Author Topic: First Impressions 0.816  (Read 961 times)

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
First Impressions 0.816
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:47:53 am »
I have been really, really trying to not read anything at all about this game, but I failed a few times. Coming into this I know the basic premise and transition from real time action to turn based. I never did watch a video (I clicked on one once, but stopped ;) )

Into music is really great! I do the quick start, and end up in combat. I know there isn't a tutorial yet, so I'll try to keep track of what confuses me. 

The first thing I am asked to do is move, and the long blue line of arrows seems really intuitive. It moves with my mouse and feels like a trajectory. I see I have a series of abilities that take ammo, but it's a lot of things, so I ignore them. Does this first into mission need so many weapons?

I try to use one of the ammo abilities, and it skips my movement phase. Is it intended that I can't use them and move at the same time?

When I click a location I am asked to select a target. I would then click a ship right away and go.  I didn't realize until maybe turn 5 or 6 that, after selecting a move, the weapon display changed from my limited abilities to different "basic" weapons. I didn't know I had them, and it would have helped with the first shielded ship.

First place I go in the solar system view is to the Andors. I decide to smuggle  spacefaring tech to them, because, well, who knows. It's on the way to the black market, and it sounds fun. I see the big red glowy things, and I know I don't want them to see me. I plot a course between them and click, yet now I have to pick a target? I try just double clicking, doesn't work. I right click, and that just lets me reselect my trajectory.

I try pressing space. I don't know why, but I do. It just "pauses" the game, but nothing really happens. The red radar keeps spinning on the Spy Probes. I try Fast Forward, and pressing "S" like it says under Target Ships, but that doesn't confirm the "no target" I have.

Takes me about 30 seconds to find the firing directives above the tool tip section. I see "Hold Fire" and I press Q. The spy probes instantaneously begin to spew all sorts of things at me. I barely started! And the trajectory was well away from them.  I keep flying without firing, which means I have to keep pressing Q. For some reason, my finger keeps hitting space, which just gets more confusing.

I just beeline for the target, drop off the documents, and it says I am Withdrawing. That's different from the first mission, where it just took me away all at once. It says I have 4 turns left, but it keeps changing to 5. It took me about 7 or 8 turns to read the full "Preparing to Withdraw, Sir" tooptip and get to the part that mentions the delay on damage. So I then realize I need to escape for real.

I surprise myself and, what i thought would be almost impossible, is actually quite straight forward!. Dodging the incoming fire is really, really fun. Planning ahead the moves with the guns on autofire just feels right. Only thing I might want is a midpoint or something on the line, like the Bézier curve tool.  Maybe that's asking too much. As is, this is really fun.

I find myself working towards one side of the map, and I keep slowing down. Since I am not actively panning, I realize I am no longer make a full length trajectory line. I need to move the mouse twice as far away from my ship as I want the line to go. ( I am running windowed, 1920x1200) Pressing 'H' to recenter helps a lot here. Holding it down makes the camera follow my ship, which is nice. Maybe a toggle? Or auto center when the turn restarts?

Turns out whatever happened in that level didn't reduce my influence with anyone. I guess all that laser fire was just a welcoming party from the Andors? Like fireworks!

At the black market, it loads a background image. I realize these always come up as pure black, and take about 2-5 seconds to load the graphical background. Is that just something about my system? The background music goes to silence for a second or two between tracks.

I don't have more time tonight to play, but I will again tomorrow! The space combat is really fun. I'm excited. At first glance, it appears to have a ton of depth.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: First Impressions 0.816
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:55:52 am »
I have been really, really trying to not read anything at all about this game, but I failed a few times. Coming into this I know the basic premise and transition from real time action to turn based. I never did watch a video (I clicked on one once, but stopped ;) )

Thank you!  That is super useful. :)

The first thing I am asked to do is move, and the long blue line of arrows seems really intuitive. It moves with my mouse and feels like a trajectory. I see I have a series of abilities that take ammo, but it's a lot of things, so I ignore them. Does this first into mission need so many weapons?

Not really, but I worry that if players don't see all their various options from the start, they start feeling like it is shallower than it is.

I try to use one of the ammo abilities, and it skips my movement phase. Is it intended that I can't use them and move at the same time?

* In the header for the direct-use abilities, it now says "Use and skip turn" as the prefix.  This is something to help people prevent getting surprised that it doesn't let them move and use an ability at the same time.

Thanks!

When I click a location I am asked to select a target. I would then click a ship right away and go.  I didn't realize until maybe turn 5 or 6 that, after selecting a move, the weapon display changed from my limited abilities to different "basic" weapons. I didn't know I had them, and it would have helped with the first shielded ship.

* When you enter combat mode, it now does a quick highlight-in of the weapon buttons as well as the attack-mode buttons, to make it more obvious that things have changed there.  Even if the player doesn't notice the very first time that they switch into attack modes, that motion will quickly automatically teach them to check out those other attack options, including the fact that they have multiple guns, etc.

Thanks!

Takes me about 30 seconds to find the firing directives above the tool tip section. I see "Hold Fire" and I press Q. The spy probes instantaneously begin to spew all sorts of things at me. I barely started! And the trajectory was well away from them.  I keep flying without firing, which means I have to keep pressing Q. For some reason, my finger keeps hitting space, which just gets more confusing.

Not sure what to do about the spacebar thing, but the flashing thing noted above should also help you find the alternate firing modes.

I just beeline for the target, drop off the documents, and it says I am Withdrawing. That's different from the first mission, where it just took me away all at once. It says I have 4 turns left, but it keeps changing to 5. It took me about 7 or 8 turns to read the full "Preparing to Withdraw, Sir" tooptip and get to the part that mentions the delay on damage. So I then realize I need to escape for real.

Added a note for myself for soon: add popups on your ship whenever time is added to your withdraw timer.

I surprise myself and, what i thought would be almost impossible, is actually quite straight forward!. Dodging the incoming fire is really, really fun. Planning ahead the moves with the guns on autofire just feels right. Only thing I might want is a midpoint or something on the line, like the Bézier curve tool.  Maybe that's asking too much. As is, this is really fun.

Awesome!  And yeah, waypoints are coming soon.

I find myself working towards one side of the map, and I keep slowing down. Since I am not actively panning, I realize I am no longer make a full length trajectory line. I need to move the mouse twice as far away from my ship as I want the line to go. ( I am running windowed, 1920x1200) Pressing 'H' to recenter helps a lot here. Holding it down makes the camera follow my ship, which is nice. Maybe a toggle? Or auto center when the turn restarts?

Typically people really get annoyed when it recenters.  Just a matter of zooming out, really.

Turns out whatever happened in that level didn't reduce my influence with anyone. I guess all that laser fire was just a welcoming party from the Andors? Like fireworks!

That sounds like a bug.  Can you load it to mantis?  If you have a save with a partial repro, or just steps for us to repro, that would be great.

At the black market, it loads a background image. I realize these always come up as pure black, and take about 2-5 seconds to load the graphical background. Is that just something about my system? The background music goes to silence for a second or two between tracks.

Sounds like your hard drive is pretty busy, and loading things slower than I would expect.  I have a 7200RPM drive and it doesn't do that.  At any rate, it's the expected thing to happen if for whatever reason the hard drive is slow in giving you the data the game wants.  So for whatever reason that is happening on your system, the game is responding correctly at least.

I don't have more time tonight to play, but I will again tomorrow! The space combat is really fun. I'm excited. At first glance, it appears to have a ton of depth.

Awesome! :D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk