Author Topic: Sneak Peek: The Last Federation  (Read 18306 times)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Sneak Peek: The Last Federation
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:43:12 pm »
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around what this is after reading the description.  Sounds potentially pretty cool though.

Well, we don't want to get too specific, as the game is going to change a lot between now and alpha.

Offline Greifenstein

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 04:49:00 pm »
Quick question (maybe I just overlooked the info when i used the searched function, but whatever) - Is it possible to become alpha tester for this game and if that's so, how does one qualify / apply for it?

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »
I'll just go ahead and ask about how to join the Alpha. I feel the need to contribute a little  :D
And I will second this notion.

We're always keeping busy here at Arcen
I think twice the forums that existed here last october is a bit more than just busy ;)

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 05:24:01 pm »
You've got me intrigued Arcen!

Also, I can't help but bring back the old MST3K joke: "All right, fine, but this is the last Federation!"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:05:01 pm by doctorfrog »

Offline Breach

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
Looks very ambitious! I eagerly anticipate seeing how it develops.

Offline bytestream

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:38 pm »
Sounds promising, can't wait to learn more about it.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
Thanks folks. :)

To get on the alpha tester list, simply pm tigersfan. We'll have some questions for you about scheduling when the time gets closer, but you may as well just put your name in now.

This is a fairly focused project in the same sense that Bionic is, so rather than "ambitious" in the sense of Valley I would rather hope to see it as "tight and polished" like Bionic. So far heading that way. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:02 pm »
Is it sort of like an AI War lite?
I like the mention of customizable ships, diplomacy, research... pirates! :)

-Teal

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:44 pm »
Part of me hopes for some escape velocity inspiration here.

Another part says that's probably not quite what you're going for, and that I should just place SPAZ already if I want a more modern EV game ;)

It sounds neat though, and as much as I like the DF-esque inspired game (albeit set in space), that's a genre that has some heavy competition popping up so probably a good idea to change it. Not just starbase df-9 but also prison architect, clockwork empire, and maia. Of course only two of those have a sci-fi theme to them, but that's still a lot with the same obvious DF inspiration. Not that I think any of them will be out before mid 2014.

Offline Endless Rain

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 08:52:05 pm »
Will there be a public beta like with Valley 2, or just a private alpha like with Bionic Dues? (Why did BD go straight from alpha to release and skip beta completely?) I'd like to alpha/beta test The Last Federation, but I might be too busy alpha/beta testing Worlds of Magic, depending on the release date of the two alphas. I'll wait to PM tigersfan until it gets closer to the alpha release date. The game sounds really cool and I can't wait to play it :D.

P.S. How big will the game worlds be? You said "solar federation", so does this game take place in a single large solar system, kind of like Firefly's setting?

P.S.S. The game got featured on Space Game Junkie: http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/news/federation-arcen-games-incoming/

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 09:50:28 pm »
Will there be a public beta like with Valley 2, or just a private alpha like with Bionic Dues? (Why did BD go straight from alpha to release and skip beta completely?) I'd like to alpha/beta test The Last Federation, but I might be too busy alpha/beta testing Worlds of Magic, depending on the release date of the two alphas. I'll wait to PM tigersfan until it gets closer to the alpha release date. The game sounds really cool and I can't wait to play it :D.

P.S. How big will the game worlds be? You said "solar federation", so does this game take place in a single large solar system, kind of like Firefly's setting?

P.S.S. The game got featured on Space Game Junkie: http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/news/federation-arcen-games-incoming/

:)   Really cool seeing the game get some early attention, hope it just picks up speed from here.  :)

-Teal

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
  • WARNING: May Contain Objectionable Opinions
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 12:31:28 am »
Well, that was fast XD Sounds interesting. Keep up the great work, guys!
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Or is that "to kill"?  Hmm.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 12:49:23 am »
Wow, when do you guys sleep?  :o

This looks awesome! I can't wait to play it!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 07:27:05 am »
Whew, to the questions:

1. This really isn't like AI War at all. It is realtime, but it is not an RTS.

2. I think the games that are broadly similar to this will become clear when you see it, but EV nor AI War nor SPAZ are among them. I'd rather not start comparing the game to other games just yet, though, as that starts to set expectations certain ways, etc, etc.

3. It is indeed a solar system, right now with 8 planets and a few dozen space installations. The overall play area is not incredibly large in the sense of how you scroll around, but this is important because you have to react to things around the map, and your interactions with each planet are a lot more than cursory. Too many planets would be... incredibly overwhelming to manage.

4. Awesome on space game junky!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 10:22:46 am »
As already demonstrated, Arcen will have an wage in advertising this because Arcen already is on the among map for a successful space strategy game. So news of another one should help a lot.
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk