Author Topic: Marketing and awareness thread  (Read 10551 times)

Offline P3X-639

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Marketing and awareness thread
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 07:54:26 pm »
I'm OK with the $20. I do understand other peoples worries; I kind of had it the same gut reaction, but I also think that your reasoning about sales and discounts later is valid. At the very least, you get first hand data and a better view on pricing for the future. Knowledge is power and what not.

Also, not sure if it's too late to recommend Youtubers, but I can think of a few ones that would likely at least cover it a bit and are pretty fair and open to strategy games if you're still interested.

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 09:47:40 pm »
Also, not sure if it's too late to recommend Youtubers, but I can think of a few ones that would likely at least cover it a bit and are pretty fair and open to strategy games if you're still interested.

Absolutely, especially if they have any readily available contact info (directly messaging to YouTube accounts tends not to work very well).

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 11:43:20 pm »

Absolutely, especially if they have any readily available contact info (directly messaging to YouTube accounts tends not to work very well).
I'm a little partial to Twitch.tv, but that's just because of what happened when a certain Youtube mafia didn't like my refusal to join, and screwed with me.  Youtube would do nothing about the irrelavent strikes against my account despite the developers saying it wasn't them.  Plus chat is so much better on Twitch.tv, not as much lag, and no Google+ needed.

Edit:  Oh yeah, and the longstanding issue of watching long youtube videos crashing flash.  They never fixed that and it's obnoxious.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:45:44 pm by Chthon »

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:08 pm »
Yeah, if you do a substantial release discount like that then I think you can pull it off. The game's definitely worth the twenty bucks, so whatever you can do to get the most people to pay it is all that matters to me.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Volkira

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 02:53:12 am »
Don't do pay per click advertising.

As you don't know who is clicking and rumours suggest there are autobot clickers that eat away at your pay per click budget.

One of the most important things about marketing is being where the crowd is.(Steam,GOG)

Being on steam as you are is already a huge boost for potential sales.GoG would be another good place to be.

After that make sure your on the most popular Social media sites.

I don't think today with digital distribution you need to spend any money in print media.

Most gamers will browse online to get reviews and opinions.

The other important thing is first impressions of the product.So any online gaming media outlets that view the game must go away feeling great about it.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 02:25:29 pm »
Banished is $20 on Steam, and it sold extremely well.

So, it's not like the price point can't work.

Offline P3X-639

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:29:22 pm »
OK cool. I looked through the forums you linked and didn't see these guys (unless I missed a thread or page).

Northernlion: https://www.youtube.com/user/Northernlion/about
Northernlion does a lot of indie game spotlights . I'm very confident he'd cover it at the very least. He's done Let's Plays of different eclectic games so there's a decent chance I'd say of a possible full Let's Play of it if it grabs him. Decent following, similar to Force, often pulls 30k views.

This is a bit out of left field, but HuskyStarcraft has a second non-Starcraft channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/husky/videos
He does mostly Blizzard stuff there, but he has also spotlighted smaller games like Pixel Piracy and Running with Rifles recently so I'd say it's worth pursing. His main channel says: "BUSINESS EMAIL: [email protected]" Not sure if that's where you should approach or not but I figure I'd mention it.

Arumba: https://www.youtube.com/user/arumba07/about
He does mostly Paradox Grand Strategy but he's recently said he would like branching out into doing quick looks at other games. The simulation game aspect of TLF might tickle his fancy in the same way CK2 and EU4 do. He is critical and often will give feedback bluntly but he's also fair. However, he hasn't really started doing the quick looks yet so it's a bit hard to say for sure he'd do it. Still, I'd take a shot. I think there is a pretty good chance he'd enjoy TLF.

Lastly I'd say XPGamers: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheXPGamers/about
This one I'm a bit iffy. I've really only recently just found this guy; though I do like what I've seen so far. He's really huge into modding, but he also does cover games in general. Again, honestly I'm not as sure about this one as the other three. He has the smallest following of the four, but that following does seem pretty core and open to a variety of things. Might have a pretty good view-to-sale turnover. But that is just complete and utter wild speculation on my part. Take with plenty of salt.

Hope this post helps you guys out. Looking forward to Friday. :D

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 02:40:20 pm »
I had NorthernLion down (he's covered us in the past), and have already reached out to him. I wasn't aware of the other three, thanks for the tips!

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 06:08:06 am »
Just updated the initial post to show the game's GOG link. Yes, the game is now officially on sale. :D I'll be posting something more official shortly.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:44 am »
Game is suddenly showing 7 hours remaining on Steam.  This would place it at 4PM EST.  Is this correct, or is steam goofing up on the unlock time which they have been known to do in the past?

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »
That is the time we scheduled (actually check that, I believe the launch time is 5 PM EST), but what do you mean by suddenly? The Steam page been counting down the hours to release for about a week now. Did it leap forward or backwards several hours?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:18:53 pm by cupogoodness »

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 12:19:44 pm »
That is the time we scheduled (actually check that, I believe the launch time is 5 PM EST), but what do you mean by suddenly? The Steam page been counting down the hours to release for about a week now. Did it leap forward or backwards several hours?

It says 4 hours left to launch on my steam page. I'm presuming that's correct?

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 12:26:44 pm »
4.5 hours to be more precise.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »
You seem to be focusing mainly on Youtube, perhaps you should also contact some Twitch.tv personalities as well.  There are many that have thousands of viewers a night and can really get the word out.

Tornis:  A Russian speaking gamer who loves strategy and role playing games.  (He also speaks decent English.)
Lethalfrag:  One of the first Twitch big names.  He also plays a variety of games, and may be interested in this.
Tehmorag:  Does not mind failing at hard games, or putting in the time to get good at them.

Just some ideas up there.  I too will be streaming this, but I'm nowhere near a major name on twitch, I just stream to have fun with friends.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk