcow for reporting
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:51:07 am by topper »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:30 am »
My issue is that I am not sure they are all actual bugs, and some are matters of opinion.
If you don't think it's a bug that's fine, but if it's obviously at odds with the in-game description or whatever then please report it.

I already have >30 open Mantis tickets, so I am sure you guys have plenty of stuff to work on.  ;)
I don't see all the reports, just the one Chris highlights for me.  It's possible that most of the ones you've reported are things he's taking himself, or he thinks don't need addressed pre-1.0.  Please let him do the triage :)

If you want me to transfer them now, I would be happy to do it. But I am hoping to get a little feedback from others, before adding them to Mantis in a more coherent way.
If you don't think it needs to be brought specifically to our attention yet that's fine, but if it's an actual bug please make sure it's in Mantis so Chris will see it :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:31:49 am »
Ooh. I didn't see I already got them nerfed. Must have missed it or it must be an unreleased fix. Well cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk