Author Topic: Mini-games?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Mini-games?
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:56:11 pm »
I was going to write a rant about mini-games ultimately dilute the value of a strategic game in many way (either they inflate the player's strength and thus are a positive handicap, or they are an annoying stick and thus not fun) but I'd thought to ask exactly how they work first.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Mini-games?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:29:22 pm »
I think the only "minigame" the devs have mentioned as far as I can recall is the actual battles (which they mentioned maybe having auto-resolve similar to total war). There aren't any actual minigames as far as I've seen mentioned, it was just a term I threw out when asking about smuggling for lack of a better term to use.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 02:34:15 am »
I think the only "minigame" the devs have mentioned as far as I can recall is the actual battles (which they mentioned maybe having auto-resolve similar to total war). There aren't any actual minigames as far as I've seen mentioned, it was just a term I threw out when asking about smuggling for lack of a better term to use.

That reminds me, I should mention "mini-game" implies many separate events that wildly differ that player interaction, as opposed to the standard "combat" phase of many games. In other words, if the game is "two-phased" as very many 4x and strategy games "a strategic engine vs a tactical one" then I don't consider the tactical game a minigame at all. (In fact, in generic terms, its so par to the course I expected something unusual when I heard minigame.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:48:32 am by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:42 am »
Yeah, it's just the combat tactical battles and then the overall strategic stuff. I have considered doing some other forms of minigames just as a fun diversion at some point (well past 1.0), but those would be in the spirit of increasing the sandboxiness/feeling-of-you-can-do-anything. That's a long way off, though, and you raise some good points on it. Might well never happen, Nd even of it did they would be options that could be enabled/disabled (aka how if you hate a minor faction in AI War, you just don't turn it on).

So no worries!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk