Author Topic: Starward Rogue Update 1.016: The Ricochet Sequel  (Read 19844 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Starward Rogue Update 1.016: The Ricochet Sequel
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2016, 02:41:53 pm »
Descent:JitD is better if you play without the adventure mode thing that was added in the (third?) expansion, in my opinion.  That adds a ton of setup and teardown time, and the dungeons are smaller and less interesting as well.  The vanilla game plus the first couple of expansions prior to the adventure one are the ones I like the most.  But yeah, expect an hour or so for setup if you already know what you're doing, and then maybe 5-11 hours of gameplay. 

I made a "Fast Tactics" variant years ago (it's on the BGG site I believe) that can cut that down to 3-5 hours of play instead of 5-11, without making it any less interesting.  Basically it gets rid of a lot of the inventory-juggling and so forth relating to simple things like just going back to town, and things like turns where players are ideally placing themselves before breaching a door, etc.  That stuff is going to happen anyway, so basically fast-forward through that bit, was my overall intent.

Space Alert is super fun, but also super stressful for my group.  We don't like being on a timer, and sometimes we'd miss the voice cues from the CD, etc.

Shadows over Camalot was one that we enjoyed pretty well, but it felt like it was too samey every time, honestly.  It was great for a number of plays, but then it gave me kind of the same sense that Left 4 Dead did: okay, here comes the same thing again, but with some suuuper minor variances thrown in.

Never heard of Sentinels of the Multiverse, sounds awesome. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2016, 04:41:39 pm »
Space Alert is super fun, but also super stressful for my group.  We don't like being on a timer, and sometimes we'd miss the voice cues from the CD, etc.

Shadows over Camalot was one that we enjoyed pretty well, but it felt like it was too samey every time, honestly.  It was great for a number of plays, but then it gave me kind of the same sense that Left 4 Dead did: okay, here comes the same thing again, but with some suuuper minor variances thrown in.

Totally fair critiques on both games.
Of course, I made Shadows harder on my college group after they thought they'd solved the game.  I pointed out that they were doing the grail quest wrong.  They were playing grails down the same way that Desolation works.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2016, 05:27:44 pm »
hey so this thread was about board games yes? I think? well id like to ask if twilight struggle is worth playing? I've been following it on steam for a while and apparently its also a board game.
c.r

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »
hey so this thread was about board games yes? I think? well I T'Would like to ask if twilight struggle is worth playing? I Most Certainly Have been following it on steam for a while and apparently its also a board game.

Pretty sure it was about a patch for Starward Rogue. ;)

But yeah, Twilight Struggle is a lot of fun. It's pretty complex, and I routinely lose at it (to my friend who plays it much better than I do), but I keep coming back anyway. So I guess maybe it's less about the game, but still.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2016, 07:09:01 pm »
hey so this thread was about board games yes? I think? well I T'Would like to ask if twilight struggle is worth playing? I Most Certainly Have been following it on steam for a while and apparently its also a board game.

Pretty sure it was about a patch for Starward Rogue. ;)

But yeah, Twilight Struggle is a lot of fun. It's pretty complex, and I routinely lose at it (to my friend who plays it much better than I do), but I keep coming back anyway. So I guess maybe it's less about the game, but still.
yea but I'm pretty sure everybody in it completely forgot about the patch when they started nerding over board games still ill probably play it by my self being the anti social person I am.
c.r

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2016, 07:54:55 pm »
and I routinely lose at it (to my friend who plays it much better than I do), but I keep coming back anyway. So I guess maybe it's less about the game, but still.

I said something similar about Roll for the Galaxy once several times:
"About 75% of the people who play this game loose, so really there's no shame in that."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk