Author Topic: Weird gun issue  (Read 2846 times)

Offline MuckingFuffins

Weird gun issue
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:21 pm »
Well, I just started playing Starward Rogue, and I noticed something that was really annoying.

When standing too close to any wall or object, your gun (no matter what gun it is) will just not fire. It's because the gun is off-center from the character, and so the gun is actually in the wall, preventing it from shooting (actually the bullets probably just instantly hit the wall/object and disappear).

Now I can see why and how this was programmed just by observing it, but I've found it really annoying, as sometimes you have to run through little mazes to find/kill enemies, and it's frustrating when you can't fire your gun just because you're walking against a wall.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Weird gun issue
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »
Well, I just started playing Starward Rogue, and I noticed something that was really annoying.

When standing too close to any wall or object, your gun (no matter what gun it is) will just not fire. It's because the gun is off-center from the character, and so the gun is actually in the wall, preventing it from shooting (actually the bullets probably just instantly hit the wall/object and disappear).

Now I can see why and how this was programmed just by observing it, but I've found it really annoying, as sometimes you have to run through little mazes to find/kill enemies, and it's frustrating when you can't fire your gun just because you're walking against a wall.

Yeah, this is an annoyance that I'm not sure we can fix completely. I think that if you're standing completely flush to a wall, the shots will always be blocked by the wall. However, in the latest internal build I've been experimenting with adding -8 wall_collision_reduction to all shots in the game, and so far, after a few weeks of testing, I haven't noticed any problems caused by it. This will not completely eliminate the problem, but it should help a fair bit, especially in maze style rooms. This will mean that you can get that bit closer to walls without the shot being blocked. I'm still testing, but it seems to help, and I might try looking into pushing the wall_collision_reduction up even further. So, yeah, we don't have a complete fix for this in the next build, but we do have some changes that should at least reduce the problem.

Offline MuckingFuffins

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:26:43 pm »
Cool. Glad to see you've already come across it.

I've only played a few games, but that seems to be my only issue with the game. Good game, so far.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:34:27 pm »
Cool. Glad to see you've already come across it.

I've only played a few games, but that seems to be my only issue with the game. Good game, so far.

Thanks! I'm glad your enjoying the game so far. Oh, if anybody wants to experiment with the new wall_collision_reduction changes, I've uploaded the new bullets xml. The changes will be most noticeable on non-starting weapons, as the starting weapons already had some wall_collision_reduction. Just replace your CMP_Bullets file in StarwardRogue\RuntimeData\Configuration\GameEntity with this new one. You might want to make a backup of your old file first, just in case, though. Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:39:40 pm by Pepisolo »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk