Author Topic: Tying shooting to moving?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Frumple

• Newbie Mark III
Tying shooting to moving?
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:11:28 pm »
Kinda' cross-posted from the steam discussion (remembered my password for arcen shortly thereafter, heh), and not sure if this should go here or in the modding section, but considering it'll hopefully just take fiddling with some keybinding file or another, this is possibly the right spot.

What I want to do is make it so when the mech moves, it fires its main gun.* Somewhat ideally, it would be to assign four keyboard buttons (the same ones assigned to movement) to firing instead of at-most two, so as to be easier to turn it off if for some reason I wanted to disable the effect for a room or two. I've tried messing with the inputbindings.dat/bak thing, but can't seem to get it to stick (it reverts on loading the game), and can't puzzle out anything else to try. The best I've managed is using the keyboard/alt keyboard to tie two directions to the main gun, but, well. There's four directions.

Is there a way to do this? Without turning to third party programs, at least. It did just hit me something could probably be managed with a program like autohotkey or somethin'.

*If anyone's curious why, it's because it would make playing redshift a lot easier for me. It's possible-ish by just holding the fire button when (and only when) you move, but that's both distracting and rather easy to overshoot, so to speak. I don't want to have to think about it while I'm threading a glowing needle of bullets, and I both don't want to stop shooting and don't want to keep shooting while I'm stopping for a second to figure out which direction to go.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: Tying shooting to moving?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 05:19:50 pm »
Responding here and on the Steam forums:

You can do it by having the Fire Up set to Move Up's key and do that for all the fire directions (Up down left right). You can then map more alternatives if you need/want to.

Spoiler for inputbinding.dat for latest beta:
KeyBindingV3:None|None|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:TakeScreenshot|F12|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:MarkAllLocalMessagesAsNew|BackQuote|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug|F3|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:DebugNetwork|F2|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:StartStopPerFrameDebugger|F10|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:NextFrameInPerFrameDebugger|F11|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_MoveUp_UKB1|W|UpArrow|None|None|None|LeftStickUp
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_MoveLeft_UKB1|A|LeftArrow|None|None|None|LeftStickLeft
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_MoveRight_UKB1|D|RightArrow|None|None|None|LeftStickRight
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_MoveDown_UKB1|S|DownArrow|None|None|None|LeftStickDown
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_AltUp_UKB1|None|None|None|None|None|DPadUp
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_AltLeft_UKB1|None|None|None|None|None|DPadLeft
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_AltRight_UKB1|None|None|None|None|None|DPadRight
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_AltDown_UKB1|None|None|None|None|None|DPadDown
KeyBindingV3:Ingame_ConfirmOrAction_UKB1|Return|KeypadEnter|None|None|None|Action1
KeyBindingV3:Cancel|Escape|None|None|None|Mouse1|Action2
KeyBindingV3:OpenChatPopup_UKB4|T|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:DebugReloadLanguageFiles|F5|None|LeftControl|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:DebugReloadImageFiles|F6|None|LeftControl|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:OpenDebugMenu|L|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:HoldToChangeLeftClickIntoMiddleClick_UKB1|LeftControl|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:DebugDoMemoryProfilingSample|F13|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:DebugReloadXMLFiles|F4|None|LeftControl|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:DebugClearGraphicalEffects|None|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_IncrementKerningX|Equals|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_IncrementKerningY|Equals|None|LeftShift|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_DecrementKerningX|Minus|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_DecrementKerningY|Minus|None|LeftShift|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_IncrementKerningMode_UKB1|RightBracket|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_DecrementKerningMode_UKB1|LeftBracket|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_DumpKerning|Backslash|None|LeftControl|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_DumpIndirectSpriteBatches|Delete|None|LeftControl|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:Debug_ToggleContinuousKerning_UKB1|Backslash|None|LeftAlt|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:ToggleGUI|None|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:SwapLeftAndRightMouseButtons|None|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:OpenMenu_UKB3|Escape|None|None|None|None|Menu
KeyBindingV3:ToggleDebugRanges|F7|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:InteractOrPickUpItem_UKB2|E|None|None|None|None|LeftBumper
KeyBindingV3:Sprint_UKB3|LeftShift|None|None|None|None|LeftTrigger
KeyBindingV3:WalkSlow_UKB3|LeftControl|C|None|None|None|LeftStickButton
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireUp_UKB3|W|None|None|None|None|RightStickUp
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireLeft_UKB3|A|None|None|None|None|RightStickLeft
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireDown_UKB3|S|None|None|None|None|RightStickDown
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireRight_UKB3|D|None|None|None|None|RightStickRight
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireUpAlt|None|None|None|None|None|Action4
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireLeftAlt|None|None|None|None|None|Action3
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireDownAlt|None|None|None|None|None|Action1
KeyBindingV3:Gamepad_FireRightAlt|None|None|None|None|None|Action2
KeyBindingV3:UseEnergySystem|None|None|None|None|Mouse1|RightTrigger
KeyBindingV3:UseMissileLauncher|Space|None|None|None|None|RightBumper
KeyBindingV3:UseConsumableSystem_UKB4|F|None|None|None|None|Select
KeyBindingV3:ExecuteLastDevScript|F8|None|LeftControl|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:DebugBatchRefreshTestChamber|K|None|None|None|None|None
KeyBindingV3:FireMainGun|None|None|None|None|Mouse0|None

Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Frumple

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:37 pm »
Hrm. Thank you for the response. I should have been clearer, heh -- completely forgot gamepad was even a thing. It seems to work pretty well for gamepad movement, but I'm using KB+M, and it doesn't work for that, heh. Actually messes with what I had managed before, makes moving force you to fire away from where you're aiming with the mouse, which is somewhat less than optimal, ehehe.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 05:52:13 pm »
Hm, that does make more sense. I was wondering why you'd want to move and fire in the same direction but decided to just roll with it.

There doesn't appear to be a way to do that from what I can tell in my five minutes of poking at the settings menu. Someone more experienced with the settings menu might be able to help though. (ptarth/pepisolo, I summon thee!)

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:16:00 pm »
Hm, that does make more sense. I was wondering why you'd want to move and fire in the same direction but decided to just roll with it.

Redshift.
Time is paused when you're not moving, which means your own shots don't travel either.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:23:19 pm »
Redshift.
Time is paused when you're not moving, which means your own shots don't travel either.

But having it fire where the mouse is would be better. Otherwise you'd have to move towards any enemy in order to fire, which would make combat much harder.

Offline Frumple

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:02:28 pm »
If you were looking for a reason to always be firing in the same direction you're moving, when you're moving, you could make the argument that even if it's not where you particularly want to be shooting, at least you're still doing something besides just moving, I guess? Without running the risk of letting too much time pass. It'd be a marginal improvement for most situations a redshift found themselves in, even if they were using mouse/stick aiming for primary use. Not many reasons besides aiming or focusing on something else to stop firing most main guns, and redshift covers aim while the fire/move link could cover focus, at least occasionally.

... if it didn't yank your aim away in the process, anyway. Maybe some kind of heavy homing setup (smart gun/hunter-killer/homing missile?) wouldn't really care where it was aiming...

Definitely be better if it just kept pointing your dakka at the aiming reticle, though, heh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk