Author Topic: Seeecrit combat stuff coming!  (Read 5703 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Seeecrit combat stuff coming!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 01:14:51 pm »
Keith loves Space Rangers 2 and has been after me for years to play it.  I do need to get to that at some point.  I'm not sure if this combat will be similar to that or not; you guys will have to tell me when you see it. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 01:48:26 pm »
Sweeeet.  I am now at the point where this new WeGo turn-based stuff is fully fun for me.  It still needs balance work, and the GUI needs some doing.  But it's quick and it's tactical and there is no twitch involved in it at all.  You can play on normal speed and it goes a little slower than I really prefer personally, but on fast-forward mode it just zips along.  The slow-motion mode really lets you see everything in hoary detail, too, so it seems to be a nice balance.  The turn lengths that I've settled on are 2 seconds at the moment, which translates to I believe 1 second at fast forward.  If you know what you're doing, this definitely zips along and doesn't get in your way.  Or if you don't know what you're doing, there's not a rush in the world.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:37 pm »
Interestingly enough, Space Rangers 2 pretty much defines the concept of genre "identity crisis" in a computer game.
Yea, but it takes it all the way to the "I'm schizophrenic and we don't care" level.  I can't think of any other game in the last few years where I've had that much fun.

Though there are certainly things I would improve about it if I could.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 02:54:45 pm »
Loving the sound of this new combat model it sounds like it will fit the feel of the game much better. I tried both previous combat iterations and just couldn't get into them. Although I really enjoyed the solar map part of the game, I felt the change of pace in combat was quite jarring for this kind of game so thoughtful and tactical sounds much better.

Looking forward to trying it out when it's ready.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 03:01:24 pm »
Loving the sound of this new combat model it sounds like it will fit the feel of the game much better. I tried both previous combat iterations and just couldn't get into them. Although I really enjoyed the solar map part of the game, I felt the change of pace in combat was quite jarring for this kind of game so thoughtful and tactical sounds much better.

Tonight! :)

Offline Azurian

• Space is a beautiful place
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 03:40:08 pm »
I love that the combat is evolving to a Final Fantasy Tactics style and that you are using the existing 70‰ bullet hell code to make a possible new game later. I believe Tactics over Twitch fits this game better because I can perceive the core audience being more of chess player then shoot them up.

I think if you make a thread suggesting Dispatch missions with general guidelines the community can think of some great stuff.  For example :

Hypersense Scanner Array  ( Armada 2526)
Help the race launch a constellation of satellites to spy on other planets similar to the NSA. Warmonger races will lose favor with you,  but peaceful races will feel more secure that trade lanes  have higher surveillance.

Intersolar Olympics

Helios Speedway Tournament
A once a__ tournament  where the top pilots race an oval around the solar system to determine who is the fastest star racer in the system.

Asteroid  Enterprises  - help them tow asteroids to the planet and assist in mining laser technology

planetary Broadcasting Network - help build a media hive mind on planet the helps with public order because the people care more about reality TV then solar news
PLEASE REPORT FEEDBACK TO MANTIS IF YOU WANT THEM TO SEE IT!
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »

Tonight! :)

Yes!  :)

Will you post a brief vid?  Or pics?   I'm really looking forward to seeing this! 

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »
@articuno: Yep, there's a bunch of stuff we could do with the dispatches!  Right now for 1.0 we have to start shifting into polish mode sooner than later, so there's a limit to how much content is going to be targeted there.  I think there's a limit to how much is needed there.  But hopefully this game does well enough that post-1.0 we can do both some free new content and an expansion (at least one).  I honestly hope this takes off like AI War did, it really ought to if there is any justice. ;)

@Teal_Blue: Not sure if I will have time for that tonight, most likely not, but probably tomorrow. :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 03:47:02 pm »
Thanks anyway, just excited to see it, i can wait no problem. I really think this is going to be GREAT!!  :)

-T

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »
Will the 1,000,000 BP start issue be resolved in the next version?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:33 pm »
Yep, I think that was a debugging thing that got left in.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 05:11:54 pm »
I thought that might be the case it made things super easy  :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:46 pm »
Yeah, totally unintended!

Incidentally, I've finished putting in the controls and GUI bits for the new turn-based stuff, and I have to say it is really fun for me at least. :)  I like it on fast-forward, but that may partly be due to me not yet having adjusted the enemy ship balance up so that they are actually at all dangerous to you. ;)  That and a few other things are on my list for tonight before the release.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 06:09:52 pm »
This sounds really fun, I look forward to trying it out.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 07:08:05 pm »
I am so happy to read this massive text dump. You have basically solved the problem I was trying to point out in the "drox operative problem" thread a few weeks back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk