Author Topic: Starward Rogue Update 1.016: The Ricochet Sequel  (Read 19848 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Starward Rogue Update 1.016: The Ricochet Sequel
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 06:44:11 pm »
At this point I dont know how in the world anyone is supposed to keep track of who did/made what in these.

The important thing is just to remember to say that it wasnt your content when something breaks.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 06:49:06 pm »
Did you know, in svn there is actually a tool called the "blame" tool.  For any line of code, even, you can go and see who exactly touched it, and when, and what they did.  So you know where to point the finger.

I always thought that was a needlessly harsh way to name such a useful feature, haha.  In a big company I could see needing to go to Bob from 3 departments over and say "what does this MEAN???" about whatever feature, heh.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 07:09:48 pm »
The "personal responsible for this line of code, no matter how crappy or confusing it is" tool just didn't catch on for some reason.

Also, it is ALWAYS Misery's fault. Unless it was Craig's fault. Or Cinth's fault. They should really learn to check my code better before using it.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 07:28:02 pm »
"Blame" is a harsh word, yeah. I saw a similar feature in Atlasian Source Tree during a contract I did over the new year.  Though it was commit based ("blame commit for..." kind of wording).

But at the same time I am unsure of a better word for it.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 07:33:09 pm »
Did you know, in svn there is actually a tool called the "blame" tool.  For any line of code, even, you can go and see who exactly touched it, and when, and what they did.  So you know where to point the finger.

I always thought that was a needlessly harsh way to name such a useful feature, haha.  In a big company I could see needing to go to Bob from 3 departments over and say "what does this MEAN???" about whatever feature, heh.

I actually used that to point out to Pepisolo that he uploaded something that was throwing XML errors all over the place.  I did kill the error first though. 

The "personal responsible for this line of code, no matter how crappy or confusing it is" tool just didn't catch on for some reason.

Also, it is ALWAYS Misery's fault. Unless it was Craig's fault. Or Cinth's fault. They should really learn to check my code better before using it.

Unless it's the reanimator boss that had naming conflicts written all over it, then it's your fault??  ;) 

If we ever [redacted] we'll have to [redacted] and deadly [redacted] real life zombies [redacted].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfKdKWJEkM

Flashbacks!!!!
Flashbacks on the forum!  Flashbacks on the forum!!  That's it!!!  That's IT!!!!  I'm sick of these [redacted] flashbacks on this [redacted] forum!!
Of course I went there...how could I not? :P

The flashback I had wasn't a pleasant one.  It wasn't even forums related :/

I like how this thread went from me ribbing Chris to assigning blame through SVN in like 3 hours time.  So much derail :D
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 08:14:17 pm »

I actually used that to point out to Pepisolo that he uploaded something that was throwing XML errors all over the place.  I did kill the error first though. 

Unless it's the reanimator boss that had naming conflicts written all over it, then it's your fault??  ;) 

If we ever [redacted] we'll have to [redacted] and deadly [redacted] real life zombies [redacted].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfKdKWJEkM

Flashbacks!!!!
Flashbacks on the forum!  Flashbacks on the forum!!  That's it!!!  That's IT!!!!  I'm sick of these [redacted] flashbacks on this [redacted] forum!!
Of course I went there...how could I not? :P

The flashback I had wasn't a pleasant one.  It wasn't even forums related :/

I like how this thread went from me ribbing Chris to assigning blame through SVN in like 3 hours time.  So much derail :D

well that's half the point of making threads in the first place it wouldn't be any fun otherwise ya?.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 08:15:40 pm »
"Blame" is a harsh word, yeah. I saw a similar feature in Atlasian Source Tree during a contract I did over the new year.  Though it was commit based ("blame commit for..." kind of wording).

I know, right?  I've occasionally mused on that for like a decade, and... nothing better.  Ah well. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 08:17:41 pm »
Also, it is ALWAYS Misery's fault.

This is what I usually assume.

*game crashes after changing nothing* "Oh crap what did I just do"

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 11:12:10 pm »
It's called "blame" because, if you have to ask, that's what you're looking for :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 12:16:08 am »
It's called "blame" because, if you have to ask, that's what you're looking for :)

True in a small team -- I never use that thing.  But I can imagine seeing some strange code at a company like Microsoft and wanting to go ask the original author "okay this seems strange: if I change it, it's not going to start making ATMs eat cards or flush the toilet or something, right?"

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 05:01:56 am »
No no, credit card processing is much much more terrifying:

Point of Sale: "¥2000 please"
Credit card transaction into the US: "Convert that"
Some (broken) system: "Okie, $2000."
Bank: "Transaction validated, confirmed for $2000."

A friend of mine worked at a company where that happened.  It somehow went into production after it had been checked over by the regulatory agencies and it was that bad.  It converted currency simply by changing what currency it wanted.  IIRC, they hadn't meant to push it live, but yeah.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 05:11:23 am »

I know, right?  I've occasionally mused on that for like a decade, and... nothing better.  Ah well. ;)
I once came across an svn client that allowed to use an alternate name for the blame feature: praise :).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 01:33:47 pm »
Yikes on the currency conversion!  That would be so incredibly much worse with certain other currencies, too.

And oh yeah, I have seen the praise thing!  Sometimes blame/praise.  I thought that was nice. :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 01:36:39 pm »
Such weak UI. Where's my "excoriate" button? ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 01:38:06 pm »
excoriate/laud

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk