Author Topic: Sneak Peek: The Last Federation  (Read 18319 times)

Offline Histidine

Re: Sneak Peek: The Last Federation
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 12:13:22 pm »
Random question: Why is it the last federation?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:29 pm »
It's basically the government to end all governments and bring lasting peace. They think. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 01:13:34 pm »
Oh good, that absolutely never goes wrong.

(Prequel to AI wars then?)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 02:24:21 pm »
Haha.  It's a separate solar system to any used in AI War, but I suppose you could read it as a prequel to a number of alien races not yet encountered in AI War.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »
There is a separate gameplay mode entirely for during combat, and the realtime grand strategic bits pause while you are in the realtime combat.  This is actually the chief reason multiplayer wouldn't work here.  Combat is always 1v1 in terms of ships, although you control a small fleet.

Hmmmmmm... ;)

I don't aim to sway anything in development at the moment, but I'd love to see a more tactical approach to Weird Worlds' style of combat:

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 06:54:52 pm »
Never have played that one, but what we're doing is definitely very different. It's really fun and tense, and not something I've ever seen done before. We kind of invented it by accident in some ways.

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 08:34:42 pm »
Never have played that one, but what we're doing is definitely very different. It's really fun and tense, and not something I've ever seen done before. We kind of invented it by accident in some ways.

Argh! Now I'm really intrigued.  :D

When can we get access to this?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:11 pm »
Should be in November for those who want into the alpha!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 02:08:10 pm »
Oh good, that absolutely never goes wrong.
Which is good, because we definitely never make games where things go unexpectedly, dramatically, horribly wrong.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 02:08:47 pm »
We kind of invented it by accident in some ways.

If you won't tell us what it is yet, could you tell us what you were trying to do?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2013, 03:43:23 pm »
We kind of invented it by accident in some ways.

If you won't tell us what it is yet, could you tell us what you were trying to do?

Well, it's side view 1v1 ship combat.  We were trying to do that, and in particular model some things we liked from some other games.  Some recent, some not.  For a variety of reasons, the first models we tried really stunk.  We then sat down and writing out potential models, and an offhand comment from Keith about a monster from a fantasy game suddenly sparked a whole new model we never would have considered.  Completely unrelated to the earlier ones.

Vague enough?  Sorry about that, but I'd rather not mention any of the games in question, because I'd really rather this be taken on its own without that context.  The most core inspiration is not a connection I feel anyone is likely to make, and I don't want to encourage them to try.  Now that I just did.

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2013, 04:31:59 pm »
That certainly puts a few images in my mind, but I'll keep them there for now.  ;)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 06:57:36 am »
.....when did this happen?

I was away for a brief time and suddenly a game transforms into a whole different one???  Just.....  what.

Granted, indie devs in general do that every now and then. Or more often they'll have a game mechanic turn into a whole different one.   Ah, the benefits of not having a giant evil publisher of doom to work under.

Consider me entered, naturally.

Do I even really need to say that anymore at this point?

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 07:21:29 am »
.....when did this happen?

I was away for a brief time and suddenly a game transforms into a whole different one???  Just.....  what.

Granted, indie devs in general do that every now and then. Or more often they'll have a game mechanic turn into a whole different one.   Ah, the benefits of not having a giant evil publisher of doom to work under.

Consider me entered, naturally.

Do I even really need to say that anymore at this point?

Just to make it official, please send me a PM, so that I have all that stuff in one place.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 07:58:15 am »
Done and done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk