Author Topic: First impressions..  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
First impressions..
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:17:14 pm »
Sat down for only 20 minutes to start off with. Firstly, the good stuff:

Presentation-wise, this is the best looking Arcen game so far. Everything looks quite slick and futuristic. Some thrusters on the title screen spaceships would be nice, though, at the moment they just look like cardboard cut-outs.

Minor quibble. Some sound effects on the menus select buttons would be cool.

Major annoyance. I got completely paralyzed and even a bit pissed-off once in the game proper (the combat bit). I just didn't seem to have a clue what to do. I wanted to just escape without engaging the enemy and couldn't figure out how to do it. I then looked at the amount of turns left, which was 112 or something, and pretty much just gave up there and then. Quit the game.

... now, I'm putting a lot of this down to me just being derpy and in a slightly impatient mood, but I still wanted to get my raw feelings out there. This definitely doesn't seem like an easy to get into game. I'll play some more, and try to be more patient.

Oh. Not much you can do about this I guess, but the individual music pieces seem a bit short. Seemed like they were constantly switching to a new song.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: First impressions..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:59:45 pm »
Did you read the intro bits?  You stole a prototype flagship and are being chased.  You need to get away ;)

Easiest way to get away is to kill your pursuers.  It's just the thing to do.  They aren't going to hate you less  >D
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:23:40 pm »
Did you read the intro bits?  You stole a prototype flagship and are being chased.  You need to get away ;)

Easiest way to get away is to kill your pursuers.  It's just the thing to do.  They aren't going to hate you less  >D

Absolutely. Maybe I skimmed and missed something, but I was under the impression that escaping (without destroying the enemy) was a viable option. If the text had said "destroy these guys now" I would have concentrated more on that, and maybe got less frustrated. Just posting up my initial experience, which was one of annoyance followed by frustration quit. I'll try to think about what exactly caused me these frustrations, so as to provide more useful feedback.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:19 pm »
Your experience matched mine. I wanted to escape without fighting and got frustrated by the absurd number of turns I would have to click through. 120 might as well be 120000000.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:36:05 pm »
Mkay, just looked at the intro again and can understand where you're coming from.

The wording in the "First Encounter" window also leads you to believe you can escape (120 turns is way to long to wait for a withdraw option).

If you look at the TT for the withdraw button, it says the enemy has you trapped.  Having to fight to get way is implied (I think it is typical phrasing in TBS games).

If anything, the language in the "First Encounter" window should give you your mission objective, in this case, eliminate all enemy ships.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:54:52 pm »
Previously it was like 4 minutes.  Or may 2, I forget.  It's probable that during the conversion to turn-based that the number was simply translated (2 second turns, at the time) rather than rebalanced specifically with this experience in mind.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:00:13 pm »
Previously it was like 4 minutes.  Or may 2, I forget.  It's probable that during the conversion to turn-based that the number was simply translated (2 second turns, at the time) rather than rebalanced specifically with this experience in mind.

4 minutes fits.

30 turns per minute x 4 = 120, which is where it is XD

Edit: For me, on normal, it takes about 10 turns to kill both ships (focusing on them). 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:03:18 pm by Cinth »

Offline Kingpin23

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:10:10 pm »
To prevent this from happening to others its maybe a good idea to make the first mission a oversimplified
Scripted tutorial mission. Learn how to move the ship and wich weapons to use with not to much text and all that.

A very straight forward tutorial so a reviewer or 10 year old would say wow that was easy.
And ofcourse an option to turn that off.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:51:37 pm »
If you do a quick start, the idea is that it would take you into a simplified mode, yeah.  I can see why the wording there is unclear.  Part of the problem is that I actually do intend to have non-combat ways of resolving the intro mission, and even have that designed, but it's not coded in yet!  So there is that, heh.

And in general, there is going to be a mission objectives display at the top of the screen that is super explicit and brief ("6 remaining flagships to kill" or "3 pirate bases to kill" or "one orbital science lab to dock with" etc).  Keith has coded that general thing in as of several weeks ago, but I have not had time to make it pretty, or to actually get the specific logic for each mission type in there so that it tells you the correct things.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 08:07:08 pm »
And in general, there is going to be a mission objectives display at the top of the screen that is super explicit and brief ("6 remaining flagships to kill" or "3 pirate bases to kill" or "one orbital science lab to dock with" etc).  Keith has coded that general thing in as of several weeks ago, but I have not had time to make it pretty, or to actually get the specific logic for each mission type in there so that it tells you the correct things.
I remember you telling me before :)  Gotta harp on things sometimes  :P

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »
Oh, please do!  If I don't hear about something repeatedly, sometimes it gets forgotten.  I don't take offense in the slightest to people saying something to me more than once if it hasn't been done yet and it's something I had even a possibility of doing.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »
Oh, please do!  If I don't hear about something repeatedly, sometimes it gets forgotten.  I don't take offense in the slightest to people saying something to me more than once if it hasn't been done yet and it's something I had even a possibility of doing.

I've been here for awhile now, bossman! 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »
Hahaha, yeah, I'm sure you've noticed. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk