Author Topic: So what do Obscura look like?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
So what do Obscura look like?
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:22:07 am »
Its unknown in the game and I assume we will never see what they look like even when invasion mode is complete, so speculation?

Their icon kinda reminds me of a face so... Yeah no clue :p

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: So what do Obscura look like?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:22:40 am »
The icon is meant to be mostly emblematic, and something that the other races assign to the Obscura since they, too, have no idea exactly what the Obscura look like.  The main thing that we know about the Obscura is that they are a particle-based life-form.  Personally I imagine them looking like the cloud of nanobots in Prey by Michael Crichton, which could reform itself into a variety of shapes.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:10:13 am »
Huh, cool. BTW, are Obscura ever going to make an appearance again in another game?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:17:48 am »
Never say never!  They don't feel right for SBR to me, but they might actually fit well as one of the primary antagonists in Life at the End of the Universe, now that you mention it.  Huh.  I hadn't thought of that until now.  That's actually really interesting!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:31:57 am »
Aren't all life forms particle-based?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:51:19 am »
Sorry, I meant a collection of discrete semi-sentient particulate organisms.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:52:38 am »
wait life at the end of the universe? is that the new game from you guys I heard about on the great vine sometime ago?.
c.r

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:25:37 am »
Ah, good old grey goo.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:06:34 pm »
wait life at the end of the universe? is that the new game from you guys I heard about on the great vine sometime ago?.

Yep!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 01:24:49 pm »
Never say never!  They don't feel right for SBR to me, but they might actually fit well as one of the primary antagonists in Life at the End of the Universe, now that you mention it.  Huh.  I hadn't thought of that until now.  That's actually really interesting!
:o
*Pumpkin take a cold shower*

Semi-sentient particulate organisms, grey goo... Very interesting. I wanted to add the Vashta Nerada to this list (don't worry, I had to make some googling to find their name, I'm not that mad ;)).
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 01:27:05 pm »
Plot Twist: The Obscura is the AI from AI War.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:28:42 pm »
@Pumpkin: That sounds absolutely terrifying!  I read the article and... whoof. :)

@TheVampire100: Now you've said it so I can't do it. ;)  Interesting idea, though!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 01:40:28 pm »

Yep!
that sounds utterly bizarre incomprehensible and utterly ridicules  should be pretty awesome and ill be more than happy to offer up my testing services again provided your actually doing that again of course.
c.r

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
@Pumpkin: That sounds absolutely terrifying!  I read the article and... whoof. :)
Yeah, this series is an infinite well of ideas about SF.

@TheVampire100: Now you've said it so I can't do it. ;)
??? Why so?
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 02:39:49 am »
Awwman Vampire, you ruined best plot twist evar :(

(Seriously though, I'd find it interesting/cool if in game set years after AI Wars ai would still be around in some form. So many options how, but good thing you just reminded me that I can't say them aloud so that nobody gets in legal troubles :D)

Anyhoo, Life at end of the universe? Huh, hadn't heard about that, gotta search info now! :) (Addon after edit: There is forum section for it, its the game previously known as Airship Eternal)

BTW, I'm kinda wondering though. Are Obscura TLF "canon"? I mean, their presence in TLF means one race is always wiped out, so does that mean that normal campaign is TLF "canon" while Obscura still exist, but never invade the solar system?(would be cool to get game mode that is about-... Wait, am I allowed to say what game modes would be cool? D: Or does that only apply to plot ideas?)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:50:02 am by MaskityMask »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk