Author Topic: Orbital Bombardment OP?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Mahboii

• Newbie Mark II
Orbital Bombardment OP?
« on: March 19, 2015, 01:06:03 am »
I just finished my first game, Federation mode on Hard, and found it easy. One of the main reasons being the roflstomping overpoweredness of orbital bombardment. Destroying a building a day? Plus several million defenders? Instead of being the puppetmaster behind the scenes, this makes you into the hand of God, that can crush any planetary defense within a year. There's also the moral implications of indiscriminately killing civilians. And finally, it's unfair to races like Boarines. I hope this is one of the things seriously considered for the next patch. It should either be way weaker, or maybe it should work in tandem with a strong racial invasion force, or it should at least have very serious backlash when used on a race that isn't a full warrior culture.

Offline steelwing

Re: Orbital Bombardment OP?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:11:40 am »
I just finished my first game, Federation mode on Hard, and found it easy. One of the main reasons being the roflstomping overpoweredness of orbital bombardment. Destroying a building a day? Plus several million defenders? Instead of being the puppetmaster behind the scenes, this makes you into the hand of God, that can crush any planetary defense within a year. There's also the moral implications of indiscriminately killing civilians. And finally, it's unfair to races like Boarines. I hope this is one of the things seriously considered for the next patch. It should either be way weaker, or maybe it should work in tandem with a strong racial invasion force, or it should at least have very serious backlash when used on a race that isn't a full warrior culture.
??? How much RCI tanking did you have to do?  Orbital bombing's certainly a major factor, but I usually have to screw up the race's medical establishment before it really shows its effects.

Offline Mahboii

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:04 pm »
Come to think of it, the races I bombed happened to have a really terrible medical score.

Offline steelwing

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:59:20 pm »
Come to think of it, the races I bombed happened to have a really terrible medical score.
That would do it.  Bombardment's not really cost-effective unless you've done at least something to seriously lower Medical RCI.  Against the Thoraxians, you have to hit both Medical and Environmental, usually below -150.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 03:41:06 pm »
That would do it.  Bombardment's not really cost-effective unless you've done at least something to seriously lower Medical RCI. Against the Thoraxians, you have to hit both Medical and Environmental, usually below -150.
Or you could assassinate the Hive Queen.  ;D

Offline steelwing

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:30:45 am »
Or you could assassinate the Hive Queen.  ;D
That works, too, as long you don't mind losing any chance of ever being able to work with the Thoraxians again. :P  The influence hit is generally irrecoverable.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 12:18:34 pm »
In my experience i would also say that orbital bombardment is op, I think they should nerf orbital bombardment but buff the orbital bombardment of the races (that and make skylaxians able to bomb, their ground troops completely fail against Burlusts and Thoraxians). Also I tend not to kill the hive queen because the yearly assasins are hard and annoying.
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk