Author Topic: Starward Rogue -- AuGMENTED testing feedback thread  (Read 35697 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Starward Rogue -- AuGMENTED testing feedback thread
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 02:50:27 pm »
I've only made it out of there alive once.
Bug report, someone survived! Crack down!

(just kidding)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 03:41:52 pm »
While I'm not a tester, this seems to be the place for feedback so...

Does anyone else feel like the Banshee challenge room (I think that's what it's called) is absolutely absurdly broken?  Within a couple seconds of entering, literally the entire room is filled with projectiles to a density that's impossible to avoid, the game framerate absolutely tanks, and it's nearly a guaranteed death - I've only made it out of there alive once.

Banshees:  Never, ever hit more than one of them at a time.  Concentrate fire on just one, make absolutely sure you're not including another in the attack by accident.  When the thing is about to fire, dash behind it, far as you can go.  DONT attack a banshee that has it's back to a wall (because you wont be able to rush away behind it).   If you use a missile to just as the thing is about to fire... striking it right in the front... you'll actually cancel it's entire attack.

I've been through that room a few times now, never really had any problems with it.  Granted I'm aware I'm an unusual case, but still.... proves that it's possible to do it without getting hit.   Banshees are annoying, but they're not exactly one of the really dangerous enemies in the game.

Offline Soupinator

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 05:55:42 pm »
So they're only supposed to shoot back after you hit them?  I'll have to keep that in mind but I swear they all start firing as soon as I hit one of them, and it's literally just a room full of nothing but projectiles at that point.  The only way I've been able to get through it so far was one run where I was so powerful I could pretty much one-shot them and killed them all within about 2 seconds.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2018, 06:05:48 pm »
So they're only supposed to shoot back after you hit them?  I'll have to keep that in mind but I swear they all start firing as soon as I hit one of them, and it's literally just a room full of nothing but projectiles at that point.  The only way I've been able to get through it so far was one run where I was so powerful I could pretty much one-shot them and killed them all within about 2 seconds.

Yep, banshees don't do anything until you hit them (and only the one hit starts attacking).

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2018, 06:33:25 pm »
Make it an energy weapon with a very low energy cost?

Quote from: Draco18s
I took a stab at doing it, but making it a primary weapon is beyond my capabilities, as the main weapon system needs to be "always active" in order to aim (otherwise you can only aim in the direction you're walking) but the dash effect needs to be "only when you fire" or you constantly dash (into the nearest wall) and I don't know how to reconcile that.

Aside from that, it's freaking hilarious.
https://youtu.be/oLiknrR1zAU
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:14:26 pm by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2018, 06:38:23 pm »
Make it an energy weapon with a very low energy cost?

I mean, I could. Would be easy.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:53 pm »
Hum, noticed something else.

The probation items aren't (always?) showing up at the top of the screen when active.

As in, I pick it up and the next never appears.

https://youtu.be/ZwtXP0v4OH0

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:08 pm »
Quick thing:  I was watching an LP vid earlier, and the player grabbed the "don't take any damage" probation.  He went into the very next room, which was one of those rooms without enemies but with spikes and turrets, and promptly stomped on a bunch of spikes, taking both shield and HP damage.  The probation condition didn't activate here... it persisted anyway.  In the next room, with actual enemies, it did respond to another hit he took there.

So.... not sure what's up with that.

Well, even just one Banshee fires *alot* of bullets and can fill an area with pain.  That's why you have to be so careful with them.  After enough practice, you'll find they're actually not nearly as tough to deal with as they look.... plenty of other enemies are more dangerous.  But their pattern is definitely intimidating.   When it's too much, just remember that a single missile can completely stop it if you hit the bullet that's forming in front of them. 

The biggest risk though is if you have the sort of robot familiar that attacks things automatically.  In any situation with Banshees around, this can set them off when you're not ready.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2018, 08:43:52 pm »
IIRC 'taking damage' doesn't include collision damage.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2018, 09:46:25 pm »
IIRC 'taking damage' doesn't include collision damage.

It absolutely does. I took that very same probation in my last run, as Penumbra, and took shield damage for walking on Spikes and it poofed.

Not sure why it didn't poof for that guy...

Something's clearly up with the probation items...

Offline Soupinator

« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2018, 10:03:19 pm »
I actually got a perfect on a boss after taking one collision damage from him today.  That was a bit odd.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2018, 09:57:57 am »
Hum, noticed something else.

The probation items aren't (always?) showing up at the top of the screen when active.

As in, I pick it up and the next never appears.

https://youtu.be/ZwtXP0v4OH0
Did some investigating and it turns out repeats don't work for probations at the moment. You probably already had that one on a previous floor, so it didn't trigger at all that time. Minor problem, but still a problem.

As for the damage related discussion: Running into an enemy doesn't count, be it for a probation or counter-attack style powers. Stepping on spikes definitely should though.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:01 am »
As for the damage related discussion: Running into an enemy doesn't count, be it for a probation or counter-attack style powers. Stepping on spikes definitely should though.

Regarding the damage stuff, that's a longstanding oddity about the engine that it would be nice to correct. For some reason contact damage is treated differently to shot damage, which has caused problems in the past, and which will probably continue to cause problems. If we could make those two damage types be treated the same way, then that should be much better. I can't currently think of a downside to that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk