Author Topic: Scott Manley plays The Last Federation  (Read 5071 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Scott Manley plays The Last Federation
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »
STILL HERE! Albeit a fair bit more lurky than I used to be. Real life has kinda caught up with me and other games are keeping me busy. But Arcen is kinda like a second home. Will probably never leave it.

It threw me for a bit when you changed your forum account name, but then I recognized you after a bit.  Near as I can tell you are Echo35, right?  My wife and I played part of a round of Left 4 Dead 1 with you when we basically had no idea what we were doing yet. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 08:13:30 am »
STILL HERE! Albeit a fair bit more lurky than I used to be. Real life has kinda caught up with me and other games are keeping me busy. But Arcen is kinda like a second home. Will probably never leave it.

It threw me for a bit when you changed your forum account name, but then I recognized you after a bit.  Near as I can tell you are Echo35, right?  My wife and I played part of a round of Left 4 Dead 1 with you when we basically had no idea what we were doing yet. ;)
Nice try, but no ^^ I'm the awesome swedish fellow formely known as Moonshine Fox. ^^ (AKA "the guy that loses his shit and goes bananas when instakilled by exploding barrels" *cough*)
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 08:34:53 am »
Oh jeez, you guys confuse me!  Both of you changed your forum names IIRC, and I could never remember which changed it to which.

It's like you each got married or something, but changed your first name as well. ;)

And nice to meet another Swede!  Not that I'm one, but Cath who works with us is. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 11:29:55 am »
This video by Scott Manley actually brought me back to TLF. I had played it back in its early stages and got turned off by the rather terrible combat and the information overload that is so common out of Arcen titles, along with Real Life getting in the way.

But I saw this video (as I watch him regularly) and was instantly drawn to fire the game up again. Turn based bullet hell? Sign me up! I am one of the resident Touhou fans here after all.

So, ensign when the clock hit one am last night and I still couldn't sleep I got up and began the game.

Wow was it awesome. And one of the key things that I find even better than the massively improved combat is the tutorial. I knew the Arcen information overload was a problem but did not know how to fix it. You figured it out. The gradual reveal of information and options is exactly what I needed to understand things.

As I said on Twitter, this game makes me want to keep playing just a few more minutes more than any Civilization game ever did. It wasn't until four am that I finally put the game down and went to sleep. :)

I only regret that I got my copy of TLF free because I was in the beta. That's easy to fix though. I'll just buy it for a friend... or three. ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 11:40:49 am »
Thanks man!  So glad that you're into it more now -- it was a long and grueling beta for sure, and there was a ton that changed during it.  And then yet more since 2.0, as well. :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »
But I saw this video (as I watch him regularly) and was instantly drawn to fire the game up again. Turn based bullet hell? Sign me up! I am one of the resident Touhou fans here after all.

Whoa, I'm not the only one here that's into that sort then!  Though I personally prefer Cave's stuff and similar styled shmups over Touhou, but all of it is pretty good, really....  Cave's design style though is what influenced the patterns of the new ships in the expansion, particularly the Obscura (and the Burlust's new warlord fight, which I think is in the base game without the expansion now).

Though I used more colors for the patterns than what Cave's usual is... they tend to just drown the screen in purple or something like that and then say it's colorful enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk