Author Topic: Tricks to defeat Loco?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
Tricks to defeat Loco?
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:46:11 pm »
I find this miniboss quite unpredictable... It involves lots of fast random turns and (of course) lots of bullets in seemingly random composition. I never found a usable weakness for exploitation. I guess there is a way to defeat this without brute forcing with lightning reaction + CNC-grade precision. Are there any usable exploits against this?

Something like, kiting hunters while luring their shots, shooting spiders in their face and immediately sprint away, or running parallel to Acronis(spell?) then reverse at the moment of firing. The Trio doesn't generate bullethell so no problem there.

Currently I can only rely on reactions to dodge Loco's shots and itself. Normal speed is quite challenging for a new D-pad user.

PS. I found some patterns are significantly easier using analog, while others favor D-Pad, and some even favor keyboard/mouse. Circular motions are significantly easier with analog, and D-pad is particularly thumb-straining, IMO.

PSS. Of course, nothing matches the alpha strike precision of a mouse. Period.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Tricks to defeat Loco?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »
Loco follows the floor in a (sadly) consistent pattern (20 routes? eventually it will be true random, it's on the list). Shots are effectively random. I'd suggest finding a place off the track, dodge shots, and then plaster him as he goes by. Given his speed chasing him is somewhat problematic, so I'd advise against it.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »
Loco follows the floor in a (sadly) consistent pattern (20 routes? eventually it will be true random, it's on the list). Shots are effectively random. I'd suggest finding a place off the track, dodge shots, and then plaster him as he goes by. Given his speed chasing him is somewhat problematic, so I'd advise against it.

I found that the most problem comes in leading the shot at such a fast random target while dodging all those !!fun!! shot out.

So this is indeed a blaze-reaction type boss instead of a... rhythmic one?

Even Sunder on hard is easier than Loco on Normal. I think. I can at least perfect clear Sunder occasionally in test chamber(because on Hard I seldom have chance to see a boss), but I always sustain multiple hits from Loco... I am not used to reaction type enemies, yet.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:22:38 pm »
Think of it like hunting ducks from a duck blind. Except replace ducks with evil train with lasers and mortars. Loco shouldn't double back on a single trip, so if you know where he came from, you can predict where he will go. Most runs involve him moving through the center square. If you keep that area filled with bullets you can wear him down. Just don't worry about chasing him and keep dodging. His health is actually fairly low, he just moves fast.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 04:35:57 pm »
Think of it like hunting ducks from a duck blind. Except replace ducks with evil train with lasers and mortars. Loco shouldn't double back on a single trip, so if you know where he came from, you can predict where he will go. Most runs involve him moving through the center square. If you keep that area filled with bullets you can wear him down. Just don't worry about chasing him and keep dodging. His health is actually fairly low, he just moves fast.

"Double back"? Do you mean the exit and entrance will never be the same?

Well, sounds like a battle of attrition, for both sides. I will try it in test room.

Oh, and Humbel Mech + Energy Shield Module(forgot the name) + Energy Upgrade = Life improved a lot.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:59:37 pm »
re:doubleback
Correct. He shouldn't return to the place he entered from.

Offline Frumple

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:51:36 pm »
Ehehe, loco's probably the easiest miniboss to kill on normal, imo (unless you count the run-in-circles condemned hunter, I guess). At least in my experience the only real trick is getting down hitting the thing, after that there's just... not much to it. 1st floor loco'll die to three unupgraded precision railgun shots, and it doesn't take much from the non-redshift mechs to drop either. The thing's kinda' ridiculously flimsy for all it's pretty quick. Don't really have to learn dodging or patterns or anything, just make sure you don't miss (much) and the fight won't last long enough for much else to matter. Don't be afraid to add some missiles into the mix, though. Even baseline ones'll chunk the thing pretty well.

So far as easy/later game stuff, just about anything homing will roll loco into a ball and stuff it down the drain. Want to say a large homing missile with the sac shop boost'll one shot the thing on like floor five, for example, and you don't have to do much but aim in its general direction and press the fire missile button, maybe even press it twice, heh. Maybe another one or two if you don't have appropriate damage buffs.

... but yeah, I don't have much advice besides hit the thing. Worry about aim more than getting hit and there's good odds you won't really get hit. Redshift takes like maybe ten seconds to drop loco on normal, and everything else doesn't really seem to take much longer, so I've never really learned its patterns or anything, heh. Spraying shots in its general path like ptarth mentioned works a'ight, too, since even fairly low accuracy'll drop it decently fast. I don't know if it can be overstated that for all loco is kinda' intimidating (flashy, noisy, pointy) and pretty fast, the thing's a paper tiger. Scary but flimsy and falls apart if you hit it with just about anything. Hit it before it can do much and it's not a problem.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:55:18 pm by Frumple »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk