Author Topic: Seeecrit combat stuff coming!  (Read 5692 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Seeecrit combat stuff coming!
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:46:32 am »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that the combat is about to evolve in a major way.  I will have something to show you either tomorrow or within the next couple of days, but right now I am not ready to talk about combat at all anymore at the moment.  I think that everyone should be pretty excited about what will happen, though.

1. This will not divide the playerbase into playing two modes of the game.

2. We will not be requiring any twitch skills whatsoever.  This will not be mistaken for a SHMUP by anyone.

3. We still get the pretty pictures and space combat etc, based on our same engine we have now.  This is an evolution, not a replacement, in terms of the code and so forth.  Which is why we'll be able to do this so quickly, really.

Anyway, just to head off some of the existing discussions about all the stuff with the split combat modes, the issues of wanting to push the button yourself versus being contemplative, the worries over cross-balancing two modes, the identity crisis of the game, the "drox operative problem," etc, etc.  We're solving all those things in one swoop.  Keith and I both independently had the same stroke of inspiration this morning, and sent each other emails within 5 minutes of one another saying essentially the same thing, which is really hilarious.  He and I have really different tastes, so it's one of those things that is just apparently "meant to be." ;)

Stay tuned!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hyfrydle

Re: Seeecrit combat stuff coming!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »
Love the sound of this I also had an idea this morning concerning the combat will be interesting to see if it's similar  :)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »
I think, without knowing exactly what the solution will be, this may be a good choice.

Making the action mode into "a silly thing people do as a diversion from the actual game" didn't seem like a very appealing idea to me. If I don't need to use it, I'm not going to use it. It's very similar in that way, perhaps, to the AI War Champion plot, which I think most people agreed ended up being very repetitive and somewhat pointless, so in the end hasn't been used by most people.

I was actually a bit disappointed when I first found out the "combat mode" went from RTS army management style to a single ship. In doing so you removed an unquantifiable amount of depth from it, turning it from a potentially interesting, dynamic and challenging RTS experience into a quasi-SHMUP - an unfortunate turn of events in my opinion.

I'll be interested to see what you guys have in store.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:31:24 pm »
The RTS thing actually lacked tactical depth, which was why we made the changes we did.  That actually added more depth, believe it or not.  But not the right kind, ultimately, for the game.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:38:59 pm »
Has anyone played Qvadriga it's a simulation of roman chariot racing and the actual races have a turn based mode were all the turns are then carried out simultaneously so the player chooses the action then watches the results which can be good or bad dependant on what the ai chooses to do.

This same idea may work well for space combat perhaps with an increase in the choices available each turn.

Here is a link to the game it also has a demo:

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/games/Qvadriga_pc

Very cool game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:56:26 pm by Hyfrydle »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 12:43:18 pm »
Haven't played it, but you're not far off.

Offline Hyfrydle

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 12:45:54 pm »
Is it okay to add a link it's well worth a look?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:46:11 pm »
Link away!

Offline Kingpin23

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 01:01:55 pm »
I really liked how the combat played out in the videos iv seen.

Hope these new changes dont change too much of it before I had a change to play it myself.
Unlike some of you I really enjoy playing the RTS parts of Total War.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »
Ooh, secretive!

Sounds like you came up with something interesting. Can't wait to see what it is! :)

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 01:15:54 pm »
I love how things evolve. Looking forward to seeing more on this.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 01:26:28 pm »
Welp, this was easy, on a basic level.  The general stuff is now in and works, and on a fundamental has the potential to be fun.  There's balance stuff all over the place that needs doing, but within about an hour of coding this got into the realm of refining something that at core works for me, versus building up a big framework.  That was surprisingly quick! :)

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 01:33:50 pm »
So will you be letting new people into the beta when this comes out? :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »
Yup!  Probably late Monday, at this rate.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »
Glad to see you guys thinking big and addressing some of the  more foundational design issues with some big (but implementable) ideas.  Looking forward to testing this out since my favorite part of the game has always been the combat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk